NBA Off-Season Thread

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Use this thread to discuss any off-season news in the NBA.

We've had quite a few trades this week, with Richard Jefferson "movin' on up" to the Spurs, and Mike Miller and Randy Foye going to Washington for the 5th overall pick.

But last night was a big one, and I'm guessing Cleveland will be on national TV quite a bit next season. Shaquille O'Neal is now a Cavalier. I just think it's too bad they couldn't get this deal done during last season when they were discussing it. But better late than never I guess.

Steel Cranium, what's your take on this?

Sources: Phoenix Suns agree to send Shaquille O'Neal to Cleveland Cavaliers - ESPN

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
A good move by both teams. All players have an expiring contract next year - Wallace may even retire this summer. Neither team gave up an important piece of their team. Pavlovic is a role player in the Cleveland gameplan due to inconsistency when he had a chance to start. Shaq played 76 games last year and was productive, so should require a double-team. That takes a double-team away from Lebron or gives him single coverage down low. If he does go down to injury, they still have Z, who was their starting center.

The Cavs have a state of the art training facility (including underwater treadmills to accommodate a 7' 6" player) so Shaq should be able to stay in shape. He should be able to teach big-man skills to the two young widebodies on the Cavs roster. Should be better than getting instruction from Z. "the big Aristotle", "the big cactus"... next: "the big pierogi"?

Now, its time to get some big guards.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Steve Kerr really screwed up that team. As long as they're getting rid of talent, why not trade Amare Stoudemire to Houston? The Rockets have a HUGE expiring contract named Tracy McGrady.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I agree about the Suns. As a fan, I'd be disappointed with their moves in recent years.

Good pick up by the Cavaliers. If Shaq can put together another season like the last one, the Cavs will be in good shape.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Nets send Vince Carter to Magic in 5-player deal - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

The top of the Eastern Conference should be really interesting next year.

Imagine a healthy Kevin Garnett with the Celtics, Vince Carter with the Magic, and Shaq with the Cavaliers!

I'm sure Magic fans were fretting about losing Hedo Turkoglu to free agency, but replacing him with Vince Carter is a pretty good deal. He's not "Vinsanity" of the Toronto days, but still a very good player. You're right, the top of the East is going to be tremendous next season.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX

Depends how you look at it. If he can't play at all next season, then certainly 2009-10 will be a lost cause (maybe turn it into a high Lottery pick).

But if Yao's injury is so bad that it can't heal enough for him to play, the Rockets need to cut ties with him. He's going to be plagued by injuries the rest of his career. It's unfortunate, but with a 7'6'', 300 pound body, it just puts too much pressure on his joints and bones.

So Yao has 2 years left on his contract. However, if it's ruled by doctors that he can't ever play again, then part of his contract comes off the books as far as the salary cap goes. And of course Tracy McGrady's contract is up after next season. So if the Rockets get all the possible money off the books by the summer of 2010, they can be a serious player in that big free agent class. I seriously doubt LeBron or even Dwyane Wade would come to Houston, but the Rockets could get one or two very good players.

So this is certainly bad news for Rockets fans. But better it happen now then AFTER the Rockets extend Yao and give him another max contract. At least with it happening now, they have some options going forward.

One other thing, if Yao is ruled out for next season, I think it makes the Ron Artest decision very easy. DO NOT resign him. He's a nice second or third option, but having him as the focal point of your team is asking for trouble.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Rockets GM Daryl Morey is using Twitter to try and sign Marcin Gortat...

t_589_1246448329.jpg

This sucks. From Yao Ming to Marcin Gortat?

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Marcin Gortat?

I don't think I ever heard of him before, and I watched the Magic in the postseason! :icon_eek:

You don't know about the Polish Hammer?!?

He's only 25 and better than his statistics would indicate (tough to get on the floor playing behind Dwight Howard). But he's no quality starting NBA center, that's for sure. The Rockets options are very, very limited at this point.

They can't come out and say it because they want to sell tickets, but I hope they're planning on chalking up next season as a loss. Plan ahead for that free agent class of 2010. Who knows, maybe Dwyane Wade will come here. Chris Bosh would be nice too.

SI.com has a pretty interesting article that ranks the NBA cities by their attractiveness to free agents. Somewhat surprisingly, Houston is number 4 - Lakers, Heat lead rankings of NBA free-agent destinations - Steve Aschburner - SI.com

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Ben Gordon and Charlie Villenueva to the Detroit Pistons.

Pistons reach deals with Gordon, Villanueva

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 2 hours, 48 minutes ago
y_sports-hi.png
Printable View

Return to Original

More From Adrian Wojnarowski

The Detroit Pistons have reached agreement with free-agent guard Ben Gordon(notes) and forward Charlie Villanueva(notes), a source with knowledge of the talks told Yahoo! Sports Wednesday evening.
Gordon will receive a five-year contract worth around $55 million while Villanueva’s five-year deal is expected to be worth about $35 million.
Gordon and Villanueva, who played together for a year at UConn, traveled to Detroit on Wednesday morning to meet with Detroit president Joe Dumars and other Pistons front-office officials. They took a tour of the practice facility in Auburn Hills, had lunch with management and both ultimately came to terms on an agreement. Gordon agreed first and Villanueva followed soon after.

