NASCAR's Forgotten Series

Discussion in 'NASCAR' started by dpkimmel2001, Jan 27, 2009.

1. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Well-Known Member

Ouch! What a year to begin your sponsorship of the NASCAR Truck Series. Camping World has to be going nuts over the economic downturn.

From the Bleacherreport.....

Full story here..... The NASCAR Truck Series FacesTough Economic Times and a Fight To Survive | Bleacher Report

IMO the Camping World Truck Series has the most competitive racing of the big 3. I hate to see it fold up.

antsie likes this.
  2. Snoozer

Snoozer Well-Known Member

Thats terrible news. I knew all the series were having sponsorship troubles but I didn't know it was so bad in the truck series. You're right it does have the best racing of the three top series. It's going to be a rough year.

3. k9feces

k9feces Member

This is scary stuff, how much worse can things get?

4. Snoozer

Worse before better I'm afraid
    On the morning drive this morning EGR has 6 'cars' within the top 35 but only sponsorship for 3 and they're running a 4th in the Daytona 500. Two years ago you had teams that would kill to buy those owner points.

5. Easy Money

Easy Money Active Member

If it were to get bad enough, I could easily see how it would be down to Hendrick, Childress, Roush, and Gibbs. I think their sponsors would be the last ones to leave the sport. Lets just hope it doesnt get to that point.

6. Snoozer

It's basically only those guys in contention for the win each week anyways. It'd be a shame if it got worse.

7. dpkimmel2001

Is there a limit as to how many truck teams you can field? Is it the same as Cup?

8. Easy Money

Easy Money Active Member

I never thought about it or heard it mentioned. Maybe Dave or someone will answer it.

9. mghtx

mghtx 2000 Man

Heck, if things got worse I could easily see a new 'stock car' racing series start up. In direct competition to nascar.

10. Snoozer

That wouldn't necessiarly be a bad thing.

11. DexterMorgan

DexterMorgan Active Member

"Heck, if things got worse I could easily see a new 'stock car' racing series start up. In direct competition to nascar. "

Just like Tony George could see a new "open wheel" series. In direct competition to CART?

12. Raceimages

Raceimages Member

I have been saying that for a couple years now. Bruton Smith has enough tracks he could easily say FU to NASCAR and start his own series.

13. Easy Money

Easy Money Active Member

What driver/teams would follow you think???????????????

14. DexterMorgan

DexterMorgan Active Member

I was just being sarcastic because if there were two stock car series, it would be a death sentence. The IRL's only bargaining chip was the Indy 500. Thats how it survived. Everyone has everything to lose by splitting stock car racing.

15. gilpdawg

gilpdawg Active Member

They wouldn't be that stupid. That nearly killed large scale open wheel racing in this country. 'Tis a shame too, because the racing is better in Indycar than it is in Nascar right now, and it's not even close.

16. dpkimmel2001

Michael Waltrip. He'd be the star of that series since there would only be probably a couple of cars racing. :eek:

17. mghtx

mghtx 2000 Man

I never said it would be the smart thing to do, but that I can see it being done.

As far as drivers.....there are SO many drivers out there just dying to get in nascar somewhere.

And if it was done right it could be good. Short tracks, saturday nights, etc.

I'm basically just thinking out loud.

18. antsie

antsie Well-Known Member

Ouch!!! lol

19. Raceimages

Raceimages Member

Throw enough money out there and I bet you would see a lot of cars.

I would welcome anything thats beyond the control of the France family.

20. dpkimmel2001

Who is supposed to throw all of this money out there? Would it be some corporation? Should it be some individual? Are you talking about franchising? :confused: