Memebag Buy A Wii U

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Amazon Instant Video became available. It looks much better than Netflix. The interface is pretty interesting. Both of these apps let you swap the video between the TV and gamepad.

Amazon's video still isn't as good as it is on my Blu-ray player, though. The CPU seems to really be struggling to play high def. Better than Netflix, but not good enough for me to use.

I can't imagine why the CPU is struggling. I understand this was an issue on the Wii, but the Wii U should be powerful enoguh to handle this. Hopefully this is addressed soon in an update.

Hmm, my PS3 has had no issues handling HD video for several years now.:jj:

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
That's why I say its sort of strange that it would have a hard time handling netflix. The Wii was underpowered and had a hard time streaming..the Wii U should have plenty of resources to handle this. And I love how all over the internet PS3 and Xbox fans are touting "Ha, nintendo finally caught up with last generation"... Honestly, I had a blast with my Wii, even if it was SD, not as powerful, and a 'gimmick'.... The Wii U May not compare to PS4 and xbox720 when it comes out, but I think the tablet and online services for Wii U will help keep it relevant, and since the next jump in graphics will not be such a factor, it will have a better chance this generation in competing among the die hards. The real battle this gen is in innovation. If Xbox and Ps4 can innovate and make new ways to play, then I will be happy. Nintendo is making sony and microsoft do more than just add new GPU's to their hardware.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
It will be interesting to see if Sony and/or Microsoft take the touch screen bait. They poo-pooed motion control for a long time, but released their own flavors as soon as they could. I'm sure they'd rather not be in that situation again, but the touch screen is a major investment they may not be willing to make.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Microsoft already has the whole surface glass thing or whatever in the works, and Im sure they'll interface a tablet like device with the nextbox, whether its windows 8 based or whatever. Sony will likely follow suit. Nintendo innovates, and the others follow.

And I am not simply being a nintendo fanboy when I say that, but I feel like Nintendo seems to be looking for ways other than just new graphics to sell a new console, and when that happens, it makes the other two companies do the same thing. Which is good for everyone.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I enjoy the motion controls on my Wii, but on my PS3 I don't see it being very usefull for the games I play. I've never used Playstion move. The last few games I played need a shitload of button combinations or wouldn't really benifit from motion control. The last few games I've beaten:
Final Fantasy 13
Dantes Inferno
NCAA13
Red Dead Redemption
LA Noir
Infamous
Infamous 2

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I picked my wiiu up tuesday. rented assasins creed 3 And blops 2. Enjoying black ops onkine, it plays great with wiimote in HD 60 FPS. miiverse is also addicting. Lots to do!

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
My son is 13, and has scoffed at the Wii U as a gimmicky piece of Hardware, I guess he thought he was too old for another Nintendo Product. We are a Nintendo Family BTW...anyways he did not know what he wanted for Christmas this year, until we went to NYC, and went to the Nintendo Store.

He got ahold of a Wii U and started playing it, and was captivated. So, we picked up the deluxe model about a week ago..

Question for the users: How long will the GamePad stay charged? I am reading online about 4-5 hours with a 2.5 hour recharge. Just wondering what your experience has been.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Question for the users: How long will the GamePad stay charged? I am reading online about 4-5 hours with a 2.5 hour recharge. Just wondering what your experience has been.

No idea. We've played a couple of hours at most. The rest of the time it sits in the charging cradle.

Congrats to you and Grüpsaar on your new toys.

I'm ready for the next Mario Kart now.

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
No idea. We've played a couple of hours at most. The rest of the time it sits in the charging cradle.

Congrats to you and Grüpsaar on your new toys.

I'm ready for the next Mario Kart now.

I can't wait until Christmas so he can unwrap it, and we can play with it. It does stink that one of the first things I am going to have to tell him is: "Hurry up and get that set-up, it is going to have to download a 1.5 hour patch!"

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I can't wait until Christmas so he can unwrap it, and we can play with it. It does stink that one of the first things I am going to have to tell him is: "Hurry up and get that set-up, it is going to have to download a 1.5 hour patch!"

It's more than that. Every game seems to have a 10 to 30 minute update. And it will be much worse on Christmas.

My advice: Open it now and get it ready.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
My son is 13, and has scoffed at the Wii U as a gimmicky piece of Hardware, I guess he thought he was too old for another Nintendo Product. We are a Nintendo Family BTW...anyways he did not know what he wanted for Christmas this year, until we went to NYC, and went to the Nintendo Store.

He got ahold of a Wii U and started playing it, and was captivated. So, we picked up the deluxe model about a week ago..

My nephew went the route of not wanting anything to do with a new Nintendo console. He's old enough now to were he wants to play FPS's with his friends. This kid used to love Mario but not now.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Can you play NES games on Wii U? I wanna play Super Mario Bros & Donkey Kong & Zelda :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk :)

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Can you play NES games on Wii U? I wanna play Super Mario Bros & Donkey Kong & Zelda :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk :)

Yes, it has games from NES, SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, N64, Sega Master System, Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, Turbo-Grafx-16 and Neo Geo.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
My nephew went the route of not wanting anything to do with a new Nintendo console. He's old enough now to were he wants to play FPS's with his friends. This kid used to love Mario but not now.

Wii U has FPS games.. black ops 2 Is out now and plays great. i'm sure others will follow suit. Battlefield is also coming. As far as other "mature" games... I've rented and played assasins creed 3, zombiU, and Madden. Also gotta try mass effect 3. Nintendo is not just Mario anymore.

Also, my day 1 Update only took an hour to download and install. game updates about 20-30 mins. not bad really.. I could do other stuff on the console while updates for games installed.

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA

Yea, you know the Big N has such a reputation as a "cute" console, which with a lot of their titles, it really is.

But, yes, you can get Black Ops, Assasins Creed, Zombie U, etc.