Mobile listening drives radio, webcasting growth

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
MOBILE LISTENING DRIVES RADIO, WEBCASTING GROWTH

Broadcasters and webcasters looking for some big growth are all headed in the same direction: mobile Internet.

An Inside Radio article reports that streaming already accounts for up to 10% of CBS Radio’s total audience, and 16% of Clear Channel’s. And increasingly, those streams are reaching wireless devices. Listeners have downloaded 3.5 Million Clear Channel iheartradio apps; double that for CBS Radio apps (including AOL Radio and Yahoo! Radio). And both of them are trumped by Pandora’s 11 million app downloads. Of the nearly 2 million new users who registered with Pandora last month, 200,000 per week (totaling about 40% of the month’s 2 million) did so via their smart phone, according to SVP Cheryl Lucanegro.

Inside Radio / M Street Publications

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
That makes a lot of sense!

I think the wireless community needs to start gripping about the abundance of deadzones still, though.

I live in a fairly remote part of PA and the deadzones are as abundant as the cows. Mobile internet doesn't do squat for me if I don't even have a signal, correct?

But let's look a more urban environment. Last time I lived in Philly and tried to use my cellphone on the subway or in an underground train complex, no service.... blah! Can anyone tell me if this has improved, as it's been a few years?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
That makes a lot of sense!

I think the wireless community needs to start gripping about the abundance of deadzones still, though.

I live in a fairly remote part of PA and the deadzones are as abundant as the cows. Mobile internet doesn't do squat for me if I don't even have a signal, correct?

But let's look a more urban environment. Last time I lived in Philly and tried to use my cellphone on the subway or in an underground train complex, no service.... blah! Can anyone tell me if this has improved, as it's been a few years?

I couldn't get jack squat on AT&T in the 'burbs of Denver for a while, then they just recently upgraded the 3G coverage and now I get 5 bars and perfect reception. It will be interesting to see what WiMax brings when it is finally implemented.