Micro SD for Stiletto 2

JoeProcopio

Feb 17, 2009
can it take a 16gb micro, or is 8 the largest?

BTW, longtime subscriber to Sirius, just got a Stiletto 2 since my S50 doesn't allow me to get best of XM (HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!!) anyways...guess the old soundstage site went down since Sirus XM merger, glad I found another forum!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Unofficially, yes. It will support it. Officially 8Gb is the max.

If you have a lot of files the unit will take some time to start. The more files, the longer the time.

JoeProcopio

Feb 17, 2009
thanks for the response. After a little more digging around, I found the Micro SD specs and went with an 8gb...i always rip my CDs as mono, which cuts the size of the file in half...196kbs mp3 comes out as 98kbs mono...still sounds great, and since I can't hear out of my right ear, I need everything to come through the left headphone...

never like stereo recordings much before the hearing loss (and no, it's not from listening to music too loud, lol)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
thanks for the response. After a little more digging around, I found the Micro SD specs and went with an 8gb...i always rip my CDs as mono, which cuts the size of the file in half...196kbs mp3 comes out as 98kbs mono...still sounds great, and since I can't hear out of my right ear, I need everything to come through the left headphone...

never like stereo recordings much before the hearing loss (and no, it's not from listening to music too loud, lol)

I have most of mine @ 128k. Some at 192. But there was somebody posting on SBS who RIPed all his @ 64k. Even though he had an 8Gb card, it took him 5 minutes to start his unit with the card from a full shutdown. The startup time is not a function of the card size but the number of files on a card. Natururally a bigger card tends to store more songs thus my caution. In your case, @ 98kps, you may have longer startups as you approach card capacity.

JoeProcopio

Feb 17, 2009
i don't plan on approaching capacity...i only load a few albums at a time, and then rotate as I choose to...but with that in mind, I'll probably start ripping at higher kbs, and keep the album list low...

JoeProcopio

Feb 17, 2009
i use the Stiletto 2 more for sat radio, which is why i bought it instead of going for an iPod...love the portable radio

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
huh...i didnt think it could take a 16 gig. just got an 8 and loaded it up today. it will be nice to carry around 1200 songs and all. still thinking about gettin that ipod though.

-jhdk

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
huh...i didnt think it could take a 16 gig. just got an 8 and loaded it up today. it will be nice to carry around 1200 songs and all. still thinking about gettin that ipod though.

-jhdk

I gave up on the SL2 as an MP3 player. I still have the songs which I could listen to while carrying the SL2. It took me a year, but I now have to admit (as much as I hate to) that DAB was right.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I gave up on the SL2 as an MP3 player. I still have the songs which I could listen to while carrying the SL2. It took me a year, but I now have to admit (as much as I hate to) that DAB was right.

are you a stern fan? if so what do you do for the show? ive thought about just trying to dl the show ans load it onto an ipod, but there are times when the show wont be up for a few days if at all. thats really the main thing holding me back. along with that, i spent some cash getting the sl2 all set up in my car which i do not look forward to doing again with an ipod.

-jhdk

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
are you a stern fan? if so what do you do for the show? ive thought about just trying to dl the show ans load it onto an ipod, but there are times when the show wont be up for a few days if at all. thats really the main thing holding me back. along with that, i spent some cash getting the sl2 all set up in my car which i do not look forward to doing again with an ipod.

-jhdk

No. But I like listening to shows I record overnight. I still use my SL2 for portable or pre-recorded radio but I don't use it as an MP3 player. Of course I make a decision in the morning which device I am taking with me. Its a shame really. It would have been so much easier to be able to have 1 device.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008

Agreed! This is how I'm keeping my S50 going. Just don't use it as a portable and treat it as a "TIVO".

S50 4 Life!