More details on SiriusXM Lynx

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
Seems to me they could do one of four things:

1) tell Sirius and XM lifetime's: "you can swap over to any like-1.0 radio." Keeping people from switching and overtime you can't find the 1.0 radios so the 3-time swaps eventually just get to the point where they are of no use because you have nothing available to swap to. Eventually the radios die off and there are effectively no lifetime subs left.

2) Encourage people to swap and not sell future lifetimes thus getting people to burn through their 3 swaps and eventually lifetime radios burn out and they get everyone on the more expensive pay as you go plans.

3) Keep offering lifetimes and allow people to swap and keep producing more interesting radios so that they get more lifetime swaps plus more lifetimers keep the customers happy.

4) Just sort of keep quiet about it with no obvious plan and leave the lifetime's guessing about what they can/can't do (their current strategy).

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
There's really no motivation for them to give a crap about Lifetime subscribers. There's no way to extract additional revenue from them (other than by selling hardware or charging the $75 swap fee).

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I agree with some of you. Is the company combined or seperate? It's been a while now billing and all channels should be combined. You shouldn't have to pay extra for Sirius channels if your coming from a Sirius radio to the new Lynx. Especially if it's lifetimed on the Sirius side.

Limegrass69... I'm sure your right about them giving a crap, but thats bull. They sure did care when people paid hundreds of dollars for that lifetime subscription and they took that money to help their bottom line when they really needed it.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
When is this thing gonna be available? And how much? I could definitely see cutting back to one sub with this thing. The possibilities with this and the Bose soundlink are intriguing.

I'm not sure why they don't try to focus more on Bluetooth now. So many cars and aftermarket stereos have it now it's a great solution to the crappy fm transmitters. Power connect is a dead end, and only marginally works anyway.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
The other thread http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/news-announcements/15883-say-hello-sirius-xm-lynx.html mentioned $250, but I wasn't seeing where that was a confirmed price. It may have come from the Best Buy website before they pulled it.

I posted this not long ago, when I received my crutchfield magazine in the mail and I scanned in the page that talks about the Lynx and Edge radios. So the price tag is $249 for the Lynx.

crutchfield-ad.jpg

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
When is this thing gonna be available? And how much? I could definitely see cutting back to one sub with this thing. The possibilities with this and the Bose soundlink are intriguing.

I'm not sure why they don't try to focus more on Bluetooth now. So many cars and aftermarket stereos have it now it's a great solution to the crappy fm transmitters. Power connect is a dead end, and only marginally works anyway.

From what I'm hearing the Earliest the Lynx would be out will be mid December.

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA
From what I'm hearing the Earliest the Lynx would be out will be mid December.

Taylor, Since you went to training, perhaps you can post what you learned? Everyone wants to know specifically about the recording. Does it really record off Wifi? Can you schedule it like the Stiletto or S50? I know it will record 5 channels at a time, but can you playback while it is recording like a vcr the way the stiletto does?

The fact that it has a Android OS, might mean that they might make some APPS? Perhpas a browser? Could it possibly be booted off the microSD card with a hacked version of the os such as the Nook tablet can? Remember all the s50 Hack's might be fun to work on this...

How about the bottom connector? could this plug into any boom boxes? Mid Dec is two weeks away.

I suspect if it will be shipping by then dealers should be getting it in 10 days or so. The wait continues....

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Taylor, Since you went to training, perhaps you can post what you learned? Everyone wants to know specifically about the recording. Does it really record off Wifi? Can you schedule it like the Stiletto or S50? I know it will record 5 channels at a time, but can you playback while it is recording like a vcr the way the stiletto does?

The fact that it has a Android OS, might mean that they might make some APPS? Perhpas a browser? Could it possibly be booted off the microSD card with a hacked version of the os such as the Nook tablet can? Remember all the s50 Hack's might be fun to work on this...

How about the bottom connector? could this plug into any boom boxes? Mid Dec is two weeks away.

I suspect if it will be shipping by then dealers should be getting it in 10 days or so. The wait continues....

