Minority Programming

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
As a condition of the merger, SiriusXM agreed to minority channels (12 I think).

I wonder if these channels are yet to come? Or could they possible make the case that they have already fulfilled this obligation?

I see exisiting programming for women, black, gay, asian, french, latin, catholic....
Are Canadians minorities?

My guess: Second wave or merged channels. Merging similar talk channels, and freeing up space for this FCC mandated obligation.

jwt873

Oct 12, 2008
I'm guessing that Sirius XM is going to sit on this until someone files a complaint with the FCC :)

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
Yes, who exactly is the minority? Aliens? Dog radio? Do they honestly believe that they need to broadcast 24hrs of dog barking to cover all bases????

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
This makes me think that the XM talk that I like will be killed off so that we can have Minority channels.

Can OutQ, Shade 45, Soul Town count?

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
You have the Korean channel on SIRIUS. Then there is "The Power" on XM (which is African-American talk radio), so that's two I can think of off the top of my head.

I already think Sirius XM have met the FCC requirements for "minority content". They don't need any more minority programming.

Now, let's get rid of Backseat TV and get some more music in there!

xpenguin9

Nov 12, 2008
As a condition of the merger, SiriusXM agreed to minority channels (12 I think).

I wonder if these channels are yet to come? Or could they possible make the case that they have already fulfilled this obligation?

I see exisiting programming for women, black, gay, asian, french, latin, catholic....

My guess: Second wave or merged channels. Merging similar talk channels, and freeing up space for this FCC mandated obligation.

"are canadians minorities"... hahaha ROTFL!! =]

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Yes, who exactly is the minority? Aliens? Dog radio? Do they honestly believe that they need to broadcast 24hrs of dog barking to cover all bases????

Dawg Pound Radio? I didn't know the Browns were getting their own channel. :p

The Alien radio could be covered by Riley Martin. :p

Derek

Nov 10, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Don't women out number men 52%-48%? So men are a minority. Mel is a man and Mel owns everything. Therefore, all bandwith is minority owned.

Game. Set. Match.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

Sirius XM has NO say in these channels. The FCC has dropped the ball on it. They were supposed to have come back in October to Sirius XM with the particulars of the channels they will carry.

My guess is that Sirius XM would simply drop existing minority programs to free the bandwidth. They already have spanish stations, "The Power" on XM, NPR and other miniority or public interest stations. But until the FCC comes back with the station list, Sirius XM is not required to do anything.