NASCAR - Random crap to talk about.....

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Minor Tweaks To Testing Ban - Saturday morning, Sprint Cup teams were given a few tweaks on the car-of-tomorrow and on testing for 2010. NASCAR officials are apparently leaning toward okaying Greenville-Pickens Speedway,SC for Cup testing next season, to give teams a less expensive testing venue @ a track closer to their Mooresville, NC, shops.

Montoya blows off interview - #42-Juan Pablo Montoya may be in trouble with NASCAR and certainly with its PR operations -- after an incident in which he blew off a pre-planned satellite interview with a major California Fox affiliate, Sacramento's KTXL. Montoya and NASCAR both are now on that station's D-list. See the video of the incident and Jim Crandell's commnetary about it and NASCAR's waning popularity @ Video Watch - KTXL I have to wonder how much outrage there would be if it were, say...., Kyle Busch. :scratch:

#18 car too low in post race inspection - #18-Kyle Busch, who missed making the Chase by just eight points, finished 5th in the Sylvania 300 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. But the left front of the #18 M&M's Toyota was too low in post-race inspection, and he could be penalized by NASCAR this week, usually announced on Tuesday afternoons.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Kasey Kahne, Sabotage? - 66 laps into the first Chase race. Engine shop in turmoil with recent announcement. I'm just saying.....

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Kasey Kahne, Sabotage? - 66 laps into the first Chase race. Engine shop in turmoil with recent announcement. I'm just saying.....

I think someone was trying to send a message :right:
Posted via Mobile Device

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Scum officals influence race-How about why Nascar waited to throw the yellow on the last lap while the entire feild of cars was about to plow into a stalled car sitting sideways on the track. But they wont hesistate to throw a yellow when there is a candy wrapper in turn 3.

Raceimages

Nov 17, 2008
Fairfield, CA
www.raceimages.net
Montoya blows off interview - #42-Juan Pablo Montoya may be in trouble with NASCAR and certainly with its PR operations -- after an incident in which he blew off a pre-planned satellite interview with a major California Fox affiliate, Sacramento's KTXL. Montoya and NASCAR both are now on that station's D-list. See the video of the incident and Jim Crandell's commnetary about it and NASCAR's waning popularity @ Video Watch - KTXL I have to wonder how much outrage there would be if it were, say...., Kyle Busch. :scratch:

Not like anyone was going to be watching that station. Trust me, it's the lowest rated news in Sacramento.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
That last lap caution was terrible. It was also terrible that they continued to race to the flag stand after the caution came out. I wonder what would be said today though if they threw the caution immediately and Dinger got the car moving right away? As far as candy wrapper, I don't recall that one.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Scum officals influence race-How about why Nascar waited to throw the yellow on the last lap while the entire feild of cars was about to plow into a stalled car sitting sideways on the track. But they wont hesistate to throw a yellow when there is a candy wrapper in turn 3.

I don't blame the drivers for not slowing down. The drivers don't know how nascar is going to score them. And what if Mark had blown a tire or been nudged from the back....before the yellow was thrown? And we wonder why fans question nascar?

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Montoya blows off interview

It will be VERY interesting to see how nascar handles this....compared to how they've handled similar situations with other drivers in the past. (will this be a "judgment call" :rolleyes: )

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Examples of other drivers blowing off interviews and their penalties?

The only people required to give interviews are the top three finishers. No one has ever been penalized for skipping out on a TV or radio interview.

Tony Stewart was penalized for skipping out on a post race media Q&A after he lost a race due to a phantom caution :worried:
Posted via Mobile Device

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Tony Stewart was penalized for skipping out on a post race media Q&A after he lost a race due to a phantom caution :worried:
Posted via Mobile Device

Was that his 'BS' slip in the ESPN interview? He was fined $25,000 and penalized 25 points. That was after his second Indy win in 2007.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Examples of other drivers blowing off interviews and their penalties?

I thought that I remembered something about penalties too but I can't find anything dealing with fines and driver interviews other than inappropriate language. That's happened several times.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Was that his 'BS' slip in the ESPN interview? He was fined $25,000 and penalized 25 points. That was after his second Indy win in 2007.

:scratch: I don't remember that one :right: I just remember Tony calling NaSCAR the WWE on his radio show. Everyone thinks NaSCAR fine him for his comments, but it was really skipping the post-race-media-center interview :worried:
Posted via Mobile Device

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
:scratch: I don't remember that one :right: I just remember Tony calling NaSCAR the WWE on his radio show. Everyone thinks NaSCAR fine him for his comments, but it was really skipping the post-race-media-center interview :worried:
Posted via Mobile Device

Tony did compare NASCAR to the WWE on his Sirius satellite radio show but I can't find anywhere that he was fined for that or for missing/refusing a post race press conference interview. He was referring to the mysterious "debris" cautions.

I think that this is what you referring to but he wasn't fined. He was just called to the hauler.....

NASCAR.com - Stewart meets with NASCAR to discuss media - October 31, 2003

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
I remember that one back in 2003. The WWE one was during the Hamlin Administration :)
Posted via Mobile Device

foyt

Oct 23, 2008
South of Terre Haute
Posted via Mobile Device

Yesterday Dale Earnhardt Junior called NA$CAR the WWE. He actually said he's expecting to hear from Vince McMahon after the "phantom caution".

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I remember that one back in 2003. The WWE one was during the Hamlin Administration :)
Posted via Mobile Device

He said the WWE thing last year on his radio show.

Yesterday Dale Earnhardt Junior called NA$CAR the WWE. He actually said he's expecting to hear from Vince McMahon after the "phantom caution".

I heard that last night on Claire's show but I can't find that anywhere in print today. Have you found a link? I was just looking for that.