New Apple TV vs New Roku XD/S

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I just recently received both the new Apple TV and Roku XD/S. I was really undecided between them and thought what the heck just get them both and send back the one you like the least.

I am not really going to get into a detailed review of each. Just going to sort of give a run down.

First of all content wise, the Roku wins hands down. And apparently they are continuing to add with Hulu Plus coming soon. The Apple TV of course will give you Netflicks, YouTube, Flicker, Podcast, iTunes, Streaming from your own computer. The Roku gives Netlfix, other movie services like Amazon and of course many other things like MLB etc. Lots of content on the Roku.

When I really compared the content and though about what would I really be watching or using, the Roku while it definitely provides more content has a lot of junk on it that I would never watch. It also doesn't allow me to stream my own content at least not without having to jump through hoops.

I also found the interface on the Roku to be sluggish at times and streaming not as smooth as the Apple TV. I have to say that Apple did an excellent job optimizing the Apple TV to run very fast and everything just pops. Of course I think it would also depend on your internet speed too.

The Roku has its advantages though in that it does stream at 1080p, while the Apple TV will only do 720p. However, I honestly couldn't really see the difference in comparing. I also think for streaming purposes it just makes sense to do 720p.

Apple Radio channels in my opinion sound horrible by comparison to some of the radio content Pandora, MOG on the Roku. However, when I listen to those it won't be on my TV. I have an iPod Touch and iPhone 4 for that purpose, so that is of little advantage for me personally, though I can see this being important for others. I've also heard that Slacker maybe added to the Roku at some point too.

Over all I have to say that if I was not already so invested in iTunes with all my content along with using MobileMe, that I'd likely go Roku all the way. I really do recommend it strongly. I think they have done an excellent job with this product and I think they will continue to expand the content.

However, at the end of the day given my own personal situation I did decide to keep the Apple TV. The smoothness, the speed at which it operates and of course the integration with all the content that I already have in iTunes, just makes it a no brainer. I've ripped tons of movies using Handbreak in iTunes.

In summary, I think the Roku for most would likely be the better product, but I think for me the Apple TV will do the job.

I know some will knock the Apple TV simply because it is an Apple product. I think this version of Apple TV will be better than previous versions. Roku has certainly made great improvements in these newer versions over previous ones. You also can select from 3 models starting at $59 up to $99.

It will be interesting to see what Google TV does in this market at some point too.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Do they send you this stuff to review & put on youtube? :right:

They have make-up queens on youtube that get free stuff sent to them so they can review & put on their channel. Maybe you can do that with this stuff, too :idea: :)
Posted via Mobile Device

lronglien

Nov 10, 2008
Roku

I see where Roku has a S/XM channel. To use it you need to use something called TVersity. Has any one figured out if TVersity can be downloaded to a MAC so you can use the S/XM channel on Roku??

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
I like the thought if going this route, however, I watch many HBO Series which I assume aren't available on either device, correct?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I see where Roku has a S/XM channel. To use it you need to use something called TVersity. Has any one figured out if TVersity can be downloaded to a MAC so you can use the S/XM channel on Roku??

TVersity is Windows only. I've used it to transcode files from network storage to my XBoxen.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I like the thought if going this route, however, I watch many HBO Series which I assume aren't available on either device, correct?

My understanding is Google TV has already signed an agreement to bring HBO to go on their setup. However, as of yet no broadcast networks or ESPN. Google TV is also going to be apps available to be used. So, I think we'll certainly see Apple open up adding apps to Apple TV. I also see that with their upcoming Airplay, you'll be able to stream another iOS device apps like Hulu Plus or any of the sports streaming apps. However, if they open apps up to run on Apple TV, this reduced the value of Airplay. So, it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Interesting turn of events though. I called Roku to do an RMA, they personal I spoke with asked me if they gave me $25 refund if I'd keep the device. I said YES and gave it to my son. Today the refund showed up on my account. So, I basically got the Roku XD/s for $75. My son loves it and at least now I'll be able to play with it from time to time to see what all they continue to add to it.

Streamed some HD programming from my Mac Mini last night via Apple TV. The quality was freaking AMAZING for streaming!

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
If you want ESPN you can always get an Xbox. They just started streaming ESPN 3. You get a lot of games. It's pretty nice. It also has Netflix too. It streams in HD and looks great too. I also use it as a DVR with Windows 7 Media Center for some over the air shows.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I've seen True Blood and Eastbound and Down on iTunes. I don't know about old shows like The Sopranos but I think I've seen them too. I don't have access to iTunes right this minute otherwise I'd look.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I've seen True Blood and Eastbound and Down on iTunes. I don't know about old shows like The Sopranos but I think I've seen them too. I don't have access to iTunes right this minute otherwise I'd look.

Don't forget Apple TV is currently only allowing rentals. So, if it isn't currently available for rent, you won't see it on ATV. I see a lot of stuff missing!

You do have the option of buying it and it would stream from your Mac or PC to ATV, but I am not buying crap anymore.

I honestly believe if Apple doesn't open up some additional content, this ATV2 isn't going to be anymore successful than the previous version. Especially if at some point Fox or ABC decide this rental thing isn't working for them.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Installed ATV in 2-3 minutes. So simple. The unit itself is small. Very minimalistic. I have a Boxee Box, (D-Link), pre-ordered through Amazon for end of November so I'll compare the 2.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Boxee Box Arrived. I won't have time to connect it for a day or 2. One MAJOR bummer that I found out is that Vudu and NetFilx aren't active yet. Now D-Link is saying end of year, WTF? If that's the case, then the BB will be going right back to Amazon and I'll have to declare Roku XDS the winner by default. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Boxee Box Arrived. I won't have time to connect it for a day or 2. One MAJOR bummer that I found out is that Vudu and NetFilx aren't active yet. Now D-Link is saying end of year, WTF? If that's the case, then the BB will be going right back to Amazon and I'll have to declare Roku XDS the winner by default. Stay tuned.

The reviews I have sent already are saying that Hulu and Netflix aren't working yet. Why on earth would you release it if those things weren't active yet. What a dumb move that is.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
I installed and played with the Roku XDS for a bit tonight. Setup and installation was a piece of cake. Connected to my wireless "N" Network with ease. I LOVE the Amazon VOD Channel! This was the main reason for my purchase. I also added Pandora and Netflix - although I think Netflix has a very weak streaming offering. Hopefully, I be able to fire up the Boxee Box tomorrow but so far the Roku will meet all of my needs and at half the price of the Boxee Box.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Weak compared to what? I don't know of any streaming video service that comes close.

Your'e joking, right? Try Amazon VOD, VUDU or even ATV. My experience with Netflix has been laughable. No streaming titles for movies that I want. DVD only. Netflix just isn't there when it comes to VOD.

Last edited: