NASCAR's Forgotten Series

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Ouch! What a year to begin your sponsorship of the NASCAR Truck Series. Camping World has to be going nuts over the economic downturn.

From the Bleacherreport.....

So far twelve teams have confirmed they will be racing in 2009, of these nine are fully sponsored, three others still need sponsorship and one team is running a limited schedule. As of today, their are thirteen teams with open rides both full and part-time and four drivers with some form of sponsorship looking for teams.

Eighteen drivers are looking for a ride in 2009, with a few big names in the series still looking (including Mike Skinner). We've had about ten teams close after the 2008 season.
Full story here..... The NASCAR Truck Series FacesTough Economic Times and a Fight To Survive | Bleacher Report

IMO the Camping World Truck Series has the most competitive racing of the big 3. I hate to see it fold up.

Reactions: antsie

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Thats terrible news. I knew all the series were having sponsorship troubles but I didn't know it was so bad in the truck series. You're right it does have the best racing of the three top series. It's going to be a rough year.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Worse before better I'm afraid
On the morning drive this morning EGR has 6 'cars' within the top 35 but only sponsorship for 3 and they're running a 4th in the Daytona 500. Two years ago you had teams that would kill to buy those owner points.

Easy Money

Oct 25, 2008
MS
www.myspace.com
This is scary stuff, how much worse can things get?
If it were to get bad enough, I could easily see how it would be down to Hendrick, Childress, Roush, and Gibbs. I think their sponsors would be the last ones to leave the sport. Lets just hope it doesnt get to that point.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
If it were to get bad enough, I could easily see how it would be down to Hendrick, Childress, Roush, and Gibbs. I think their sponsors would be the last ones to leave the sport. Lets just hope it doesnt get to that point.
It's basically only those guys in contention for the win each week anyways. It'd be a shame if it got worse.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
If it were to get bad enough, I could easily see how it would be down to Hendrick, Childress, Roush, and Gibbs.
It's basically only those guys in contention for the win each week anyways. It'd be a shame if it got worse.
Heck, if things got worse I could easily see a new 'stock car' racing series start up. In direct competition to nascar.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
"Heck, if things got worse I could easily see a new 'stock car' racing series start up. In direct competition to nascar. "

Just like Tony George could see a new "open wheel" series. In direct competition to CART?

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I was just being sarcastic because if there were two stock car series, it would be a death sentence. The IRL's only bargaining chip was the Indy 500. Thats how it survived. Everyone has everything to lose by splitting stock car racing.

gilpdawg

Oct 12, 2008
New Paris, OH
They wouldn't be that stupid. That nearly killed large scale open wheel racing in this country. 'Tis a shame too, because the racing is better in Indycar than it is in Nascar right now, and it's not even close.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I never said it would be the smart thing to do, but that I can see it being done.

As far as drivers.....there are SO many drivers out there just dying to get in nascar somewhere.

And if it was done right it could be good. Short tracks, saturday nights, etc.

I'm basically just thinking out loud.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Throw enough money out there and I bet you would see a lot of cars.

I would welcome anything thats beyond the control of the France family.
Who is supposed to throw all of this money out there? Would it be some corporation? Should it be some individual? Are you talking about franchising? :confused: