MMTC Wants All Radio On Satellite Receivers

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
MMTC Wants All Radio On Satellite Receivers
trans.gif
December 11, 2008

The Minority Media and Telecommunications Council (MMTC) has filed comments with the FCC, which is asking for opinions on interoperable satellite radio receivers. The MMTC believes that satellite radio receivers should also offer access to AM, FM and HD Radio and according to reports, believes that minority owners are working at a disadvantage in the radio broadcasting world. Minority broadcasters missed out on owning major signals years and are left with access to lesser signals, "“especially AMs with weak technical facilities."
The MMTC wrote, "By requiring satellite radio receivers to include reception capability that provides a seamless scan of analog AM and FM, HD Radio and SDARS, the Commission would ameliorate this historic residue of spectrum inequality by eliminating listeners’ perception that AM radio is a separate and unequal service."
The Council believes that "without such a requirement, Sirius XM could use its satellite monopoly in the marketplace, the cost savings generated from the merger, and its relationships with equipment manufacturers and retailers to retard the growth of terrestrial services."
FMQB: Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!

I do agree that terrestrial services are retarded, but the rest I don't like. Can you imagine the size of this unit? Does HD Radio even make a portable version? I assume they are also looking at requiring HD radios to have SatRad capabilities? Right??? If they are concerned about their AM stations, why are they including HDRadio?

downsj

Nov 17, 2008
I do agree that terrestrial services are retarded, but the rest I don't like. Can you imagine the size of this unit? Does HD Radio even make a portable version? I assume they are also looking at requiring HD radios to have SatRad capabilities? Right??? If they are concerned about their AM stations, why are they including HDRadio?

Yes, there are/were portable digital ("HD") radios, and yes there are/were digital ("HD") AM stations.

That aside, the entire proposition is patently ridiculous and nothing more than a scream for attention.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
FMQB: Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!

But it's not a disadvantage to sat radio that the AM/FM radio in my car doesn't do sat radio without a $500+ dealer option (or older cars not at all) or a PNP? I hate fucking terrestrial hypocrites.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I say go for it!! Let the "MMTC" (whatever the f*ck that is) research and develop the hardware. They can also pay the required royalty to iBiquity for each HD chipset. Oh, and by the way, they should require that all standard AM/FM radios include satellite. While they are at it, they can throw in a DirecTV tuner, iPod, mobile phone, and digital cable box. Douche bags. MMTC=NAB.

craptacular

Nov 3, 2008
Regarding the issue on minority programming and special privileges given to minorities because of nothing else but their skin color(Of course I'm talking about affirmative action):

Why do certain minorities need to be given favor over other races?

If someone's ancestor was denied the right to go to school and have a chance to become a doctor, does it mean that someone who's less qualified should be accepted into medical school compared to someone who's of a different race but scored much higher on their MCAT's? Hell no. Neither should a minority group be given channels based on their skin color. This is capitalism, whatever is more popular and earns more money(by business sense) should be kept and whatever is bleeding your company dry should be cut out. Someone who's untalented and doesn't bring in revenue/listeners shouldn't be given a channel of their own.

Regarding MMTC's comment about Satellite Radio retarding the growth of the radio industry:

The terrestrial radio industry put themselves in this situation, HD Radio was available YEARS ago, yet they NOW decide to utilize this technology(and quite poorly at that) in hopes of expanding their medium and increasing revenue. Why should satellite radio have to help a competitor to expand their medium? It's ludicrous.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
I say go for it!! Let the "MMTC" (whatever the f*ck that is) research and develop the hardware. They can also pay the required royalty to iBiquity for each HD chipset. Oh, and by the way, they should require that all standard AM/FM radios include satellite. While they are at it, they can throw in a DirecTV tuner, iPod, mobile phone, and digital cable box. Douche bags. MMTC=NAB.

Right on!

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
This is some of the dumbest thing I've read in a long time. I bought Satellite Radio in order to GET AWAY from AM/FM radio now the freakin' MMTC whoever the hell they are are trying to force their shitty programming on me again? Attention MMTC, I have AM/FM in my home and in my car and haven't listened to it for over 5yrs. Get a clue there are at least 19 million people that don't want you. Why worry about us, concentrate on the other 300+ million people that still listen to the garbage on AM/FM/HD radio.:mad:

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Regarding the issue on minority programming and special privileges given to minorities because of nothing else but their skin color(Of course I'm talking about affirmative action):

Why do certain minorities need to be given favor over other races?

