More iPhone questions...

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
If anyone can answer these, I'd appreciate it :)

Does the built in email client allow you to manage more than one POP3 or IMAP email account?

Does the email client allow you to configure email accounts to send and receive via SSL?

Can their email app run int he background and check email in pre-determined intervals and alert me of new messages? If so, does this kill battery life?

Thanks!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Does the built in email client allow you to manage more than one POP3 or IMAP email account?

I use Gmail and MobileMe email so yes, and I could always add more if necessary.

Does the email client allow you to configure email accounts to send and receive via SSL?

Yes. It works just like secure web sessions. I have heard of some errors, but those are easily remedied by making sure the settings are correct.

Can their email app run int he background and check email in pre-determined intervals and alert me of new messages? If so, does this kill battery life?

It can and does. You can check messages in 15, 30, 45 or 60 minute intervals. The lower the minute intervals the more it affects battery life, but it's not a major issue. It doesn't drain the battery more to check for 15 than it does for 60.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
If anyone can answer these, I'd appreciate it :)

Thanks!

Since most of your questions were answered, I talk about email. I think the email application on the iPhone and iPod Touch is great! I have used it so, so many times. I can't imagine not having it these days.

The push service that MobileMe has seems to work sporadically and of course the biggest complain with it is that your battery certain takes a hit with push turned on. I find having mine check every 30 minutes suits me fine and doesn't seem to impact my battery life that much. It checks and then the connection shuts down. Unlike Push that basically stays live all the time.

It is great to be able to get and send secured email using the SSL. I use Google Gmail which does allow you to use some push features such as calendar and contacts using Microsofts Exchange syncing (doesn't seem to impact the battery as bad as MobileMe).

MobileMe is far too limited for business use in my opinion. I don't need or want a new email address, I want to be able to send and get email to my domain address. This is almost impossible without jumping through 10 hoops and even then it isn't practical. It is really more for an individual who doesn't have domain email and doesn't care if they have to send from joeblow@me.com LOL

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
sounds like the email client is pretty good. i'm going back and forth between iphone and blackberry right now, but the iphone keeps coming out ahead. One of the main things I want to use a smartphone for is email (my own domain, not that mobile me or whatever). Checking every 15 min would work for me, I don't really need push email.

thanks guys for the info!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I use MobileMe for mostly personal stuff. I subscribe to a lot of Email Breaking News Alerts (Weather.com, CNN, Amber Alerts, etc) and the instantaneous send and receive is nice for that. Plus I barely check email on my laptop anymore since having Mobile Me and Gmail on my iPhone. I set my Gmail to get checked every 15 minutes. It's not a big battery issue, at least not the biggest.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
sounds like the email client is pretty good. i'm going back and forth between iphone and blackberry right now, but the iphone keeps coming out ahead. One of the main things I want to use a smartphone for is email (my own domain, not that mobile me or whatever). Checking every 15 min would work for me, I don't really need push email.

thanks guys for the info!

I would wait until June so you can get the new one. :)

I have 3 email accounts set up on my phone. They all work great. I have push shut off for all emails.

It is nice to have my contacts and calendars auto sync in the "cloud." When I change something on my phone it automatically updates on my Mac.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California

I have 3 email accounts set up on my phone. They all work great. I have push shut off for all emails.

It is nice to have my contacts and calendars auto sync in the "cloud." When I change something on my phone it automatically updates on my Mac.

Yeah, I'm looking at December for a new phone. Gotta wait for the wife to be free of her Verizon contract before we make a switch. She wouldn't be too happy if I were to get one while she is stuck with a "dumb" phone! Plus I do want to see if new hardware is introduced in June. Now if they would just lower their monthly package prices a bit. It's freaking ridiculous to pay 30 bucks a month to give unlimited text for both of us. There is no reason that SMS should not be included in the unlimited data plans. Sprint has a reasonable Blackberry plan that includes unlimited data and messaging for like $70 a month.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
For us 1st gen folks, we get 200 texts included with our $20 unlimited data plan.

Yeah, they made the 3G hardware cheaper by making it more expensive every month! That's kind of one of the reasons why I am still researching the blackberry.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

Yeah I think if you are going to get an iPhone it would be smart to wait and see what Apple is going to do.

I too have 3 accounts setup on my iPod Touch and I don't use the cloud, but I use Gmail and I get the push calendar and contacts via my Gmail domain account and it works GREAT. I love making appointments or adding new contacts and having it show up instantly on my Gmail contact and calendar. Microsoft Exchange Sync works very well and I was so happy when Google implemented this a few weeks ago, heck maybe a month or so now. So, I guess you could say I have the Google Cloud! hehehe

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I forgot about this thread! I ended up with a Blackberry Bold and I absolutely love it. I ended up really liking the push email for multiple accounts. I got an iphone for my wife and she really loves that phone too! Both are very cool but the blackberry functions and configurability put the bold on top for me. The iphone is way better at playing media and is nore user friendly. So having both in the house gives us the best of both worlds! I am posting this from my blackberry while enjoying a cool soda outside my neighboorhood cafe :).

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
I have AT&T and use MMS (and have been for the past year). This is on a BB Pearl though.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize that. Why would it be different on the iPhone though? Are there a lot of limitations like that? I'm thinking of going from BB to the iPhone but not if there are other limitations.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I think MMS and tethering needs to be worked on and ready by "summer." I'm not sure the exact reasons.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Don't forget that you also have to update your iphone with the v3.0 software if you want MMS. Then once ATT gets around to enabling this feature you should be able to send picture messages.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
If this were Sirius with these various shortcomings, people would be pulling their hairs out. For some reason, Apple gets a pass...