Mr. Lennon

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I remember waking up before school hearing about the shooting on the radio.

On the night of 8 December 1980 Mark David Chapman shot Lennon in the back four times (the fifth shot missed) in the entrance hallway of the Dakota. Lennon had autographed a copy of Double Fantasy for Chapman earlier that same night.

Lennon was pronounced dead on arrival in the Emergency Room at the Roosevelt Hospital at 11:15 p.m. On the following day, 9 December 1980, Ono issued a statement: "There is no funeral for John. John loved and prayed for the human race. Please pray the same for him. Love, Yoko and Sean." Chapman pleaded guilty to second degree murder and was sentenced to 20 years to life. He is still in prison, having been denied parole five times.

Two days after his death, Lennon's body was cremated at Ferncliff Cemetery in Hartsdale, New York. The whereabouts of Lennon's ashes are not definitively known.

Sirterp

Oct 17, 2008
Heard something really strange yesterday. Was listening to the Kasey Kasem AT 40 on the 80's channel. Of course it was a tape of the original show. He introduced "Starting Over' just like it was any other song. The date of the show was 12/13/80. Did I miss something?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I remember it well.

I had just been suspended from Jr High that day.
The news report came on the TV. It had brought us all down and probably kept my parents from wringing my neck completely.

The next 3 days, the local FM station played the Beatles A to Z.

So while I was home at least I got to listen to that.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
Heard something really strange yesterday. Was listening to the Kasey Kasem AT 40 on the 80's channel. Of course it was a tape of the original show. He introduced "Starting Over' just like it was any other song. The date of the show was 12/13/80. Did I miss something?

There's two versions of that broadcast.

The original version had Casey doing his original countdown in his normal fashion. However, when news broke regarding Lennon's death, Casey rushed to the studio and did a fitting tribute to John. However, the show had already shipped to stations, so Watermark sent two replacement discs. On the original broadcast, Casey answered a question regarding dead rock artists, but it was omitted in the new broadcast. The replacement disc also had Casey's tribute to John.

Apparently, Sirius XM played the original broadcast prior to Lennon's shooting. Fortunately, a few years ago, I was able to hear Casey's tribute on a terrestrial radio version of classic AT40.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
My mom says she was up making a bottle for me (I was born in late Oct) when she heard about it.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
There's two versions of that broadcast.

The original version had Casey doing his original countdown in his normal fashion. However, when news broke regarding Lennon's death, Casey rushed to the studio and did a fitting tribute to John. However, the show had already shipped to stations, so Watermark sent two replacement discs. On the original broadcast, Casey answered a question regarding dead rock artists, but it was omitted in the new broadcast. The replacement disc also had Casey's tribute to John.

Apparently, Sirius XM played the original broadcast prior to Lennon's shooting. Fortunately, a few years ago, I was able to hear Casey's tribute on a terrestrial radio version of classic AT40.

Thanks for that. It would be nice if they played the Casey tribute.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I had fallen asleep while watching Monday Night Football. All my friends called me to tell me the news. I stayed up all night watching Nightline and other television(pre cable) and listening to the radio(almost every station was either talking about it or playing his music) to get any information on what had happened.

That night the murderers name became burned into my brain forever, whether I wanted it there or not. For me, music lost its most beautiful and honest voice. It's hard to believe it's been nearly thirty years since that night. Unreal.