NASCAR adopts double-file restarts

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
So to get a lap back, all you have to do is stay on track when the leaders pit and end up behind the pace car? So essentially pitting under green is much less of a risk than before if I understand this correctly.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
The free pass rule of the first car lapped makes sense, but I dont get how you get waved by the pace car. So pretty much under every caution you just stay out and youll get a lap back? There must be some sort of rule where if that happens you are not allowed to pit, so its either risk getting caught out on old tires or low feul, or pit and wait.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
It will be interesting... Hopefully more exciting.. I am glad to hear what they are going to do with the lap down cars too, the only thing I didn't like about this was the fact that if any of the good guys got caught a lap down they'd be screwed for getting it back if they weren't the lucky dog, so I am glad to see they set new rules on that too. Will be interesting indeed to see how it plays out.

djb7272

Jan 3, 2009
Your not just waved around if you stay out and the leaders pit you will be waved around to the back of the pack instead of having ten guys at the tail end of the lead lap and trying to find the leader in 11th spot on the restart the catch is that if yop decide to stay out you can not pit under that caution so you have to gamble on not running out of fuel or tires to get your lap back. That is how I understood it.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
Your not just waved around if you stay out and the leaders pit you will be waved around to the back of the pack instead of having ten guys at the tail end of the lead lap and trying to find the leader in 11th spot on the restart the catch is that if yop decide to stay out you can not pit under that caution so you have to gamble on not running out of fuel or tires to get your lap back. That is how I understood it.

I am pretty sure that's how everyone understands it.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I got to say, Bagman, after listening to TMD you got to get your facts straight on this double file restart thing. The wave around rule is not only for the guys who get pinned a lap down during green flag pit stops. Is there a set time during a race that says, "if you pit here and the caution comes out you are pinned a lap down during green flag pit stops and therefore are eligible to get waved around" ....

No. The rule is, If all the leaders pit, and you as a lap down car at any time during the race decide to stay out are behind the pace car, but in front of the leader, you are waved around the pace car. The disadvantage as I see it is you forego your pit stop.

What im interested in seeing happen is, what happens when a leader stays out until one to go. Im also interested to see what happens when 4 or 5 cars stay out during a caution and you have lapped cars mixed in.

Oh and ill add, now while this is a great move, and it will make the restarts very exciting....it still doesnt solve how these cars cannot run close together, they cant run in packs, how the leader cannot be passed 95% of the time, and the feild is still going to separate by huge gaps like they do now. So lets not hail this as the best thing for racing.

Last edited:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
So lets not hail this as the best thing for racing.

I agree...but it's a start. It will be interesting to see how the teams will "work" this new method. I bet they are racking their brains out trying to think of every situation they may find themselves in and what they will do to get the advantage.

I do have a concern about this happening in the middle of the season instead of waiting until the start of next season. This could blow the championship for some team.....or not. Time will tell.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
In 1991 Nascar changed the pit road rules a few times until they eventually settled on the current format. If your a good team, I dont see how this would effect the outcome that much.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I didn't have a chance to watch the race. What did you all think of the new restart rule? Did it promote better racing? :confused:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
It is too hard to really know with it being Pocano.... Have to wait for a shorter track to really know for sure. JMHO

I agree. Come on Richmond! :clap:

BobBski

Nov 30, 2008
Buckeye Lake, Ohio
I enjoyed Carl Edward's comment...something to the effect...he thinks the leader ought to start up front all by himself...then have the rest of the cars in double file restart:p