My dream idea for 100/101.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Artie keeps falling asleep during the show. They'd all probably like to be able to go out at night.

Here's my idea:

Basically the major changes are as follows: Howard goes from noon until 6 PM, instead of 6 AM until noon. The Howard repeats on Howard 100 stay. Bubba is LIVE on Sirius, and delayed, censored, and edited on FM radio at 3 PM ET. Ferrall gets to go past midnight with a start time "to be announced" depending on the presence of a 3 PM ET West Coast Feed of Howard.

Howard 100:
Live show, best of, whatever they have for that day starts at noon ET. Wrap-Up Show ends at 6 PM ET. Repeat all day long. Noon ET is the new 6 AM ET.

Howard says he, and the fans are used to the 6 AM deal, but it may give them all a spark. Also, I don't think the fans would mind too much. Many more people would also have the chance to call in.

Of course, it does mean everyone would have to listen at work. But don't a lot of people do that anyway?

Howard 101:
Bubba live at 6 AM ET. This gives us live Bubba every day of the week. FM radio gets what they deserve. A taped, censored airing of that day's Bubba show. Bleep it up, sanitize it, then air it. If done right, it could be a hell of an advertisement for Sirius. (Like our stuff? Want to try it live and uncensored?) Don't even think it's the same thing O&A did. It's not a simulcast.

Spice's Wrap-Up Show every day from end of Bubba show until noon. EXCLUSIVE to Sirius.

Noon ET until 3 PM ET. Something. I'm not sure. It would be competing directly against the live Howard Stern Show.

3 PM ET until 9 PM ET - West Coast Feed, if they need it.

9 PM ET until whenever - I'd hate having Ferrall start later, but i'm not sure what to do here. This also means no "7 PM ET Variety Hour." Ferrall should also have the ability to go past midnight. If there's a huge game such as the World Series, NBA Finals, whatever, Ferrall shouldn't have to sign off until that game ends.

After Ferrall ends, then re-air Bubba on 101 until 6 AM ET when a new Bubba show would air.

If they need the 7 PM stuff, then axe the West Coast Feed (would they really need a delay at noon PT?) OTOH, axing the 7 PM stuff would free up someone's budget.

From 3 PM ET to 7 PM ET then they'd have to find something. Would Ellis be willing to come over? Maybe a re-package, re-air of that day's Bubba show in a "best of" format?

7 PM is the special stuff (if no west coast feed.)

8 PM until "whenever he signs off" is Ferrall.

Fridays, i'd almost say it stays as-is. I know i'm dreaming, but if Howard moved to noon, maybe he'd be willing to work on a Friday or two. Then again, you'd probably mess up the whole schedule, if they insisted on a West Coast Feed. (I'm almost positive that's part of the reason why there's no live Howard on Fridays now. You put him live, and it messes up the whole schedule. Howard, Tim, someone, doesn't want to put Howard live up against something else on his other channel.)

Last edited:

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
Howard, Tim, someone, doesn't want to put Howard live up against something else on his other channel.)

Why not? It doesn't matter what channel you listen to as long as you're subscribing. The entire Sirius XM audience isn't a Stern audience, you've got to give multiple options.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
Why not? It doesn't matter what channel you listen to as long as you're subscribing. The entire Sirius XM audience isn't a Stern audience, you've got to give multiple options.
Exactly. I've heard that used as the reason (although it's a different channel he'd be on, but bear with me) why they won't put Bubba on live on another channel by some people. But Howard replays all day and it doesn't matter what people are listening to as long as they're listening. Sirius XM is best served getting as many popular morning shows as they can for people that don't like Howard.

And as far as putting pre-taped Bubba on FM that'll never work. Sirius listeners need to realize his main gig is a topical LIVE FM morning show and that's what he gets paid for. Sirius is an afterthought, such as with other pre-taped FM shows on Sirius. The only difference is those hosts didn't previously have an "uncensored" show on the service and a very hardcore fanbase committed to that type of programming. The only ones you can compare it to is O&A and they got a ton of shit for it, and to a lesser degree and with far less outcry was the Young Turks.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

You're totally right. It's the same thing with HBO/Cinemax/Stars/Showtime/Flix/Starz/Encore/etc. Does someone subscribe for the sports documentaries? The original content? The movies? At the end of the day, it doesn't matter WHY, it matters that they DO.

I think they view the Howard universe as a seperate entity, yet part of the Sirius XM universe. If you're a fan of Howard 100/101, they want you listening to live Howard over anything else. They could find an "alternate morning show" for 5 AM ET to 9 AM ET, but they want you to listen to live Howard, so they replay Ferrall in that time.

I can't imagine ANYONE listens to the Ferrall replay from 5 AM ET to 9 AM ET, or for that matter, the Master Tape Theatre replay from 5 AM ET to 9 AM ET Monday mornings.

When I worked from 5 AM to noon, I would listen to Howard 101 from approximately 4:25 AM ET until 5:50 AM ET. On Mondays, I would catch the end of (I think) the previous Tuesday's Bubba replay, usually followed by a little segment of Intern Show in place of commercials. Anywhere between 4:45 AM ET and 5:10 AM ET, MTT would start up, depending on the length of that show. (It had to be over a few minutes before 9 AM ET, when they'd play a segment of Tortured Man, then go into the West Coast Feed.)

They do have multiple options for morning listening. Sirius Stars, Sirius Stars Too, Playboy Radio, The Morning Mash-up on Sirius Hits 1, and probably a lot more talk/entertainment shows as opposed to Howard.

Even on Fridays, when Jay Thomas and Bubba are live, there is nothing up against that on Howard 100.

I suppose people listen to Best of the Week on 100, then switch over to 101 when BOTW ends, but based on what i've seen and heard regarding the preference for live content, most 100/101 fans probably switch over to 101 for the live content.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
And as far as putting pre-taped Bubba on FM that'll never work. Sirius listeners need to realize his main gig is a topical LIVE FM morning show and that's what he gets paid for. Sirius is an afterthought, such as with other pre-taped FM shows on Sirius. The only difference is those hosts didn't previously have an "uncensored" show on the service and a very hardcore fanbase committed to that type of programming. The only ones you can compare it to is O&A and they got a ton of shit for it, and to a lesser degree and with far less outcry was the Young Turks.

As of now, yes, his main gig is a live FM show, but does it have to be?

Maybe the difference is that a lot of people subscribe for Bubba, but how many people subscribe to Sirius for the other talk shows which are delayed on Sirius and live on other mediums? Oprah...we all know the case there. Who else is "live there" and "delayed here" and how many subscribers do they bring in? The Young Turks have a show live on FM radio, and also make their shows available via MP3.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I really have no complaints with Howard 100/101, but nonetheless (as Riley says), it is interesting to read what some of you think.

I don't listen to 101 at all, so they can do whatever they want with the programming there and I wouldn't even notice. All I listen to on Howard's channels are the show itself and TWUS. I get 24 hours of programming a week recorded on my Stiletto (6 hrs/day x 4 days)...it lasts me until Sunday night. I'm almost glad he takes Fridays off. If he didn't, I might not be able to keep up.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
They could put together the perfect schedule, then a couple of haters would complain and they would change it to please the unpleasable...

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
They could put together the perfect schedule, then a couple of haters would complain and they would change it to please the unpleasable...

I do like the schedule as it is, but I would find it interesting if Howard tried a mid-day show out. Unfortunately, that would probably start a domino effect (especially if they wanted that west coast feed.)