MLB Network available 1/1/09

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
looks like it goes live at 6pm est. comcast, time warner, cox and directv are just a few that will offer the channel. others can chime in when they find out what channel number their provider will be carrying this service.

directv will air the mlb network on channel 213

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
I hope Dish Network carries it as well. If not, I may have to threaten them (with cancelling and switching to DirecTV).

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think it will be the same as the NFL Network, will it? I mean, the MLB channel will mostly be people discussing what the Yankees are going to be doing, followed by Yankees highlights and post game quips by Derek Jeter, right?

By the way, their opening telecast will be a.....wait for it.....a classic old Yankees World Series game. I believe it will be the Don Larsen perfect game.

If they show all city games and give in depth highlights of EVERY team, then it would be something I would most certainly want. If not...bleh...I get all the Yankee highlights I can stomach from ESPN.

tsave31

Dec 16, 2008
Dish Network doesn't listen to its subscribers and will only do what it takes to save them money instead of offering a better service (and I say this, sadly, as a DN subscriber).

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
Well, they NBA TV and NFL Network...it just makes sense that they would also have MLB TV. Why is it so much easier for DirecTV to get and hold onto channels?

tsave31

Dec 16, 2008
It's because EchoStar is known for being financially tight-fisted with its programming. They won't shell out for premium programming. I don't know what tier the NFL Network starts on (I have AT250), but I know the NFL sued EchoStar (Dish Network) over it. And NBA TV is in the multi-sports package, so you have to pay for it if you want it.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Yeah, I remember hearing something about if a provider wanted to carry MLB TV they were required to carry MLB Extra Innings. In return, they get a minority stake of ownership in the channel. Dish Net, being typical cheap-skate Dish Net, didn't feel like this was a good idea and decided not to carry the channel.

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
For those of us who are stuck with DISH Network for a while, will MLB Network possibly be streamed from MLB.com, at least for MLB TV subscribers?

JYJr

Nov 9, 2008
Alexandria, VA
looks like it goes live at 6pm est. comcast, time warner, cox and directv are just a few that will offer the channel. others can chime in when they find out what channel number their provider will be carrying this service.

directv will air the mlb network on channel 213

I was at my parents place in Montgomery County MD and their Comcast Digital Cable already had the channel on. It was showing "preview" stuff as well as old MLB video pieces. The previews were hosted by MLB channel anchors Hazel Mae and Harold Reynolds. Looks like it should be a good channel.

Learjet35A

Oct 14, 2008
Burbank, CA

Thanks for the answer. On a 70" HDTV, when you watch HD vs non-HD it's a huge difference, it's night and day. So watching baseball and highlights on a non-HD station would not be something I would do. I looked on wikipedia and it says they're broadcasting in 720p which is better for broadcasting sports due to the quicker refresh rates. So to answer your question, IGAS.

Learjet35A

Oct 14, 2008
Burbank, CA
Dude, what's with your hostility toward me? I thought others might be curious to know the details and I did a little research and I thanked you for your initial answer. I have nothing against you and don't want to create shit with you.