Netflix coming to PS3

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
That's screwy. I imagine they'll replace that with an app once people bitch enough.

I thought the same thing. Sony will end up adding a Netflix interface in one of the PS3 System Updates, then people won't need the Netflix DVD to access the Netflix interface.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That's screwy. I imagine they'll replace that with an app once people bitch enough.

Once Sony has proof that enough people will use the service to make it worth their time to invest in developing the app. Till then, the experiment gets funded by Netflix.

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
PlayOn media software has allowed Netflix streaming to a PS3 for some time now. Its better too cause you can stream stuff even with a $4.99/month plan (what I have). Most others require $8.99 minimum Netflix plan. Not sure how this new PS3 Netflix plan will be, but with the 360, you also have to have a Xbox live gold plan ($50/yr).

Granted, you have to have a home network & PC running the installed PlayON software in order to have it work with Netflix streaming, but I imagine most of the PS3 owners out there are tech savy to some extent & already have a desktop of some sort & home network running as well.

check it out: PlayOn software info

*** Oh, did I mention that PlayON allows you to stream Hulu to your devices as well. Another benefit ***

Last edited:

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Once Sony has proof that enough people will use the service to make it worth their time to invest in developing the app. Till then, the experiment gets funded by Netflix.

Yeah but, the 360 already does it, so you know that Sony will do it because they don't want that feature to be available exclusively for their competition.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
How long until the Internet service providers start with the metered bandwidth model?
I'd bet that they object to people building and delivering these innovations over "their" pipes.

Tristan

Oct 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.tristanpipo.com
That is kinda lame that you will need the disc to play the Netflix Instant service on the PS3. I ordered my disc. So now that's Mac Mini, Tivo HD, XBOX 360 and PS3 that can all play Netflix Instant from my entertainment center.

Not sure how this is a bad thing this all seems like a good thing for the Netflix customer.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
The Sony press release states:

“Initially, watching movies instantly streamed from Netflix via the PS3 system will be enabled by a free, instant streaming Blu-ray disc that is being made available to all Netflix members.â€

Since they used the word "Initially", this wording seems to indicate that a PS3 System Update is in the works and that the Netflix DVD will be a temporary solution for accessing the Netflix content.