If someone's ancestor was denied the right to go to school and have a chance to become a doctor, does it mean that someone who's less qualified should be accepted into medical school compared to someone who's of a different race but scored much higher on their MCAT's? Hell no. Neither should a minority group be given channels based on their skin color. This is capitalism, whatever is more popular and earns more money(by business sense) should be kept and whatever is bleeding your company dry should be cut out. Someone who's untalented and doesn't bring in revenue/listeners shouldn't be given a channel of their own.

Regarding MMTC's comment about Satellite Radio retarding the growth of the radio industry:

The terrestrial radio industry put themselves in this situation, HD Radio was available YEARS ago, yet they NOW decide to utilize this technology(and quite poorly at that) in hopes of expanding their medium and increasing revenue. Why should satellite radio have to help a competitor to expand their medium? It's ludicrous.
I agree 100%.

Nov 9, 2008
nj
Clarify this

I'd contact the, but Im afraid to in today's politaclaly correct world!
They'd probably GANG UP ON ME and contact my employer saying I racially discriminated against them,
God ,I really cant stand living in these times.
Heres my message :

If you cant speaka de english,LEARN IT!
Theres No excuse for people not to be able to communicate with each other.
Other languages are excuses !
Wah you dont broadcast in (FILL IN LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ENGLISH) ,I cant listen to my favorite commentary cause I dont understand.
Get a computer ,one of those learn english cdroms and LEARN IT!
Do we really need every language on the dam radio dial?
THIS IS AMERICA! Not (FILL IN COUNTRY)
If I wanted to hear (FILL IN ANOTHER LANGUAGE) I would go to that country!
I dont care to hear minority programming in the united states.
Maybe Ill start a Washington Dc based organization for showing foreigners how to learn english!
FREE TO AIR SATTELITE OFFERS FREE PROGRAMMING FOR YOU,Go Get one!

http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/images/smilies/crazy.gif

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I'd contact the, but Im afraid to in today's politaclaly correct world!
They'd probably GANG UP ON ME and contact my employer saying I racially discriminated against them,
God ,I really cant stand living in these times.
Heres my message :

If you cant speaka de english,LEARN IT!
Theres No excuse for people not to be able to communicate with each other.
Other languages are excuses !
Wah you dont broadcast in (FILL IN LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ENGLISH) ,I cant listen to my favorite commentary cause I dont understand.
Get a computer ,one of those learn english cdroms and LEARN IT!
Do we really need every language on the dam radio dial?
THIS IS AMERICA! Not (FILL IN COUNTRY)
If I wanted to hear (FILL IN ANOTHER LANGUAGE) I would go to that country!
I dont care to hear minority programming in the united states.
Maybe Ill start a Washington Dc based organization for showing foreigners how to learn english!
FREE TO AIR SATTELITE OFFERS FREE PROGRAMMING FOR YOU,Go Get one!

http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/images/smilies/crazy.gif
This is about Satellite Radio, NOT free to air Satellite TV.

monty

Oct 15, 2008
Bumpass, VA
This is some of the dumbest thing I've read in a long time. I bought Satellite Radio in order to GET AWAY from AM/FM radio now the freakin' MMTC whoever the hell they are are trying to force their shitty programming on me again? Attention MMTC, I have AM/FM in my home and in my car and haven't listened to it for over 5yrs. Get a clue there are at least 19 million people that don't want you. Why worry about us, concentrate on the other 300+ million people that still listen to the garbage on AM/FM/HD radio.:mad:

I am with you 100%

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
I just thought of something else: Why do all the morons screaming about satellite radio putting AM/FM at a disadvantage always insist that sat radios get built with an HD radio chip inside? I don't think they'd be meeting with as much resistance if they were just asking for an am/fm tuner in these radios, but the HD chipset is big, bulky, and expensive for the company putting it in the radios. Having a basic AM FM tuner (not that I think it's a good idea; just lookng at this from a different angle) would have the same effect on "competition" and it wouldn't require sat tuners to be twice as big as they are right now.

How about a law requiring HD in all AM/FM tuners first?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Why can't the FCC just tell these fuckwads to shut the fuck up?

Get ETM to do that! He's good at telling people to STFU.

"Shut the fuck up...you..big..mouthed..fucking...FCC..."

I agree. I pay for commercial-free music and uncensored talk on satellite radio. I think i'll GLADLY turn on my local FM radio station to hear commercials every five minutes.

Local sports radio: "Yeah, I thought that the local NBA team didn't do such a good job last night..they only won by three in a game they should have won by at least twenty."

Ferrall: "That team fucking sucks balls and cost me money. Their star forward sucks ass and needs a fucking wakeup call ASAP."

Down with FM radio! (except what we need for our FM transmitters.)