Mobile Me

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Are any of you using this? What are your thoughts on it?

I am currently using the Google Calendar and Contact which does the push sync, but currently it does not support email.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Sorry, I use Exchange through Mailstreet for $12 per month.

So do you have your own domain and how does this work for you, is there a web based outlook email client?

Thanks for the info. I did trial of Mobile Me, but I am not impressed, I find the Exchange active sync that Google Offers for Calendar and Contact is much better, but no push email at this point.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Yes, the $12 per month includes Mobile Access with iPhone, 2GB for my email, (PST) and Outlook Web Access. Pushed email is instantaneous. I do have my own domain but you can choose to keep your existing email addy and just utilize the benefits of having Exchange. Actually, that is how my wife uses Mailstreet. Setup is a snap, tech support is available via phone or chat. I think they allow you to trial them for 30 day's. You have to pony up the 1st month $$$ but if you decide not to use them you get the $$$ back. I highly recommend them.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Thanks, I think I am going to do a trial and I do have my own domain, I've had it for over 10 years now. It has bounced around from provider to provider over the years, but my email addy has never changed! LOL

So first I have to set and exchange hosting account and then add on the iPhone Mobile Access from what it looks like.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Thanks, I think I am going to do a trial and I do have my own domain, I've had it for over 10 years now. It has bounced around from provider to provider over the years, but my email addy has never changed! LOL

So first I have to set and exchange hosting account and then add on the iPhone Mobile Access from what it looks like.

Correct. I recommend either calling them or chat with them to set everything up correctly. It took about 10 minutes at most to set everything up. They are very good and easy to work with AND based in America!:bigthumbup:

Last edited:

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I use MobileMe. I don't use the me.com email address alot. But the push calendars and contacts is sweet.

The new Find my iPhone feature is cool, too.

Give the trial a shot, I think you'll like it.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I use MobileMe. I don't use the me.com email address alot. But the push calendars and contacts is sweet.

The new Find my iPhone feature is cool, too.

Give the trial a shot, I think you'll like it.

Yeah, I am doing that now, they give you like 60 days to play with it, so I will surely know if I want to use it or not. I do like that Find My Phone feature and it will send a message to your phone with an alert, that is sweet!

Really $99 bucks isn't bad for what you get!

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Do I have to pay for MobileMe to set up my work account mail address and domain? It's Microsoft Exchange, but I won't pay for it myself. If I have to do that I will just wait to check that email when I get my laptop online. I have multiple email addresses and I am happy just using them on the iphone.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Do I have to pay for MobileMe to set up my work account mail address and domain? It's Microsoft Exchange, but I won't pay for it myself. If I have to do that I will just wait to check that email when I get my laptop online. I have multiple email addresses and I am happy just using them on the iphone.

Mobile me is not really very business friendly in terms of domains etc. You can't use a domain email, you can't even add and alias to send email from an address within your domain. You are stuck with an @me email address. This is what terms so many folks off using the service.

I'd never think twice about using MobileMe if I could use my domain fully! Today I've got both my personal and business email addresses forward to my me account being pushed. It is nice, I like it! But if I try to reply it will show that is from my me account.

Clearly Apple doesn't want business using this in that way!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I got this Mailstreet Exchange hosted service up and running, including the spam service. Which they don't seem to worry with if you don't buy that extra service. My domain has been around for while, so I get a lot of spam. It works great on the iPhone.

I was bummed that there was no easy way to import address books from other services. It seems you can't use other identities, which is just like Apple's ME. I can use my domain name, YES, but no other idents at all.

Man I just wish Google would enable push email, because their push calendar and contacts works great and its free. I am not really looking forward to paying $150 a year for email service.

ME works good to, though it seems like they often have times during the day where mail doesn't actually get pushed at all. The calendar and contacts seem to work well. The Locater for the iPhone is cool too. It really is a good package for $99 and since both services seem to have limitations one just has to weigh out which will work out best.

I may just stick with push calendar and contacts with Google and let my Google mailbox continue to fetch my email every 15 to 30 minutes. Its like my son said tonight, is there every really any email that you need to get instantly? Not really! Then why spend that money every year the free Google Non Profit setup is a no brainer... damn that boy is smart! hehehe

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
What do you mean you cannot use other identities? I have my Comcast email auto-forward directly into my Mailstreet account.

Last edited:

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Its like my son said tonight, is there every really any email that you need to get instantly? Not really! Then why spend that money every year the free Google Non Profit setup is a no brainer... damn that boy is smart! hehehe

He sure is. He's got a smart Dad, too.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Not to 'jack the thread, but GMail does push email using some sort of IMAP4 protocol on the Blackberry. Maybe they are working on something like that for the iPhone.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
What do you mean you cannot use other identities? I have my Comcast email auto-forward directly into my Mailstreet account.

For example, I have my own domain then I have my company domain. So, I used my personal domain to setup the Mailstreet account. So, I then forwarded my email from my business domain email account. However, if I get email there is no way for me to send it from the forwarded domain. I need to be able to switch between identities when sending email either from Outlook, Outook Web Client. I know the iPhone doesn't support this, but every ISP and web provider in the world supports multiple identies. Now I am not talking about aliases, which from talking to support is the only way you can do multiple idents, but only from within the same domain.

So I go to OWA, log in and I have an email from a business associate, I can't send from my business domain idents, I have to send from my personal ident, because there is no ability that support knew of to setup an ident outside your current domain.

The Mailstreet service is great, but I just don't think it will work for me, because the thing that I need to be able to do, I can do from Google just fine.

