My new friend

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I'm so proud today to have a new friend because of SIRIUS. We got an order today from Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada. Probably our 12th or 13th order from that province.

For reference check out the Wikipedia page. Nunavut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where the order is shipping would be a 45 hour drive north of Chicago or about 39 or 40 hours north of Minneapolis. But you can only drive so far before the roads just don't exist. From then you would have to fly in or take a dogsled or snowmobile into the town of 1800.

I decided to call the woman who ordered. She was happy to take a call from essentially a total stranger in another country and another world. We had a great talk and something really refreshing about connecting with someone from such a different place. There are a number of people in the town with SIRIUS radio. Keep in mind XM satellites would not reach that far north. A lot of the miners and workers have Sirius up there.

The town has no running water, it gets water delivered to people by a truck. It just recently got cell service a year ago. There are no trees that far north since it is simply too cold for them to grow. Many in the town don't speak English since most of the town is of Inuit decent. They live a simple life from what I can tell and yet Sirius radio is part of some of their lives now. They do have some internet as well. This woman and I are now Facebook friends. I will be sending her a care package in addition to her order. And I look forward to hearing the stories of those in the town with Sirius and how it affects their life. Wouldn't be surprised to hear a Howard 100 news story about a Stern fan or two up there either.

Thankfully Sirius radio has a big impact in some people's lives. For her, she can listen to some good dance and electronic music at home or at work.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Holy cow that's a whole lot of up north! I hope we see them on the DRC soon.

I'm so proud today to have a new friend because of SIRIUS. We got an order today from Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada. Probably our 12th or 13th order from that province.

. . . . . . .

Thankfully Sirius radio has a big impact in some people's lives. For her, she can listen to some good dance and electronic music at home or at work.

Maybe she can help us get Boombox back. . . . . ;)

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Great story Taylor! It's cool to see that even in such a desolate (and interesting) place, that people are listening to Sirius.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Sounds like where I'm living... Only way to reach this place is by plane or boat :s

Damn Aleutian Chain...

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Awesome story - it's always interesting to see just how technology creeps around and finds its way into the places that you might least expect to find it. Gives me hope that someday I can move to a remote location and still get internet service :D

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
I could see BMF becoming a "head of state" up there in the near future.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I was in Prince Rupert, Canada last year and it seemed every third car had a sirius or xm antenna on it. The locals said it was a godsend not being stuck with CBC or whatever local stations were broadcasting.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
What an insanse story.

I love hearing about weird towns in weird places.

I followed the wiki link that Taylor attached and that lead me to another link for ALERT, Canada, the northernmost place where people permanently reside.

24 hour daylight from March through September and 24 hour darkness from October through Feb. God, that has to have such a horrible affect on people.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I find it interesting that the wiki entry showed the population actually growing in the cities up there, some by nearly 20%.

If you want to disappear, I would assume these are the types of places you go to.

Of course, they "probably don't take kindly to strangers 'round these parts."

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I was in Prince Rupert, Canada last year and it seemed every third car had a sirius or xm antenna on it. The locals said it was a godsend not being stuck with CBC or whatever local stations were broadcasting.

I know what a Prince Albert is. . . . do I want to know what a Prince Rupert is? ? ? ?