My Dad

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Well it been couple months, since I updated this thread. When my dad got out of the rehab and hospice, he was doing much better. Well in the past couple of weeks, he started getting a bit weaker again. So unfortunately my family and I had to check him into a temporary hospice to find out what going on. Apparently he was putting on to much drug patch medicine on his arm, which was making him a bit loopy. Well they cut down on the patches and he started to do a bit better now. But they also did some new test and today the doctor wanted to see the family to give us an new health update. His cancer has spread even more throughout his body, so the doctor will keep giving him certain drugs. But here the biggest part of the news was, they gave him about 3 months left to live. That did hit my family hard, specially my mom. But that is the latest news about my dad.

Enjoy those 3 months. I hope they are pain free or as pain free as possible. I will keep him and you in my prayers.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Thanks again everybody! I recall while back ago, the doctor gave him six months to live, but that was couple of years ago. Now it 3 months, I wonder if they will be true of not? But anyway, I will still cherish every moment what he still has left.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Thanks again everybody! I recall while back ago, the doctor gave him six months to live, but that was couple of years ago. Now it 3 months, I wonder if they will be true of not? But anyway, I will still cherish every moment what he still has left.

Well, hopefully this one was equally accurate and you get another year at least.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
i know this shit i hard but we are all invested in it now. any updates u could give that u feel comfortable with would be cool. if not no worries man. its a super personal process.

everyone here at drc is completely behind u man.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Not much an new updates, beside my dad legs are swollen. Because they are collecting fluids somehow, he does keep his leg elevated and it still not enough. But thanks again everybody!

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Not much an new updates, beside my dad legs are swollen. Because they are collecting fluids somehow, he does keep his leg elevated and it still not enough. But thanks again everybody!

not to make it about me but i have experience with the swollen leg thing. my mom at the end was a mess. she was diabetic and so the fluids just ran to her legs. also the kidney failure/dialysis didnt help.

but from the time all that started she was able to hang on for like 2.5 years and 2 of those years were happy and productive.

i know ur pops is havin issues buts at least hes still there for all ur family.

god forbid anyone in my or anyones fam gets Alzheimers or dementia. that shit can go on for years and is just torture to the fam involved.

once again phill sr. is in my thoughts.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
not to make it about me but i have experience with the swollen leg thing. my mom at the end was a mess. she was diabetic and so the fluids just ran to her legs. also the kidney failure/dialysis didnt help.

but from the time all that started she was able to hang on for like 2.5 years and 2 of those years were happy and productive.

i know ur pops is havin issues buts at least hes still there for all ur family.

god forbid anyone in my or anyones fam gets Alzheimers or dementia. that shit can go on for years and is just torture to the fam involved.

once again phill sr. is in my thoughts.

My pops had Alzheimers for a couple of years before they also diagnosed him with Lou Gehrigs disease. It was actually a lucky break for him. The Alzheimers didn't get really bad. He would mostly repeat old stories from his military days and whatnot. It was good to hear some of the old history again. Then the ALS kicked in and started to weaken his body. The one-two punch of having both of them together ended up taking him pretty quickly. He didn't have to suffer through the worst of either disease. Either one of them get very ugly on their own. Together it was sort of a blessing. We were all there with him in Hospice when he died. I'm glad I was able to be there looking him in the eye when he took his last breath.

It sounds like it's going to be soon Wolf. Spend as much time with your dad as you can. You'll be glad you did.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Thx again guys, that what I'm doing part if the day. Spending time with my dad at the hospice.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
lets not forget how awesome hospice is. i know it sucks and is a huge downer but w/o it every family would have to struggle way more than they already do in these situations.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I know people who work in Hospice. They're consummate professionals who know how to do their jobs with competency and compassion. I'd say your dad is in good hands.

Sending some good karma your way.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Here a new update about my dad. He been at home being taken care from hospice home care and we have notice more and more everyday he been declining. Plus on top of that, the dementia has really kicked in now, along fighting some bronchitis. So for the past couple of days he been at a hospice unit again and the doctor estimates he could be around days to weeks now? But they don't have a true answer, so my family finally got funeral plans created and we are just waiting for this nightmare to end!

sbv71

Oct 12, 2008
Hang in there. Keep staying strong. Sending more prayers your way...

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I hope he's as comfortable as he can be Wolf.
This is a strange period in the process for you and your family. You're starting to shift from wanting him to get better, or to still be there for you, and starting to hope that he doesn't suffer much longer. It's hard to picture now, but you will feel relief after he passes. For him mostly, but it's ok to feel it for yourself too.

That's heavy, so I'll close with a funny study from my dad's last week or so.

The Alzheimer's was doing it's Alzheimer's thing, and there were large parts of his day where we could tell he either didn't know who we were or he couldn't really communicate it. (That's not the funny part, it's coming up)
His wife, best lifelong friend & wife, And my brothers and I were there at his bedside at hospice. We were busting each other's chops and laughing about something or another. My dad was laughing but he didn't really seem to be connecting, just laughing because everyone else was. So I looked at him and said "what are you laughing at? I got all the good looks...." then we could see the light switch on for him, and we knew he knew exactly who everyone was, and he was in on the joke. He looked me square in the eye and said "Awwww, fuck you....." With a big silly grin. Best laugh ever. He had never said that to me before, and it's hysterical that it's one of the last things he said to me. Totally busting my chops. We still get a laugh out of it.

Hang in there man.