Monty Python Radio to Launch on SIRIUS XM Radio

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 7, 2008

SIRIUS XM Radio announced that it will launch Monty Python Radio, a 24/7 channel devoted to, and hosted by, the iconic British comedy troupe.

The limited-run channel will premiere on Friday, October 16, the day after the stars receive a Special Award from The British Academy of Film and Television Arts event at the Ziegfeld Theater in New York City, and will run for ten full days featuring classic Python sketches, skits and, songs; fans calling in with requests; fans and celebrities telling favorite sketches and Python memories; and various members of the original Python troupe reminiscing and talking of new projects.

The 24/7 channel will showcase comedic bits from Monty Python’sFlying Circus television show, including the legendary segments “Spam,” “Nudge Nudge,” “Killer Joke,” “Argument Clinic,” “Cheese Shop” and unexpected skits like “The Spanish Inquisition,” and tracks from the troupe’s various albums, including Monty Python and The Holy Grail, Monty Python’s Contractual Obligation Album, Matching Tie and Handkerchief, Monty Python’s Life of Brian, Monty Python’s The Meaning Of Life and Monty Python Sings.

Monty Python fans can request their favorite skits during the “Monty Python Request Shows” airing regularly throughout the ten days. During this segment, fans will take the stage as they share their memories and tell their stories about watching Python.

“This is the first time that the Pythons have had their very own radio channel and we are proud to honor their 40th anniversary, and complete their invasion of North America, by creating with them Monty Python Radio,” said Scott Greenstein, President and Chief Content Officer, SIRIUS XM Radio.

Monty Python Radio will air through Sunday, October 25 on SIRIUS channel 105 and XM channel 151.

For more information, please visit www.sirius.com or www.xmradio.com.

---
View the original Article at Digital Radio Magazine or discuss it here.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'll tune in for just a little bit. It only lasts for a week. I couldn't imagine it going any longer than that anyway.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg]YouTube - Lumber jack song[/ame]

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Excited for this but glad it is only for a week.

Anything more would be overkill.

I was a big fan growing up. Haven't listened to or watched Monty Python in a long time.

I will be checking this out. Stern is probably on vacation this week anyway.

TimTimSalabim

Oct 17, 2008
So this is going on the clean comedy channel. That's kind of an odd choice, the regular listeners of that channel may be in for a shock :).

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I'm sorry but other than Bennie Hill I never got British Humor ESPECIALLY Monty Python and I go back to when those episodes were NEW.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I'm sorry but other than Bennie Hill I never got British Humor ESPECIALLY Monty Python and I go back to when those episodes were NEW.

British humor can definitely be different. I know that for some people, it's partly related to the accent. A lot of folks give up on the whole thing and don't let their ear get trained to the sounds of the words. I grew up watching Python, Dr. Who, and a ton of other British shows - living close to Canada gave us quite a few extra choices in stations that showed them besides the mostly boring shows on PBS. :)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Sounds fun and a week is long enough! They do have those extra entertainment channels now so there should be no need to remove any of our current music channels for this.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Sounds fun and a week is long enough! They do have those extra entertainment channels now so there should be no need to remove any of our current music channels for this.

Since this is a comedy channel, it only makes sense for them to interrupt a comedy channel.

I hope they put it on the Stiletto's "limited engagement" channel, so that it won't affect Laugh USA's regular programming online.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
British humor can definitely be different. I know that for some people, it's partly related to the accent. A lot of folks give up on the whole thing and don't let their ear get trained to the sounds of the words. I grew up watching Python, Dr. Who, and a ton of other British shows - living close to Canada gave us quite a few extra choices in stations that showed them besides the mostly boring shows on PBS. :)
I have to disagree. For me it has NOTHING to do with the accent, most of it just isn't funny to me. I like Grahm Norton and some shows on BBC America at times.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I have to disagree. For me it has NOTHING to do with the accent, most of it just isn't funny to me. I like Grahm Norton and some shows on BBC America at times.

Well, see, there you go - Graham Norton can be funny stuff! BBC America, when it first debuted, used to show a really wide variety of Britcoms, but have scaled back over the years. Kinda miss those early days of the channel sometimes.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Well, see, there you go - Graham Norton can be funny stuff! BBC America, when it first debuted, used to show a really wide variety of Britcoms, but have scaled back over the years. Kinda miss those early days of the channel sometimes.
I'm gonna' check out the channel, maybe it'll be funny to me without the visual.

almaniac27

Nov 12, 2008
Kent, Ohio

I've always loved Monty Python, and I never really thought about the accent much, I could always understand what they were saying. What's weird is that I've tried watching the British version of The Office and I could barely make out the dialogue so I gave up.