NASCAR Media Group prepping for NASCAR Network?

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Good idea / Bad idea. What do you think?

The NASCAR Media Group is not even two years old, but nowhere is the sanctioning body spending more money or more carefully plotting its future. Over the next few months, the media group will start moving out of its cozy, well-worn offices just south of downtown Charlotte. Its new $45 million home - $30 million in state-of-the-art equipment, $15 million in construction - will be adjoining the sparkling NASCAR Hall of Fame building in the heart of downtown, where it will occupy floors two through five of the 19-story office tower. Inside, the group will have everything it needs to start its own network, from multiple studios and control rooms, to full graphics and high-definition capability. Even though the hall of fame won't open for another year, the office space adjoining the attraction will be ready for occupancy in June. It will give NASCAR nearly limitless options when it enters the next round of media talks - its current deals for TV, radio, mobile and the Internet expire in 2014. And the idea of joining Major League Baseball, the NBA, NHL and NFL in starting its own network will be part of the discussion.

Personally, I like the idea. I watch the NFL Network all of the time during the season & would love to see a NASCAR Network start up. I had always thought that was what Speed TV was going to become.

What do you think?

foyt

Oct 23, 2008
South of Terre Haute
There are certain NFL games that I can't watch because I don't pay extra for the NFL network. If suddenly, I had to pay extra for the NA$CAR network, I probably wouldn't watch any more races. As long as MRN is free on the radio!

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
There are certain NFL games that I can't watch because I don't pay extra for the NFL network. If suddenly, I had to pay extra for the NA$CAR network, I probably wouldn't watch any more races. As long as MRN is free on the radio!

I was talking about the main channel for the NFL network. I'm not talking about the NFL season pass that includes all of the games. I can't speak for other television services but the NFL Network is a free channel on the DirecTV package. I can certainly see them spin channels off of it similar to the Hot Pass channels to become the 'pay part' of the NASCAR network.

SubmarineMike

Oct 14, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
Foyt here is my question to you.. would you not pay extra for a NASCAR network because it is a budget concer(i.e. you just can't afford to put more money into T.V) or are you a person that believes that it should all be free and NASCAR shouldn't make all the money it can from it's product? Not judging(YET) just curious

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
More than likely IMO a bad idea to start unless it is available on all platforms of satellite and cable TV systems not just one eclusively like the MLB Channel is currently. Also if these pro league sports want to make more money than what they get now how about allowing the PPV packages ( NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings, etc etc) available to all systems not just one or two providers.

PPistone

Dec 24, 2008
I for one think it's a great idea and long overdue. In my opinion I don't think SPEED covers NASCAR as deeply as it should and a stand alone channel - if patterned after the MLB Network which has been sensational since it got on the air - would be a hit even if fans did have to pay for it as part of their digital service like I do for MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL Networks, even the Big Ten Network.

We'll talk about it when Nate Ryan joins me filling in for The Bagman on Thursday's edition of TMD.

PSP

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
"In my opinion I don't think SPEED covers NASCAR as deeply as it should"

Your kidding me right?

"NASCAR shouldn't make all the money it can from it's product?"

Nascar does alright for itself. So in my opinion it should still air on free tv like NFL games, NHL games, MLB games still do.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I'd like to see something similar to the 'NFL Sunday Ticket' on DirecTV.

Have one, main NASCAR channel available to everyone.

Have several channels devoted during the Cup race to individual teams.

Have interactive stats during your viewing of the race similar to what DirecTV had on HotPass, only more in depth.

Continue broadcasting the drivers press conference from inside the media center after the race.

Have one camera entirely devoted to Kyle Busch's antics after the race. OK, maybe not that one, but you get my drift.

SubmarineMike

Oct 14, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
How much oney they make is truly none of our business Dexter.. I see your on the side of "NASCAR makes too much money" or at least that is how your post came across. NASCAR has stock holders and they owe it to them to make money. yes I know it's owned almost exclusively by the France family. Regardlss they have every right o do that. I'm not saying NASCAR would tale away the broadcast on FOX,TNT,ESPTN or whoever buys the rights next. I think more to enhance the current coverage. Juts like the NFL,NHL,NBA or MLB channels. NASCAR 24/7 with their own shows, post race press conferences live, classic races. Maybe talk to Steve Sabol of NFL Films and start producing Top 10 shows using old footage and opinions of NFL experts. For example they just did "Top 10 Clutch QB's" AWESOME show with great debate amongst NFL experts.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
"NASCAR has stock holders and they owe it to them to make money."

Im pretty sure theyre 100% private while ISC is public. I could be wrong. I dont mean to say they make too much money, but they make enough millions that anything at that comes at the fans expense will get scrutinized.

But what your suggesting would be just fine. Youll still have your basic coverage of all the races like they do now, but if you want all the fluff coverage then tune into the Nascar Network which is available for a fee.

I wouldnt purchase that but only because there are so many outlets on the internet to watch that stuff for free, and my Nascar race collection rivals anybody out there so past races dont really interest me. But thats just my side.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Yeah man, all fluff pieces Nascar Images could make. There are plenty of shows that could be made that would be awesome.

Like NASCAR smarts? :rolleyes: Just kidding... ;)
Seriously though, I'm looking forward to this if it does happen. If done correctly it'd be great. I just hope it doesn't get used as a platform to shove more merch down our throats.

BobBski

Nov 30, 2008
Buckeye Lake, Ohio
I'd like to see something similar to the 'NFL Sunday Ticket' on DirecTV.

Have one, main NASCAR channel available to everyone.

Have several channels devoted during the Cup race to individual teams.

Have interactive stats during your viewing of the race similar to what DirecTV had on HotPass, only more in depth.

Continue broadcasting the drivers press conference from inside the media center after the race.

Have one camera entirely devoted to Kyle Busch's antics after the race. OK, maybe not that one, but you get my drift.

Now, that i'd go for. Before the "in car" stuff went to Direct TV, Time Warner had 10 in car video/audio channel per race...what cars were covered was voted on via cable on internet...cost was $99 per year...all races included. Race weekends I had 11 channels...loved it for 3 years til it was passed to DirectTV. It happened about the same time XM lost NASCAR to Sirius...after replacing my family XM equipment with Sirius equipment to stay with the NASCAR channel...I just couldn't see paying to change to DirectTV as well. I spend enough money each month/year to follow the sport...even subscribe to Nascar.com's Raceview each year since it's been out and usually attend at least 2 races each year. I'd have to see what they offer....but I'd look hard at it. I'll pay for extras on tv, but, not the basic race.

Bob !!!! Who the heck you think you're foolin...if it was the only way to see the race you know darned well you'd pay it...maybe not happily...but, you'd pay it. BTW folks, I talk to myself quite frequently, don't mind me.:twitch: