Mls Expansion Thread

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Since MLS is expanding like a wildfire, currently confirmed there are a total of 20 teams. But in the next couple of years, they will host 23 teams.

Atlanta United FC
Los Angeles FC Club
Minnesota United FC

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
The whole franchise model runs sports in this country, plus a playoff system.

I like the English & European model of football. You can't compete, you drop to the next division.

I would try & go down to Atlanta if they get a soccer team. That'd be cool

Reactions: Wolf

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
The whole franchise model runs sports in this country, plus a playoff system.

I like the English & European model of football. You can't compete, you drop to the next division.

Unfortunately that how it works in the U.S., the playoff system.

I totally agree, I'm starting to understand soccer a bit better now, with those European leagues. I have no favorite team, but I totally agree. You can't compete, get your ass down to the next division.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
The talks of bringing an expansion team to Phoenix is starting to happen a little by little. The only professional team is called the Arizona United FC, which they kinda suck. But they play in the west valley and east valley people don't want to travel to the west side, mainly like an hour drive. That the main situation problem why the attendee is low for the Arizona Coyotes.

But in order to bring an professional team to the city. The city and fans needs to cough up money for new stadium venues and currently tons of teams wants new venues. Like the Coyotes, Suns and even the Diamondbacks, there have been talks of the Coyotes and Suns to share an arena again or the Coyotes will move to ASU. Because the Sun Devils also want a new arena for there basketball and hockey teams. The stadium for the Dbacks is nearly 20 years old and needs some major renovation and the team wants to reduce the amount of seats in the stadium.

But the fans and MLS wants the stadium to be located near downtown, possibly on the old coliseum were the Suns use to play, current home of the state fair grounds (aka a major dump site) but could possibly bring that side of Phoenix back to life or if the Dbacks get a new ballpark, they could play were the old Chase Field is located. I guess, they don't want to use Cardinals stadium, located in the west valley since the east valley residence bitches about traveling about an hour drive. But of coarse they would be coming home late for a work night.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
There so many cities biding for the final 2 expansion slots, MLS has invited Phoenix into the expansion party.

MLS invites Phoenix group to make expansion application - ESPN FC

Bids are due at the end of this month. The two new cities MLS picks will start play in 2020.

Charlotte, Cincinnati, Detroit, Nashville, Raleigh/Durham, Sacramento, St. Louis, San Antonio, San Diego and Tampa/St. Petersburg are also bidding.

Last edited:
Reactions: semipenguin

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
San Diego had an empty stadium

So does San Antonio and St. Louis

But I like to see Phoenix become an MLS city, it would help fill in the west.

1000px-Major_League_Soccer_club_locations_2017.png

Reactions: semipenguin

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Phoenix Rising Football Club Officially Submits Expansion Application to Major League Soccer

image_large.png

Phoenix Rising FC’s proposed climate-controlled, soccer specific stadium will be the centerpiece of a larger soccer complex and mixed use development that will accommodate the Phoenix Rising FC soccer academy and community soccer events,and will include light rail access for fans throughout the Valley. The HOK designedstadium envisions ETFE pillows as a transparent roof material, a light-weight material that is about 1% the weight of an alternative/typical material. There is also the opportunity to include photovoltaic panels in the skin to extract and store energy to use for lighting, cooling, etc.

This chart shows a breakdown of the cities population and of coarse Phoenix is the largest of all the cities below without an team.

FinalGraph_large.png