NASCAR's Hunter in the fight of his life

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I had heard his name mentioned a few times during the banquet speeches but have never heard why. Prayers to Hunter and family. For the rest of you that may have been under the same rock as me.

NASCAR's vice president of corporate communications, Jim Hunter, 70, was diagnosed with small-cell lung cancer in his right lung the weekend of the October Chase race at Talladega Superspeedway. He hasn't been to the track since, missing the finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway for the first time and the season-ending banquet for the first time since his father died in the mid-1970s. Hunter says the chemotherapy treatments are going well and that the prognosis is positive even though the long-term survival rate for this disease isn't good. He was strong enough on Tuesday to drop by his Daytona Beach, Fla., office for a few hours and to play golf on Wednesday. He didn't hit the ball far, but as the man known for wearing golf shoes in the garage reminded me [ESPN's David Newton], "I never did anyway." [Newton] was made aware of Hunter's illness a few weeks after the Talladega race when he sent an e-mail explaining his situation. As usual, he chose to meet it head-on and not cover it up. Was reminded again of Hunter during Sunday's Fox NFL pregame show when, just before signing off, the words "Jim Hunter, keep fighting" blared through the television screen. [Newton] was reminded of him yet again that day as his wife and he put up the Christmas tree. Stumbling upon a heart-shaped ornament with Mr. and Mrs. Claus on one side and "Our First Christmas" on the other, Newton asked where it came from. "Jim Hunter," his wife said. It was a wedding gift received almost a year ago to the day. Hunter hasn't gone a day since the diagnosis without a call or e-mail from NASCAR President Mike Helton. Jimmie Johnson has e-mailed him numerous times. So has his golf buddy, Juan Pablo Montoya, and Tony Stewart, Brian Vickers, J.D. Gibbs, Felix Sabates and & well, you get the picture. Many of the drivers might not be where they are today if not for Hunter's intervention at times when their sometimes-volatile personalities or career-threatening habits were about to get the best of them.

Link to the entire article here..... NASCAR's Jim Hunter is in the fight of his life