Monthly rate increase?

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
When did the monthly cost per receiver tacked onto my lifetime sub go from $6.99 to $8.99? I called to change the billing card for my daughter today, and was told that she is now paying $8.99/mo for each of her two radios, when she has been paying $6.99/mo the past few years.

Is Sirius in that much financial trouble these days, or is this just the inevitable result of the newly formed monopoly? (I remember Mel `jokingly' telling Stern last year when he was discussing the merger and the ramifications of Stern reupping his contract - `Where you going to go? We're a monopoly now!')

Anyone know anything about the monthly price increase?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
It went up to 8.99 for additional subs back in march and also you have to pay 2.99 for internet radio. Kinda sucks but it's been going on for a few months now.

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
It went up to 8.99 for additional subs back in march.

Thanks. I figured this had to be a fairly recent change.

Oh well, with normal inflation and (more importantly) what Bush has done to our economy the past 8 years, I guess it was bound to happen. All businesses suffer during recessions, and Sirius is no different.

Plus, now that Sirius is a monopoly, there is no incentive to keep the rates down.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Thanks. I figured this had to be a fairly recent change.

Oh well, with normal inflation and (more importantly) what Bush has done to our economy the past 8 years, I guess it was bound to happen. All businesses suffer during recessions, and Sirius is no different.

Plus, now that Sirius is a monopoly, there is no incentive to keep the rates down.
There are MANY alternatives to Satrad. I seriously hope that the shirts don't price themselves out of business. I see the jar as half full, within the next 5 years Satrad will be a real player if the shirts would listen to the choir that they preach to.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Whoa, hold the phone. Wasn't a price freeze part of the merger deal?

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
They're allowed to pass along the increases in music royalty fees. The RIAA is once again trying to screw everyone that keeps them in business.

God damnit. Sirius makes it sooooooooooooooo incredibly hard to stay subscribed.

Why, oh, why? :bigahh:

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Yep, remember when this happened. It was the month I went down to one XM radio. Now, they're gonna be raising rates by $2 a month on your primary radio too.

It's almost like they WANT us to cancel.

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
It's almost like they WANT us to cancel.

And we're the ones who LOVE this service!

Imagine what those still on the fence about satellite radio must think when they read all the threads here detailing the rate increases, reception problems, and spotty equipment performance?

I always explain to people that, as a relatively new medium, satellite radio is still largely an art (as opposed to being a science). But - especially in a down economy - that doesn't make it any easier to get people to shell out their hard earned $$$ every month.

Sirius - are you listening?