Mini Netbooks (Feedback Requested)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I have several of my staff going into jails and/or prisons now doing substance abuse assessments. These are prisoners that are due for release within 60 to 30 days as before releasing them on parole they want them to have a treatment plan in place. Anyway... I am looking to buy some Mini Netbooks that we can install our assessment software on, they need to be light with a good display, a decent size hard drive and of course good battery life.

I've been looking, came across the

HP Mini Note: $449

Atom N270 / 1.6 GHz - RAM 1 GB - HDD 160 GB - GMA 950 - Gigabit Ethernet - WLAN : Bluetooth 2.0 EDR, 802.11 a/b/g/n (draft) - Win XP Home - 10.1" Widescreen LED TFT - camera - Smart Buy - Microsoft Office Ready (Brushed, Aluminim case and 92% full keyboard)

Acer Aspire One: $349

I also checked out the Lenovo and Asus, the Asus was nice too, but both fell short in the battery life department.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated. Right now I think I might just buy a couple of each and see which one does best in the field. But overall I think the HP with is brushed aluminum case and 3D hard drive protection will be more rugged.

I know few people that bought the Acer One and they love them. I have to admit I am an HP man, all our equipment at the office and mine at home is all HP! I've always had good service and results. In away I probably already have my answer, just wondering if any of you've had any experience with any of these.

I checked out the Acer today at Radio Shack, they offered me $20 off each one if I buy 4 of them with 50% of accessories. But there really aren't that many accessories for the Acer One. The HP has tons of accessories, but of course much more pricey.

When it comes to these netbooks is seems to be the most bang for the buck and clearly in this case that would be the Acer One. Professional Reviews give both of these very high marks with the HP coming out a tad on top because of the albuminim case and hard drive protection. But at $100 more. I could buy 4 Acers for what it will cost me for 3 HP's. LOL

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Asus claims its 6 cell 1000HE (which uses the Atom N280) runs for 5-7 hours on a charge. It's faster than those N270s. Amazon has it for $374.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Asus claims its 6 cell 1000HE (which uses the Atom N280) runs for 5-7 hours on a charge. It's faster than those N270s. Amazon has it for $374.

Unfortunately no stock for 2 to 4 weeks. I talked to my CDW rep today these are new and they have a 4 week ship date on them.

I got to have something before then. CDW Rep of course is recommending the HP Mini, but he probably makes more commission on those! LOL

Thanks for the info though, I like that ASUS and if it was available that would pretty much be a no brainer. I've always liked ASUS motherboards and CD/DVD drives.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well no one appears to be into Netbooks! :)

Radio Shack has made me a hell of deal on these Acer Ones, I am going to go with those. I never knew the managers at Radio Shack could negotiate a price, but I got them down to $329 (tax exempt of course) for these things with 50% off accessories. Pretty Sweet!

I read through tons of reviews and out of all the netbooks available it seems this little Acer One at its price point provides the most bang for the buck and of course the reviews are all 4 and 5 stars, from professionals as well as end users.

TOM C.

Oct 25, 2008
Charleston SC
waiting for delivery of new(to me) Nokia N810, not a phone, wifi, gps and blutooth. Looks like a good internet unit for those that don't need laptop.

Attachments

• n810.JPG
    n810.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 2

leth

Jan 4, 2009
Southern Ontario
DAB, have you looked at the netbooks offered by Dell, LG and Toshiba?

The Dell Imini has pretty good reviews, but only 8.9"

I looked at the LG X110 in store, and it seems to have the best keyboard layout. I haven't checked reviews yet.

I haven't looked at the Toshiba N270 yet either.

I'm anti-HP, but that's just me and my experiences :)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
waiting for delivery of new(to me) Nokia N810, not a phone, wifi, gps and blutooth. Looks like a good internet unit for those that don't need laptop.

That looks pretty cool Tom, though not feasible for what we will be using it for.

DAB, have you looked at the netbooks offered by Dell, LG and Toshiba?

I didn't even consider Dell and I feel about them how you feel about HP. I was looking specifically for at least a 10" display, so not all of them have jumped to that size yet. Netbooks sort of started at the 8.9" range.

Keyboard wise every review I've read give the HP the nod because of its 92% full keyboard. The HP is actually a business level computer were as all the others are just consumer machines. However, you pay for that!

