MLB on Sirius Starting May 1st, 2009?

Harrow Dare

Apr 19, 2009
Destin FL
Last Thursday 04/16/2009, I called Sirius to inquire on the status of MLB play-by-play coverage on the "Best of XM" and when it can be expected to air on Sirius. After being placed on hold for approximately 22 minutes, the represenative returned with with great news...

PLAY-BY-PLAY LIVE COVERAGE OF MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL WILL BEGIN AIRING ON MAY 1st, 2009

He went on to say that the official announcement will not be released until about 1 week before live coverage begins. There will not be any additional charge for subscribers for MLB games.

I hope this is not bullshit and that they do what they say they will do!!! If so, this is GREAT NEWS !!!!

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
So, this is for best of XM?

I guess now I have to call to find out.

This would be huge IMO.

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
So, this is for best of XM?

I guess now I have to call to find out.

This would be huge IMO.

I hope it is true, my new Ford w/Best of XM is nearing the end of my 6 month deal. I will definitely keep the Best of XM if MLB is available.

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
After being placed on hold for approximately 22 minutes, the represenative returned with with great news...

PLAY-BY-PLAY LIVE COVERAGE OF MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL WILL BEGIN AIRING ON MAY 1st, 2009

He went on to say that the official announcement will not be released until about 1 week before live coverage begins. There will not be any additional charge for subscribers for MLB games.

I hope this is not bullshit and that they do what they say they will do!!! If so, this is GREAT NEWS !!!!

Welcome to DRC; that's quite a scoop for a first post here. Sorry, I suspect you're just stirring the pot. Happy to be proved wrong. Or actually unhappy, since I think SXM should neither mortgage itself to MLB, nor sacrifice the Sirius bandwidth. They should instead offer limited channel XM add-on subs to Sirius subscribers, re-marketing or recycling older XM receivers, for example, until the MiRGE becomes the norm.

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
I hope it occurs , but my question is are they going to create extra channels when the NHL , NBA , and College Sports conflict with MLB.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I usually find that CSRs generally are the last to know about anything real. They are also the 1st to tell you stuff you want to hear.

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
I think he might of not gotten a former AOL employee to tell him this , but who knows if it is official I think he should win a million dollars.

MichaelC

Oct 14, 2008
This doesn't quite make the smell test. #1, I can't believe it would be available as part of the basic $12.95 package; it would almost have to be part of "Best of XM." Secondly, let's say Sirius & MLB came to an agreement on Monday, do you think Sirius is going to let 3 or 4 days go by until they put out an official word? That's 3 or 4 days they're losing out on selling Best of XM packages. I don't think this is something they would hesitate to make people aware of.

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
I do agree with you Michael that this is something I am not too sure about because why the hell would they allow it to be on Sirius Everything ? I would think that if they came to a deal they would have extra channels on 198-207 incase college sports or any other sport that is on the BOXM is in confilct on 211-220.

joe2k4

Nov 12, 2008
Well for 2 or 3 months they wouldn't have anything conflicting, but yes they would have to address that come Aug for college football.

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
And in October for the NHL and NBA if they do provide both feeds for the playoffs just like the NBA does also in March and April for College Hoops the NHL and NBA.

MichaelC

Oct 14, 2008
I do agree with you Michael that this is something I am not too sure about because why the hell would they allow it to be on Sirius Everything ? I would think that if they came to a deal they would have extra channels on 198-207 incase college sports or any other sport that is on the BOXM is in confilct on 211-220.

Yes.....I just can't see MLB going from asking so much that Sirius can't even justify making it part of the "Best of XM" package, to suddenly lowering it so much that Sirius can make it part of "Sirius Everything".

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
Yes.....I just can't see MLB going from asking so much that Sirius can't even justify making it part of the "Best of XM" package, to suddenly lowering it so much that Sirius can make it part of "Sirius Everything".

Unless Mel or MLB did something that we didnt know I think this is a load of crap but you never know the CSRs might be right for the first time ever.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
People have posted "inside info" here before, but they're usually fired.

I guess we wait until May to see what happens.

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
I emailed them and they say that Sirius hasnt reached an agreement to carry MLB games yet so I think this is a lie but who the hell knows :idunno: