More Lithium Hatred

So I just heard a Wayne’s World Bohemian Rhapsody thing on Lithium. What is this?

A) Queen is not Grunge or even 90’s Alternative.

B) Wayne and Garth were into rock bands like Van Halen, Alice Cooper, and Ozzy. None of these are 90’s Alternative groups. Shouldnt this promo be on Boneyard, Hair Nation or even Classic Vinyl?

Who’s programming this channel? :scratch:

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Now that is strange.

I thought they changed it to "90's alternative and those same bands from the 90's that have current songs today."

Queen? Huh? I agree with the headscratch.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
Awful programming. I honestly assume that the reason they playing not only BR from Queen and Marley is possibly because they have some programmers that did work on a BAD alt rock station from somewhere in the boonies! They probably did play those kinds of songs on that specific station!

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
This is insane. I'm canceling my sub once Howard retires.

So will a lot of people, which is going to be trouble. There are people that have no passion for anything else on Sirius, I'm sure of it. Kind of sad, really.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
So will a lot of people, which is going to be trouble. There are people that have no passion for anything else on Sirius, I'm sure of it. Kind of sad, really.
I think the days of having a "dominant media" for audio entertainment are over. Right now, we have iPods, Satellite Radio, HD Radio, FM radio, other MP3 players, Slacker, internet radio (which is a LONG way from being in cars, but still available), physical media such as CDs and records (which people actually do still listen to), and probably many more ways.

There's just too much competition for a single media to rise above the rest in a way that FM did.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I don't know who's programming the 90s on 9 but you can clearly make out the Beck song - I think I'm in Love - during a 90s Promo...:shock: (song came out two years ago)

Shit happens. It seems like people are just looking for a reason why not to like the channel...:(

pdogg81

Nov 20, 2008
You don't have to look for a reason when your favorite rock channel on your favorite listening medium starts playing the Cranberries and Seal. I'm cancelling 2 of my 3 subscriptions, and keeping one for Stern on the way to/from work. If I want to hear replays at home, I'll use the Yahoo Sirius widget.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
You don't have to look for a reason when your favorite rock channel on your favorite listening medium starts playing the Cranberries and Seal. I'm cancelling 2 of my 3 subscriptions, and keeping one for Stern on the way to/from work. If I want to hear replays at home, I'll use the Yahoo Sirius widget.

Heh, I actually like "Dreams" and "Zombie."

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I would say that the Cranberries belong on that channel, but Seal?...:scratch:

Was the song "Kiss by a Rose" or "Crazy"?...:shock:

Nov 6, 2008
Pop Pop2K* Hits Of The 2000s Notorious B.I.G. - Hypnotize

This is the song they are currently playing and I have a question. I thought Notorious BIG died back some years before 2000. He was shot and killed just like 2Pac. If he died in the 90's why would his music be on the Pop 2K channel?

Last edited:

pdogg81

Nov 20, 2008
That is a good example actually of what is annoying to me. I actually like that song a lot, but it's a straight up rock song. In the alternative and grunge previous format, that doesn't get played... but now it's occasional grunge, a wide definition of alternative, and any pop rock hits of the 90s.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
That is a good example actually of what is annoying to me. I actually like that song a lot, but it's a straight up rock song. In the alternative and grunge previous format, that doesn't get played... but now it's occasional grunge, a wide definition of alternative, and any pop rock hits of the 90s.

I thought I've been hearing Lenny Kravitz on there for quite a while.

I do agree the definition of "alternative" has changed a bit...I think a lot of it is due to the combination with Lucy.

leviramsey

Nov 24, 2008

Kravitz got plenty of play on the old Lithium, as did the Cranberries...

June 12 airplay, from dogstarradio:

Cranberries - Zombie @ 10:55 pm Eastern
Lenny Kravitz - Rock & Roll Is Dead @ 9:45 pm Eastern
Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way @ 4:11 pm Eastern
Cranberries - Linger @ 2:13 pm Eastern
Lenny Kravitz - Let Love Rule @ 11:04 am Eastern
Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away @ 3:38 am Eastern

(I even think Kravitz was a guest DJ on Lithium during one of those celebrity DJ weekends...)

Seal on Lithium is an absolute abortion (and a carryover from Lucy).

Lucy was basically programmed like every other hit-based channel on XM: in the laziest way possible. The PD would go through the charts and if a song was on the charts that was enough to get it into the playlist, with no regard to how the intervening years have changed the view of the song, or, for new music based stations, by not playing music until it charted. There was never really any initiative from the programmers of hits channels at XM to do anything that didn't fit the chart.

Reactions: semipenguin