I did end up going with the Acer Ones, which we took delivery of yesterday. I have to say we are most pleased with them. The keyboard I wish was a tad bit larger, but you can still touch type on it. The battery life is freaking encrediable as our test show we were able to get 7 hours of normal use. The LED displays are bright and crisp. These should meet our needs jut fine.

I did get my CDW rep to send me an HP Mini Note (which unlike you I love HP products) We switched contracts at our various offices from Dell to HP a couple of years ago and HP has more than met our expectations. The Dell's were slow, very proprietary and the overall long term cost were much higher than HP. HP gave us a lot of perks including giving our employees deep discounts on HP computers. Like this HP Mini Note, via our contact pricing I was able to save $100 off regular retail. Plus I always have 30 days to decide and if I don't like it, then I just sent it back. HP uses CDW as their contractor and they too have provided GREAT service.

It will be interesting to check out the difference between the HP and Acer. The Asus looks nice too. But I guess you have to start somewhere.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Follow-up

Just as a follow-up on this, I did eventually get the HP, but it was over priced and under powered. The keyboard was nice, though I didn't find it as good as the Samsung NC10 SE that I ended up with.

We returned the Acer's we purchased due to crappy build quality, especially the trackpad and the swivel mouse buttons under it. This thing was a nightmare to use and my staff told me we just don't want them they are junk.

I ended up getting a a few of Asus Eee PC's and the Samsung NC10 SE. I can tell you that both of these were very well liked by the staff. In my opinion Samsung NC10 are about the best netbook on the market today.

There are several new releases coming out by Samsung, Asus and Acer. I also see Lenovo and Dell has heated things up, but in my opinion over priced, under powered in terms of batteries. I am not paying $389 for netbook only to turn around and pay $100 for a bigger battery that seems to be the game that Dell and Lenovo, along with HP are playing.

It will be intresting to see how thie Netbook market unfolds in the next 6 months to a year. Try to buy one the cheapest you can that will meet your needs, because chances are you'll want to upgrade eventually. The next models seem to be going with a big bigger displays, bigger keyboards and of course faster processors. Can they keep the longer battery life and small size and light weight? We'll see!

One thing I do suggest is decide if a glossy screen will work for you, because Acer for example seem to have totally gone that route. Though Asus, Samsung and some of the others are offering both matte and some gloss models. I hate a glossy display with a passion, so for me a matte display is a must! Also check out the keyboard, because many of them tend to want to screw around with the placement of certain keys more specifically the right shift key. This is what I loved about the Samsung NC10 SE is that it offered a normal keyboard and for me being a touch typer having those keys in the correct location is important.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
The new Acer has a 11.6 screen which fits a fullsize keyboard. Probably the same build quality tho...

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The new Acer has a 11.6 screen which fits a fullsize keyboard. Probably the same build quality tho...

Yeah that is sort of what I am thinking! To build them and sell them so much cheaper than everyone else, you have to be cutting corners somewhere and clearly on the current 10.1" model it appears to be the track/mouse pad.

phillyphan

Oct 11, 2008
Philly area
Sorry I'm late on this, but we bought 2 of the Acer minibooks at Walmart in April for our two oldest children for their birthdays. They run great and they were a breeze to set up.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Since the time of the original post there have been several new netbooks released. I currently have one of the Samsung N120 with the almost full size keyboard. Totally love it! It sure works great on the go and since the battery life is over 7 hours, I never have to carry anything but the netbook itself which is is about 2.8 lbs. I am running Win 7 RC and could not be happier.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Ahh another poster that has never had a netbook! Tell you what I use the fire out of mine and it gets taken on trips with me where I would have never lugged my big notebook. I take it to more meetings and road trips where I can be much more productive.

Have your ever edited a Excel file on a smartphone? I woudln't even bother, but I have on my Netbook many times and I've worked on my intranet databases files and the list goes on.

So I hate to say it, but this post is total NONSENSE!

One has to consider a netbook as an add on companion not a replacement for a desktop or even full size notebook. But there are many that have opted to go Desktop/Netbook because it gives them the best of both words.

I use my cell phone to play around on, but not doing serious work! Nothing more fun that the iPhone for playing on the internet, doing some quick emails and checking the weather even some gaming or listening to so tunes, but I am not going to try to enter client data into an intranet database which no smartphone can connect too. My netbook does though! LOL