Need general GPS info

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
I know ZERO about GPS units. My brother just won a Garmin GPS at the boardwalk. He got it with one of those claw dropping machines... I can't believe it! I thought those claws were too weak to lift anything worthwhile.

Anyway, I saw him using his brand new GPS in his truck, and he's new to the whole GPS thing too, so I'm not sure if he could properly answer the questions I had about it.

I'm interested in purchasing the Garmin nuvi 855. Is there a subscription that you eventually need to pay for to keep the unit in operation?

After the purchase of the unit, is there anything else that I need to pay for to keep the unit in operation? For example, is there a charge for updating its maps?

(stupid questions, I know, but I know nothing about them!) :confused:

Any comments (good or bad) about the nuvi 855 will also be appreciated. :)

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
Do you like messing around with software a little bit? The reason why i ask is because for a quarter of the price of the Garmin unit, you can purchase a navigon or similar hackable unit, run IGO8 on it (or tomtom7, GarminXT, Destinator8 etc), and have a better unit than Garmin IMO of course.

There is nothing wrong with Garmin, it is a good software. If you know where to look, I think you can get map updates for free. I KNOW for a fact where you can get free map updates for Navigon and IGO8. From all the people who I have talked to, IGO8 blows any other software away. You will be amazed.

Here are some IGO8 pics for you:

Of course, if you want a good working unit out of the box, Garmin is fine. TomTOM is good, but I have heard Navigon is better, and IGO is the best.

On my navigon i run
-Miopocket
-TomTom7
-GarminXT
-Original Navigon Software
-Igo8
-Destinator8

Very very rarely will I use anything besides Igo8 or Navigon.

Let me know if you need more info

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
I have the 855 and have had it since December. I paid $450 at that time. I like the unit. There is the option to purchase the MSN antenna/power cord. I recommend going this route versus buying the 885 which includes the above cord. Why? The entry cost equal out, but you get a full year of MSN services versus 90 days with the purchase of the units that include the antenna/power cord. Garmin | Traffic: MSN Direct The MSN service is or was $40/year. It has some useful services if you live in a metropolitan area serviced by MSN. You do not have to subscribe to MSN and the unit still works just fine.

If speech recognition/operation is not important to you, look at the less expensive units. The 500 series is waterproof if that is a requirement. Going Garmin is the best way in my opinion and I researched a ton.

There is a fee for updating maps, but with a purchase of a current model, you will have the latest, greatest. I do use mine almost everyday for entertainment and tracking mileage for the IRS. You can probably buy a 855 for 1/2 of what I paid which is good for you.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Do you like messing around with software a little bit? The reason why i ask is because for a quarter of the price of the Garmin unit, you can purchase a navigon or similar hackable unit, run IGO8 on it (or tomtom7, GarminXT, Destinator8 etc), and have a better unit than Garmin IMO of course.

There is nothing wrong with Garmin, it is a good software. If you know where to look, I think you can get map updates for free. I KNOW for a fact where you can get free map updates for Navigon and IGO8. From all the people who I have talked to, IGO8 blows any other software away. You will be amazed.

Of course, if you want a good working unit out of the box, Garmin is fine. TomTOM is good, but I have heard Navigon is better, and IGO is the best.

On my navigon i run
-Miopocket
-TomTom7
-GarminXT
-Igo8
-Destinator8

I've been using a Garmin for almost 2 years now. Are you saying that this IGO8 software will work better than the Garmin software?

The Navigon units look great. I like how they tell you what lanes you need to be in when there is oncoming interstates :)

Does the IGO8 software have truck routing? I can get along with out it. Have been for years with Garmin and Microsoft Streets and Trips.

