My G1 went dark! I needs some help..

mlitt55

Jan 22, 2009
A newbie to the forums...

Bought my G1, via Woot, around Christmas.. LOVE it! and been working great.

but... haven't used it for about 3 days, now blank. Charged it several hours, still blank. Removed batt for 10 min, still dark. Tried hard reboot (+ and switch in hold) ...still black... nothing.

Any suggestions????

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Just shoot it! LOL

Since there is no reset button the G1, I am not sure what to do if they won't power on. If you charged it for several hours that should be enough for it to power on. Make sure that your charger it plugged into the device firmly.

mlitt55

Jan 22, 2009
I've been sooooo loving this thing.. haven't had many issues.. till now.

she's been a charge'n for quite a few hours... I'll try the Slacker help later tonight... The Slacker website is blocked here at work.

...might cry.. :(

When it comes to updating... the WiFi is the way... Using the webpage is a pain. Just use the wallwart, WiFi in... and we "were" going.. oh well.

Thanks guys! If anyone else has an idea, please reply!

sphere79

Dec 1, 2008
Just shoot it! LOL Since there is no reset button the G1, I am not sure what to do if they won't power on.
Pressing the power button down and holding it (until it reboots) is the equivalent of a reset on the G1.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Pressing the power button down and holding it (until it reboots) is the equivalent of a reset on the G1.

Ahh, yes for that reminder, I forgot about that!

But I was actually speaking about the reset button, which the G1 to my knowledge does not have.

When these things go dark or light they are non responsive so holding down buttons is an exercise in futility.

sphere79

Dec 1, 2008
When these things go dark or light they are non responsive so holding down buttons is an exercise in futility.
Every now and then my G1 will freeze on a song. The screen is on, there's no audio and no buttons respond when pressed. Either holding down the power button or pulling the battery would work in that case. I know that's not the same as bricking, but it's the "reset" that's worked for me in the past. And yea there is no physical reset that I know of on the G1 so you're not left with many options.

mlitt55

Jan 22, 2009
Update

... Thanks everyone for responding!

After charging all night, tried it again and its GOT LIFE!! I don't know why it took all night v.s. all afternoon... who knows...

Anyway, corrupted and I re-flashed, and all is well now! I can listen again!

PS... re-downloading, flashing, etc..... My $.02 ....
everything is a lot easier via the WiFi than the USB connection. I can hardly ever make it work via USB. I can, but it's frustrating. I had to re-address my home router's address to allow the Slacker to communicate, but that was easier than trying to make this thing work via USB.

mlitt55

Jan 22, 2009
New question... just for the future....

I haven't taken the Slacker literature off of the battery yet, but I'm a going to.
I tried searching on what Slacker has on the outside, but no applicable hits.

Q: Does anyone know what make/model the battery is, in this thing (G1) ?

Reason: For next time, I'm going to charge the spare, then insert if when/if needed.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Q: Does anyone know what make/model the battery is, in this thing (G1) ?

Reason: For next time, I'm going to charge the spare, then insert if when/if needed.

Here is the big thing on the G1, there are no replacement batteries available. Slacker only response in regards to this is that the battery should last 2.5 to 3 years and basically by then you've got your money out of the device.

I am sure that battery is replaceable if you want to open the device and get numbers off it, but of course you'd be doing that on your own.

sphere79

Dec 1, 2008
There was post on the official Slacker forums where someone posted "For future reference my Slacker portable has a battery that reads Sony model XXX" or something to that effect. It does say Sony on it but I'm not sure if it refers to the cell or the cell with the plastic end pieces that make it fit this specific device. It's possible given the start-up nature of where Slacker was financially that they've used an off the shelf product to keep costs down.

And while there may not be a battery available for the G1, the G2 doesn't have a consumer removable battery at all so you're kind of SOL. I know they did it for "size" and all but it's still a step backward. I wonder if lil ol' Slacker will ever offer a battery replacement service for the G2?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
And while there may not be a battery available for the G1, the G2 doesn't have a consumer removable battery at all so you're kind of SOL. I know they did it for "size" and all but it's still a step backward. I wonder if lil ol' Slacker will ever offer a battery replacement service for the G2?

Yeah many folks aren't real thrilled about the fact that the G2 has no user replaceable battery. It really doesn't bother me as I'am so use to Apple with their non user replaceable batteries, though as you mention they do have a battery replacement service. I think as the G2 ages they are going to have to come up with a decision about rather to come up with a battery replacement service. I think if they do not do this they are going to leave a very poor long term impression on end users, which will not bode well for future Slacker portable purchases.

The other thing is what are they learning about all this between the G1/G2 for the next version the G3. Maybe they assume most will just upgrade like Apple geeks normally do.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
My G1 is stuck on starting up:wah:

The fact is they need to give the G1 the shut down menu like they did on the G2 as this solves most of these type problems.

Some say just let it sit idle for 6 hours and this will cause it to shut down, then when you restart it, it will then connect just fine.

The belief is that for whatever reason both the G1 and G2 once they try to connect unsuccessfully can't seem to recover from that without doing a total shut down. On the G2 I can just go into the menu G2 Shut Down and this will do the trick, there is no such animal on the G1.

I don't think charging it will solve much of anything as that really isn't the issue.

What gets me about this 6 hour shut down on the G1? Why 6 hours? Why not 2 hours like the G2? But ultimately why not just add the shut down in the menu.

I know they are trying to push people to the G2, but heck, those that have the G1 need a better solution than sitting idle for 6 hours.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
xan: I thought after being in sleep mode for 6 hours it was supposed to turn off completely?
CharlesB: It actually will reboot after 6 hours. This we are currently working to get fixed.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
xan: I thought after being in sleep mode for 6 hours it was supposed to turn off completely?
CharlesB: It actually will reboot after 6 hours. This we are currently working to get fixed.

A reboot is just a shut down and restart. But the point is that this does solve many of the issues and more so the signing on issue when the device gets stuck because it thinks it is already logged in so just hangs at signing in. The G2 does the same thing, except you can shut it down and restart it when you want too.

The battery issue with the G1 is that instead of shutting down and staying off, it reboots. That is a whole other issue!

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
I have tried letting it die, then charging it with the computer. I have tried the hard reset, the R:bigahh:ecovery. Nothing has worked.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Time to contact support A-G-A-I-N!

That is why I sold my G1, just not enough sugar for a dime!