The other option I have if I just HAVE to get push email is have my email forward to Mobile Me account, which is what many people do, but then again from the iPhone you can't do various idents, so you are stuck with them @me.com. I just got a email special from Apple for buying the iPhone in which I can now get a Mobile Me account for $69 for the first year. However, I am doubtful to subscribe because of the limitations they have within the iPhone mail client that won't allow for multiple idents either.

These folks should know many of us have multiple email accounts and need to be able to reply from or send from those idents even if it all comes to a single account. Google gets it!

He sure is. He's got a smart Dad, too.

Thank you sir! :) Sometimes though I want stuff I really don't even need. Pretty said when your kid gets you to realize that. LOL

Not to 'jack the thread, but GMail does push email using some sort of IMAP4 protocol on the Blackberry. Maybe they are working on something like that for the iPhone.

I sure hope some lime because Gmail is hard to beat and now that they have activated mutliple calendars via the iPhone 3.0 OS, this means I can have as many calendars as I want all being pushed to my iPhone. I like that. Each one of my clinics have their own appointments calendars, now those are on my iPhone. We have an agency calendar, plus I have a personal calendar. This is another advanage that that Google's setup has over the Mailstreet or Mobile Me setup is access to all my calendars, via our NonProfit Business account. I also get automatic contact updates when a new employee is added or one leaves. Nothing to do on my part at all. Gmail truly is GREAT! I think if we were not getting it free as a Non Profit Google Partner, I'd pay for the service. I think they will eventually get the push email working on the iPhone.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I have MobileMe for $99 a year. I use the email quite often, in fact more than my Gmail address because of the push, which is nice for weather and breaking news e-mail or other stuff you want right away.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
For example, I have my own domain then I have my company domain. So, I used my personal domain to setup the Mailstreet account. So, I then forwarded my email from my business domain email account. However, if I get email there is no way for me to send it from the forwarded domain. I need to be able to switch between identities when sending email either from Outlook, Outook Web Client. I know the iPhone doesn't support this, but every ISP and web provider in the world supports multiple identies. Now I am not talking about aliases, which from talking to support is the only way you can do multiple idents, but only from within the same domain.

So I go to OWA, log in and I have an email from a business associate, I can't send from my business domain idents, I have to send from my personal ident, because there is no ability that support knew of to setup an ident outside your current domain.

The Mailstreet service is great, but I just don't think it will work for me, because the thing that I need to be able to do, I can do from Google just fine.

The other option I have if I just HAVE to get push email is have my email forward to Mobile Me account, which is what many people do, but then again from the iPhone you can't do various idents, so you are stuck with them @me.com. I just got a email special from Apple for buying the iPhone in which I can now get a Mobile Me account for $69 for the first year. However, I am doubtful to subscribe because of the limitations they have within the iPhone mail client that won't allow for multiple idents either.

These folks should know many of us have multiple email accounts and need to be able to reply from or send from those idents even if it all comes to a single account. Google gets it!

Thank you sir! :) Sometimes though I want stuff I really don't even need. Pretty said when your kid gets you to realize that. LOL

I sure hope some lime because Gmail is hard to beat and now that they have activated mutliple calendars via the iPhone 3.0 OS, this means I can have as many calendars as I want all being pushed to my iPhone. I like that. Each one of my clinics have their own appointments calendars, now those are on my iPhone. We have an agency calendar, plus I have a personal calendar. This is another advanage that that Google's setup has over the Mailstreet or Mobile Me setup is access to all my calendars, via our NonProfit Business account. I also get automatic contact updates when a new employee is added or one leaves. Nothing to do on my part at all. Gmail truly is GREAT! I think if we were not getting it free as a Non Profit Google Partner, I'd pay for the service. I think they will eventually get the push email working on the iPhone.

Can't you just setup a POP account on your iphone? I have my Mailstreet account and my POP account setup on my iphone. Same on my PC via Outlook.

zevious

Oct 12, 2008
I use the iPhone app to check my Gmail email because it gives me a notification when I have new email. I usually use it to read new email. I also have the Gmail site saved with an icon on my phone. The Gmail iPhone web app is pretty close to the standard Gmail web site, feature-wise. I have 4+ emails set to forward to my Gmail account. This setup works great for me. No need to pay extra for Mobile.me or Mailstreet.

I don't think most people realize how great Gmail is.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Can't you just setup a POP account on your iphone? I have my Mailstreet account and my POP account setup on my iphone. Same on my PC via Outlook.

I do have separate imap accounts setup for my Gmail accounts, which works out great, but the mail comes to those accounts because that is where the domains are setup. I have Google Apps Education Edition for Nonprofits (which is free). It is the same version that business would ordinarily have to pay for. I love having domain email using the Gmail interface becaues it also works with all the Google Applications.

mrpacs, doing what you suggest I have zero need for Mailstreet! The point is they should support multiple idents not only from Outlook, but from Outook Web Access and they simply do not. The support people and I talked to like 4 different ones told me they have a lot of request for that, but don't understand why it can't be implimented. I would agree! I should be able to pick any from address I want too, why do they care and lock out this ability? It is locked out server side though just like ME.

If Apple wanted to hit a home run if they gave this ability on the iPhone as well as their Me setup, they have a crap load of businesses using them because the $99 a year is reasonable. None the less free is still even better. I can live without Push email until Gmail gets around to working it out on the iPhone. Then I'll be all set and it won't cost me anything.

Having played around with Push email, I have found if you get a lot of email, which I do it drains your battery pretty quickly. I've decided for me having it set for fetch or even manual will get the job done. There is nothing being sent to me that I can't get within 15 minutes or when I want to check it with a lot less drain on my battery.

I agree with zevious, it is just hard to beat Gmail's current setup! I honestly can't justify $99 for Mobile me or $144 a year for Mailstreet considering their limitations.