Me-Rubin in the house! !!!!!!!!
Good yo see ya man! And good questions too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
If that true, at least we possibly got date going?

It sounds like whenever they make it on the ship, clear customers, and make it to the distributor they will be available. Taylor said Sirius doesn't do release dates, they sell them as soon as they get them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
There is no longer SIR and XMRO the Internet Feed and App is now SiriusXM Internet Radio. It might be different in Canada but here it's completely merged.

We got a demo of it at TSS but it's very confusing to me how it works still and is that way for our rep. I really need to play with one for a few days. It's not a device that the feature list do justice. Don't quote me on any of the stuff I'm going to put in bullet points below.
-It seems to record via Both Wifi and Satellite Radio
-Recording shows on Satellite is more along the lines of the Radio Replays feature where it automatically records your top 5 presets (which I never personally liked)
-Bottom connector is not like any current radio. They have a Boombox/Exec Dock in the works but that won't be out for some time
-TSS is in the works for making a silicon armband case for it, and none will be out when the Lynx comes out.
-Two weeks could be early. NOBODY knows for sure. They have the hardware made it's just all about software tweaks. I will go further into this in the next post.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
So here's the deal. First I don't know how much of this info is out there and I always know DRC takes this stuff for granted. Muddy waters when discussing this stuff and not sure anyone really cares about that but oh well.

The BIG thing about the Lynx and 2.0 is integrating that stuff. The Lynx is dependent on this whole new 2.0 platform for delivering the online content. The Online player and apps are going to change soon, and Android a bit after. ONCE those do that the Lynx will change. So getting a demo of the Lynx now is not the same as getting a demo of the Lynx once 2.0 rolls out.

A lot of this reminded me of how people demanded an Interoperable Radio when the company merged but then the company merged most of the content and the idea of the Interoperable Radio kinda went away. Lots of people will be very happy with 2.0 on it's own. And lots will enjoy bumping up to the Lynx for the way that it manages 2.0. It's complicated to explain but I think this post will make a lot of sense in a couple of weeks.

The main thing I'm looking forward to is something called "A Season Pass" for certain shows. And from what I know that will be available on the Online Stream and Apps. Just don't quote me on that.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Thanks for the tons of 4-1-1 Tom. When I get the receiver I'll probably read the user's manual till the pages are dog eared. I think users who want a lot out of their products will love the Lynx's versatility.

I'm interested in the replies from folks who stated their preferences in the 2.0 thread.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Thanks for the tons of 4-1-1 Tom. When I get the receiver I'll probably read the user's manual till the pages are dog eared. I think users who want a lot out of their products will love the Lynx's versatility.

I'm interested in the replies from folks who stated their preferences in the 2.0 thread.

I'll dog ear the manual too. This is going to be a really odd transition with new toys first and the service upgrading later. It'll be like getting a whole new radio each step of the way.

FlyersFan76

Nov 28, 2011
Has the owners manual leaked anywhere yet.

I know some things might change because of software versions BUT it would be nice to get a little info before hand. I like getting the radio activated while I am driving home from the store. :)

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
First of all, thanks for all the great info Taylor. Surely they won't make a radio this advanced and not have manual or scheduled recordings. Of course if season pass means you download the shows to your lynx over wifi, scheduled recordings aren't really necessary. Please keep us posted on what you learn. This is definitely the most intriguing sat rad offering in a very long time.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
First of all, thanks for all the great info Taylor. Surely they won't make a radio this advanced and not have manual or scheduled recordings. Of course if season pass means you download the shows to your lynx over wifi, scheduled recordings aren't really necessary. Please keep us posted on what you learn. This is definitely the most intriguing sat rad offering in a very long time.

I really like the aspect of recording any channel via wifi. It gives me the full freedom to dub any program in the lineup. I've got to see about the 200 hour maximum and repeat recording capabilities. I've got a lot more to speculate on, but no manual no dice. It sure will be an interesting piece of hardware to carefully review.