Thanks for the info :)

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
I have the 855 and have had it since December. I paid $450 at that time. I like the unit. There is the option to purchase the MSN antenna/power cord. I recommend going this route versus buying the 885 which includes the above cord. Why? The entry cost equal out, but you get a full year of MSN services versus 90 days with the purchase of the units that include the antenna/power cord. Garmin | Traffic: MSN Direct The MSN service is or was $40/year. It has some useful services if you live in a metropolitan area serviced by MSN. You do not have to subscribe to MSN and the unit still works just fine.

If speech recognition/operation is not important to you, look at the less expensive units. The 500 series is waterproof if that is a requirement. Going Garmin is the best way in my opinion and I researched a ton.

There is a fee for updating maps, but with a purchase of a current model, you will have the latest, greatest. I do use mine almost everyday for entertainment and tracking mileage for the IRS. You can probably buy a 855 for 1/2 of what I paid which is good for you.

I'm just starting with this, clueless.

OH, the voice navigation. And I'm downloading this voice (if I can!) What a great voice, I hope it's available here.

Amazing.

How do you feel about the speech deal?

I'm just... nevermind. :p

Here: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HQj-2SgnYI]YouTube - Garmin 860 voice recognition[/ame]

TOM C.

Oct 25, 2008
Charleston SC
Do you like messing around with software a little bit?

On my navigon i run
-Miopocket
-TomTom7
-GarminXT
-Igo8
-Destinator8

I just got a Navigon last week, would love more info

Last edited:

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
This talk about Navigon and IGO8 was interesting, until I learned they're just software for phones. I don't want a new phone, and I don't want to use my phone to navigate my car. My Garmin 260 was just $130, and its fantastic. It live in the car. My phone lives on my hip. Everyone's happy.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ

I found the 855 online for $245 with free shipping. I think I'll buy one today.

:)

TOM C.

Oct 25, 2008
Charleston SC
This talk about Navigon and IGO8 was interesting, until I learned they're just software for phones. I don't want a new phone, and I don't want to use my phone to navigate my car. My Garmin 260 was just $130, and its fantastic. It live in the car. My phone lives on my hip. Everyone's happy.

A Navigon is a GPS unit, The company is from Germany and is the #1 GPS maker in Europe. I just pick up one and it is great, with voice. $85

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
I'm just starting with this, clueless.

OH, the voice navigation. And I'm downloading this voice (if I can!) What a great voice, I hope it's available here.

Amazing.

How do you feel about the speech deal?

I use the voice recognition and it works! I put the on/off button on my door jam handle. It would not fit on my leather wrapped steering wheel. You talk to the unit, not the switch. I use the female Australian voice. You have to use a little patience with it as it reacts slower than a normal conversation. I also did the FM transmitter deal as I quickly got tired of the turn by turn directions. So now I have one way conversations most of the time. I like telling a woman what to do with no back talk. ;)

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
A Navigon is a GPS unit, The company is from Germany and is the #1 GPS maker in Europe. I just pick up one and it is great, with voice. $85

Someone should tell their web folks that. All they list is an app for the iPhone at navigon.com.

I found a press release from May saying they were getting out of the PND market in North America.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
I found a press release from May saying they were getting out of the PND market in North America.

This is true. Major bummer IMO.

Oren, you will love the Garmin, and will soon ask yourself how you lived without it.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
This is true. Major bummer IMO.

Oren, you will love the Garmin, and will soon ask yourself how you lived without it.

I'm looking forward to it. I ordered it yesterday afternoon. :Smiley_wink:

What about the voice? I read the owners manual online, and it doesn't cover too much. Are there several voices to select from? I see that the Garmin Garage has about 3 to select from, but they're all humorous types of voices. I want the British lady.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
It still didn't ship yet! :bigcry:

Anyone know about the voice(s)? Is there only one stock voice, or does it have more than one to select from?

I must have the British lady!! Must! (she's hot!) lol :ignore:

:p

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'm pretty sure the Garmin site lists the voices for each model. Mine has a bunch of them, and I downloaded several more. For a while I dreamed of making a Dalek voice with an editor I found, but it was too much work and none of my ring modulators sound right.