My opinion on the demise of satellite radio. SiriusXm needs to wake up!

njronbo

Jan 22, 2009
Been off the satellite radio boards for a while. Nice to be here. Hope to see
some old friends from SiriusBackstage which I was shocked to have found gone.

Listen, I posted this article earlier today. I think it speaks volumes about
the state of satellite radio and how badly Sirius' programming model is.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/satellite

I have a friend at a major national paper that I am hoping will pick up on
the article. Satellite radio needs to rethink itself.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Been off the satellite radio boards for a while. Nice to be here. Hope to see
some old friends from SiriusBackstage which I was shocked to have found gone.

Listen, I posted this article earlier today. I think it speaks volumes about
the state of satellite radio and how badly Sirius' programming model is.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/satellite

I have a friend at a major national paper that I am hoping will pick up on
the article. Satellite radio needs to rethink itself.

That was a well written article. I don't agree with all of it,but its nice to read someone elses opinion. Thats why I love this board. There are a lot of great people here. By the way welcome to the board.

As for O&A. All I can say to them is welcome to the world of Bubba The love sponge. The same thing was happening to him too. I'm not a fan of O&A but I agree they should be left alone.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
njronbo,

A great article. I always liked that the two satellite services had different formats concerning music. I always perferred the XM concept but respected SIRIUS and their customers because that is the type music they preferred. Also, some people prefered O & A over Howard and vise versa. ;)

The sense of rivalry between the two was also fun on the different forums. :jj:

I just wish SIRIUS/XM could have some how split the music format of each service across the board as I know that would have been difficult though. I don't think they did any research or surveys on how popular certain XM programs were. (Cross/X Country for example)

That is a shame about the Opie and Anthony studio issue as they like to connect to the fans. That did talk briefly about the price hike on (I think) Monday during their LIVE show.

All and all, I still enjoy the service even with the probable price hike and will continue to subscribe.

Thanks,

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
NJ

I think you should submit that article to orbit cast because this is a great commentary on Satellite Radio.

I also wish that with this merger they would of had the Sirius platform have hits and the XM play deep versions of it to keep things seperate 50 / 50.

In short I will enjoy the service unless something really stupid happens.

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You certainly can get CD quality music with an ipod and you'll never get it with XM or Sirius as long as they are limited on bandwidth like they are now.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
You certainly can get CD quality music with an ipod

No you can't. But then again people have been listening to i-pods for long enough they have forgotten what CD quality is (or maybe their ears can't tell the difference). So what you should aim for is something sounding like i-pod quality -- although personally I think Sirius XM sounds fine as it is.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Screw the naysayers Satellite Radio WILL weather the storm. As a matter of fact it HAS to just for the simple fact that it provides NATIONAL coverage. Just my $0.2 besides, how else can the entire populous of the USA be informed at the same time when the Zombie attacks start?

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
No you can't. But then again people have been listening to i-pods for long enough they have forgotten what CD quality is (or maybe their ears can't tell the difference). So what you should aim for is something sounding like i-pod quality -- although personally I think Sirius XM sounds fine as it is.

Apple Lossless on a 160GB iPod Classic is CD quality, with enough space for a considerable library of songs. Now whether the playback circuitry is up to the task is a moot point; the quality of the content is exactly that of a CD.

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
Will SIRIUS XM close up shop, go out of business, turn out the lights? Depends on what your definition of those terms are. Will they a year from now be the same SIRIUS XM we know and love today? I doubt it. They aren't the same SIRIUS or XM we knew and loved just a YEAR ago...just over 2 MONTHS ago. But there's too much invested in them to just close things down. I see a few scenerios:

1) They refinance/pay debt off and survive without declaring bankruptcy.

2) They are forced into chapter 11, but in the long run, it's for the better: they stay intact.

3) They are bought by someone who completely changes their structure: maybe music with commercials + premium content for $$$. Who knows.

But I don't see them turning the lights out and shutting down. Far too much $$$ involved, with an actual, valuable base of subscribers.

JayDizz

Jan 3, 2009
In short I will enjoy the service unless something really stupid happens.

That's where I am.

I think that the artice does a good job of articulating the problems with SiriusXM and while I plan on remaining a subscriber (and paying for SIR), I would like to see a few things tweaked.

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
That's where I am.

I think that the artice does a good job of articulating the problems with SiriusXM and while I plan on remaining a subscriber (and paying for SIR), I would like to see a few things tweaked.

I am in the same boat as well , I think they need to let us Sirius folk know if we are getting MLB games so I dont have to wait and see about getting a Mirge in the Spring , and also have a better internet service with exclusive channels that were dumped e.g. disorder.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
That is an okay article, considering the author has been anti-Sirius since way back when they allowed him to do the Sirius DJ for a day on the '70s channel subscriber take over and something got screwed up with the tape. It eventually did play and was actually pretty good. However he has had hard feelings towards Sirius ever since and you can go to the XM forums and read all his anti Sirius post.

So, while I think the article is good I take much of his comments with a grain of salt knowing his past with Sirius.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Meh, more of the same. It's one of a dozen doomsday article that offers it's two cents. Everyone wants things to change at the snap of a finger. I'm in for the long haul. It's too easy to look at the glass as half empty. If things are so bad where are all the light shedding solutions?

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
I am one of those people that are trying to avoid looking at the doomsday scenarios , but think that the company is in trouble times ten unless they get their shit together soon.

siriusfan

Nov 5, 2008
Count me among those who enjoys the Deejays on decades channels and other channels as well. I think they help to recapture the flavor of a decade and add to the entertainment value. I think many others share that view, which is why SiriusXM continues to have them. On other channels, Deejays inform listeners with artist info, history, concert dates etc...; information I appreciate getting. So I hope SiriusXM will ignore Deejay detractors and encourage them to continue to do what they are doing. I think by and large SiriusXM music channels are excellent, far better than anything on terrestrial. I only wish they would cover more genres than they do at present.

Reactions: Aaron

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
I am one of those people that like the DJ's that dont babble on too much off topic , or add good information to the artist. I wish they would adapt that standard on Sirius XM because some Dj's e.g. Madison annoy the hell out of me.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
Good points. The Opie and Anthony plea I could careless about but he makes a good point that Sirius is going overboard trying to hard to make the channels like FM in all the bad ways. I like DJ banter but talking over the songs has never been worse. I think that all their changes should be more positive and nurturing toward the music since it is such a draw (even Howard admitted that most people only listen to FM for music....could it be that many people came over to Sirius because FM had too many commercials and tired playlists?). They have obviously been fucking with the talk talent quite a bit lately with new contracts and frankly if you leave the big dog that saved Sirius alone (Howard), that won't be such an issue. Take care of music first. If you are going to charge a premium for internet radio, make it have more channels, features (buy MP3s of songs including the rarities not found on Itunes through SiriusXM?). Just ideas.