Minor Ailments

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
So the arch of my left foot hurts if I press on it. Sometimes it hurts without pressing on it when I wake up. It's annoying. Not sure what it is but I'm pretty sure it means I have cancer or AIDS and I'm going to die any minute now.

Do you guys have any minor ailments? Lets talk about them.

MV5BMzk2N2IyZWMtNmIwNy00YTI4LTkxNTUtZGQ2MDljYmM4Nzg3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_CR0,45,480,270_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

Hopefully there will not be blood.

(I'm very proud of my Dan Lewis references...just wanted to acknowledge that.)

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Also, several weeks ago, I wanted a midnight snack and put a Frosted PopTart in the toaster and when I took it out, it slipped out of my fingers and landed on my stomach. The melted frosting left a big scar that is just finally healing now. Always wear a shirt when toasting Frosted Pop Tarts for a midnight snack
There are a bunch of collections of life lessons that include some variation on "don't fry bacon naked."

Don't tell me how to live my life.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Madison, I am going to share a handy helpful household hint: You can heat PopTarts for 15 seconds in a microwave oven and they will come out much more betterer and not as dry. Put them on a paper towel first and they will be easier to pick up.

poptart.jpg

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
Madison, I am going to share a handy helpful household hint: You can heat PopTarts for 15 seconds in a microwave oven and they will come out much more betterer and not as dry. Put them on a paper towel first and they will be easier to pick up.

Hey I will give that a try I certainly like Pop Tarts. Just make sure you wait a few seconds until the microwaves stop swirling around otherwise you could end up with a hairy hand

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I've had to deal with the heartbreak of psoriasis most of my adult life, and that's a story in itself (but not a very interesting one). So I'll just say that in the old days, the treatment options were poor, but nowadays there are more medications than varieties of Cheez-Its, thanks to the profit-mongers at big pharma.

About 2 years ago, my insurance provider decided that the effective medication I had been using for a dozen years was no longer "preferred", and I had to go onto something which seemed like it would be very similar (based on the insufferable ads for it). This was a few months before moving into the new house.

So after we move in, I'm very sore from hauling all the furniture and stuff. My wrists hurt, my ankles hurt, my feet hurt. The pain and stiffness persists, and it's particularly bad first thing in the morning. But we're still settling into the house, which involves moving heavy things. Then I notice that, weeks after I stop moving stuff, I'm still getting the same joint pain.

Turns out, I've developed psoriatic arthritis (which I had a high likelihood of getting), and the medication I had been on for all those years was treating it. But the new (supposedly similar) drug was not. So I saw a rheumatologist, and he confirmed that drugs which are advertised as working similarly, may or may not be effective for different people.

I was prescribed a different new medication, and after 3 more months of pain (following the 3 months it took to diagnose the issue), it started working just like the original one I had been on for years. So I'm good again.

BTW, all these drugs are obscenely expensive. But strangely, there's a thing called "co-pay assistance", wherein the drug company actually pays my entire copay/deductible, while the insurance company still credits the amount towards my out-of-pocket, because they (insurance) aren't paying. Eventually, I meet my deductible, and then insurance picks up 90-100%, which means the drug company gets their profit. What a great country.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
While I don't know this for a fact, I'm fairly certain that my whirlwind stint as a jazz tenor sax player has given me the olecranon bursitis I have, which is commonly referred to as - get this - Popeye's elbow. Fukk me!

On the day of the sax quartet performance, I was leaving work early, and changing into my band shirt and shorts. That's when I noticed my left elbow had a swollen ball on the end, which I figured was from a bug bite. A week later it's still there, and my doctor tells me it's bursitis, and it may take months to go away.

It doesn't hurt, it's just odd. Apparently, I was using my left elbow to support all the weight of the sax when I was playing seated. I did this for about 2 hours a day for a week. Now it's taken permanent residence, like Jeff-the-Drunk's lump. But I feel much better, now that I know its got a cool nickname like Popeye's elbow.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That seems odd. It doesn't seem like it was that much time spent saxing around.

Are you sure it wasn't there before, and you just hadn't noticed it?