Missing Songs and/or Artist on Slacker (Make A Request)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
This was an exchange between myself and Rome E over on the Slacker forum. I was totally unaware of this information and I figured many of you might not know about it either.

By requesting them and adding them to your station, you are in fact helping us out. This allows us to prioritize our requests to the Labels to get missing music. We are constantly getting music from the labels. They don't just send over 6million songs at once. They send them to us in batches as we get the rights, etc.

Sometimes we have to go back and ask them for specific artists when we do not get any music for that artist. When you request music, this lets us know which artists are more popular and we'll work to get those sooner than artists that have 0 requests.

Remember, these are requests that you are making...

Best regards,
Rome E
Slacker Support.

My response:

So when you go in and actually type in an artist name that is actually making a request that Slacker can track? Just trying to understand this because I would certainly like to be able to encourage folks to do this over on DRC.

I know my Southern Gospel and New Age artist I try them all the time to see if they've been added, so do this count as a request?

Yes, we keep track of all the requested songs. If we don't have them, then we will prioritize and try to track those down first.... (And I can see it now, you are going to start a Gospel movement... heh)

Thanks,
Rome E
Slacker Support

So the bottom line make sure you do a request for missing songs and/or artist to insure that they are getting the request. Apparently the more request the more apt these songs and/or artist will be added.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
The first glaring omission I can come up with is a country song by Steve Wariner, popular in the 90s called "It won't be over you"

I'm not too sure it isn't completely out of print, because it's not available on youtube or itunes either.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I am finally beginning to see the fruits of my labor on a few of these artist I've been requesting.

oncesir

Nov 12, 2008
I'm seeing the same DAB. About 2 months ago I began searching for a few bands to add to my hard rock channel. I kept searching and then "poof" they are there. Good stuff. I'll search everyday if it helps them track artists that arent in the library. Thanks for the advice.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
If the artist isn't there just type it in and this gets recorded according to RomeE as a request for that Artist.

However, I want to make it clear, don't just type in an artist name and look through the songs and assume that is all the songs available. I found that what shows up is only a segment of what is really in their library.

For example, I was looking for all the Country Gospel songs by Alan Jackson. If you just type his name, the list of songs, won't show a single gospel song. But if you type I'll Fly Away, Alan Jackson, then you'll get a screen that shows that song and if you click on it, then you'll get a yellow heart pop up and the song will now be listed. These songs do get played as well in regular rotation especially if they are favored.

So again, don't just type in the artist name and assume what is listed under songs is all that is available on Slacker.

Main Street, Bob Segar (Oh there it is, just another example)