The loss of Gordon is a blow to the Bulls, who tried to re-sign the shooting guard. Gordon turned down contract extensions for $54 million and $50 million in the past two offseasons as a restricted free agent. It is believed the Bulls were willing to go to $10 million a season for him, but were outbid by the Pistons.
No free agents can sign until the league-mandated moratorium ends on July 8.
The Pistons also continue to negotiate with one of their own free agents, forward Antonio McDyess.
The signing of Gordon, 26, could make another former UConn player, Richard Hamilton, expendable in a trade. Hamilton, 31, could be used to bring back another low-post presence: perhaps Utah Jazz forward Carlos Boozer, Los Angeles Clippers’ center Chris Kaman or New Orleans Hornets center Tyson Chandler. Gordon averaged 20.7 points a game last season for the Bulls and 18.5 in his five seasons in Chicago. He was the third pick in the 2004 NBA draft.
Dumars is remaking the Pistons, who are expected to lose Rasheed Wallace to free agency. Dumars fired coach Michael Curry on Wednesday, and ex-Pistons coach Doug Collins is considered the frontrunner for the job. Sources say Collins still has to sell his staying power and stability to Detroit management. Former Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson will be considered, too.

Pistons reach deals with Gordon, Villanueva - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
My question is if they can agree to a deal on the 1st, why can't they sign until the 8th?

TSSJimmyCoN

Oct 13, 2008
Chitown
www.tss-radio.com
aaaalright. It's sad to see that the pistons are going to be a completely different team from their 2004 championship. I have fond memories of that roster and the remnants of that roster and I STILL am mad we got rid of chaunce but damn...this is looking to be good for us. I heard the next move is rip or rip and tayshaun for Bosh. Good move? I think so. We haven't had a solid big man in SO long.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
aaaalright. It's sad to see that the pistons are going to be a completely different team from their 2004 championship. I have fond memories of that roster and the remnants of that roster and I STILL am mad we got rid of chaunce but damn...this is looking to be good for us. I heard the next move is rip or rip and tayshaun for Bosh. Good move? I think so. We haven't had a solid big man in SO long.

Yes, on behalf of Nuggets fans everywhere. Thanks for Chauncey, and thanks for taking Iverson off our hands. :D :flowers:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
The rich just keep getting richer!

The Spurs add Richard Jefferson
The Cavaliers add Shaq
The Magic add Vince Carter
The Lakers add Ron Artest
and now, reportedly, the Celtics add Rasheed Wallace.

Rasheed Wallace to sign with Celtics - Chris Mannix - SI.com

It'll be fun seeing how the Celtics turn out next season. It all hinges on Garnett's health of course, but throwing 'Sheed into the mix could make for some interesting moments during the course of the season.

I'm not sure if Orlando really got better by replacing Turkoglu with Vince Carter. They're getting an older, shorter player in return. VC is still an above average player at age 32 and will do fine in Orlando, but I think losing Turkoglu will hurt them next season.

I'm glad Artest decided against returning to Houston. He played well here for one year, but without McGrady and Yao, he'd end up being the go-to player on the Rockets, which would not be good. He does much better as a contributor rather than a facilitator. Ariza will be a nice addition, not necessarily for next season, but down the road as this team undergoes what looks to be a dramatic change in direction and personnel.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I don't know about this one. I hope it works out. I'd really like to see the Lakers Repeat :)

Artest displays good behavior when he's on a contending team, like last season with the Rockets. So I think he'll be fine with LA. It's when he's on poor teams like Sacramento a couple years ago when he gets bored and the knucklehead factor comes to the surface.

Plus, I think Kobe will be able to keep him in check.

It's going to be interesting to see if Odom resigns with LA. Apparently he and the Lakers are far apart right now with the contract negotiations. I think he'll probably end up in Portland. So, basically trading Artest for Ariza AND Odom...I think the Spurs would immediately become the team to beat in the West, with Portland right up there as well.

EDIT: I had to add this in, Ron Artest's "tribute" to Michael Jackson. It speaks for itself... :dj2:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJoMFiPF3mA[/ame]

Last edited:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Shawn Marion to the Mavericks in one of the more complicated sign-and-trades I've ever seen - Sources: Shawn Marion headed to Dallas Mavericks in four-team deal with Toronto Raptors and Memphis Grizzlies - ESPN

Dallas has also resigned Jason Kidd and is expected to sign free agent Marcin Gortat (breaking Rockets' fans hearts!). Good moves by Dallas, but I don't think it's enough to compete with LA and San Antonio.

This free agent signing period has been pretty crazy. Imagine what it'll be like next year when these guys hit the market:

LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Amar'e Stoudemire
Chris Bosh
Dirk Nowitzki
Steve Nash
Joe Johnson
Manu Ginobili
Ray Allen
Shaq
Richard Hamilton