Musical challenge #9

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
This week's challenge is a bit of a sequel to Week's 7 challenge, except this week we are looking for songs (or titles) by bands or artists that mention other bands or artists.

"Creeque Alley" - Mamas and the Papas - McGuinn and McGuire, Sebastian...
"I Dig Rock and Roll Music" - Peter, Paul, and Mary - And when the Beatles tell you...
"When Smokey Sings" - ABC - Smokey Robinson
"Nightshift" - Commodores - Marvin (Gaye), Jackie (Wilson)
"Free Fallin'" - Tom Petty - crazy about Elvis

Thanks Steel Cranium and Wayne Edwards for the suggestion!

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
The Seeker - The Who: "I asked Bobby Dylan, I asked the Beatles, I asked Timothy Leary but he couldn't help me either".

Randy Scouse Git - The Monkees: "The four kings of EMI are sitting stately on the floor"....a reference to The Beatles.

Last edited:

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I Wish I Could Meet Elvis - Alex Chilton

Waldo P. Emerson Jones - The Archies: "Oh, he says he knows the Beatles, yes and Gene and Jimmy Page, oh he's Waldo P. Emerson Jones".

The Intro And The Outro - Bonzo Dog Do-Dah Band: "Over there, Eric Clapton on Ukulele...Hi Eric".

Where The Hell Is Bill? - Camper Van Beethoven: "Maybe he went to see the Circle Jerks?"

Surrender - Cheap Trick: "Got my KISS records out".

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
"Rock Show" - McCartney and Wings - What's That Man Movin' Cross The Stage? It Looks A Lot Like The One Used By Jimmy Page

TimTimSalabim

Oct 17, 2008
On and On - Stephen Bishop "puts on Sinatra and starts to cry"

Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd "I hope Neil Young will remember, Southern Man don't need him around"

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
The Boys of Summer: "I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac" (Don Henley) or "I saw a BLACK FLAG sticker on a Cadillac" (Ataris).

Hands Open, Snow Patrol: "Put SUFJAN STEVENS on and we'll play your favorite song".

rickster53

Oct 16, 2008
Syracuse,NY
"Jackie Wilson Said" - Van Morrison

and a trio by John Eddie off the CD "Who The Hell Is John Eddie"......

"Low Life" - "the landlord called, the rent is due but I spent it all on a KISS tattoo"

"Forty" - well I guess I'm f*ckin 40, that's what my mama said, but Bruce Springsteen's f*ckin 55 and the Stones are almost dead"

"Play Some Skynyrd" - "play some Skynyrd, play some Petty, play some Seger, play some Dead, who the hell is John Eddie? that's what the redneck said, if you wanna stick around... play some Skynyrd"

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
Rock and Roll Heaven by the Righteous Brothers.

"Janis took a piece of our heart" (Janis Joplin)
"Otis brought us all to the dock of the bay" (Otis Redding)
"Sing a song to light my fire remember Jim that way" (Jim Morrison"

TimTimSalabim

Oct 17, 2008
Luchenbach Texas - Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings - references to Willie/Waylon as well as Hank Williams and I believe a few others (so it's actually good for both challenges)

If It Makes You Happy - Sheryl Crow ("Listen to Coltrane..")

Wayne Edwards

Oct 13, 2008
Buddy Holly-Weezer
Daft Punk Is Playing At My House-LCD Sound System
Bob Dylan Wrote Propaganda Songs-The Minutemen
Let’s Dance To Joy Division-The Wombats
Sit On My Face Stevie Nicks-The Rotters
Elvis Is Everywhere-Mojo Nixon
R.A.M.O.N.E.S.-Motorhead
Me and Eddie Vedder-The Rugburns
Listening To The Higsons-Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians
James Brown Is Dead-L.A. Style
Michael Jackson- Fat Boy Slim

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
"Plege Allegiance To The Hag" Eric Church - Merle Haggard
"Rockin' The Suberbs" Ben Folds - Quiet Riot, Jon Bon Jovi, Michael Jackson,
"Gold Digger" Kanye West - Usher
"Tim McGraw" Taylor Swift - Tim McGraw
"AM Radio" Everclear - Led Zepplin
"Grace Kelly" Mika - Freddie Mercury
"You Get What You Give" New Radicals - Beck, Hanson, Courtney Love, Marylin Manson

Wayne Edwards

Oct 13, 2008
All The Young Dudes-Mott The Hoople-My brother's back at home with his Beatles and his Stones

Ready Steady Go-Generation X-I was in love with The Beatles, I was in love with The Stones

Surrender-Cheap Trick-Got my Kiss records out

White Punks On Hope-Crass-They said that we were trash, well the name is Crass not Clash

Hair-The Cowsills-It's not for lack of bread, like The Grateful Dead, darling

You Were Right-Badly Drawn Boy-I remember doing nothing on the night Sinatra died and the night Jeff Buckley died and the night Kurt Cobain died and the night John Lennon died

Looking Out My Back Door- Creedence Clearwater Revival-A dinosaur Victola, listening to Buck Owens

Genius Of Love-The Tom Tom Club- Wailin' and shakin' to Bob Marley
Reggae's expanding with Sly and Robbie
...and... James Brown? James Brown!

White Man In Hammersmit Palais-The Clash-But it was Four Tops all night

Sucks-KMFDM-We don't like Michael Jackson, we hate Depeche Mode, we don't care for Madonna or Kylie Minogue

Fight The Power-Public Enemy-Elvis was a hero to most but he never meant shit to me you see

Fire Water Burn-The Bloodhoung Gang-"I'm not black like Barry White, no, I'm white like Frank Black is"

Stereo-Pavement-"What about the voice of Geddy Lee? How did it get so high?

Ball Of Confusion-The Temptations-Unemployment rising fast, The Beatles new record's a gas!