Memebag Buy A Wii U

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
A friend from work texted me tonight while I was driving home. He found out a Target way out west had some black Wii Us and wanted to know if he should drive out there and buy me one. I said that sounded good, so he did, and then he brought it to the office for me. It's downloading the day one patch right now. It came with Nintendoland, and I picked up the new Mario Bros on the way back from the office. It sounds like a fun thing to do after Thanksgiving dinner.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I have a black deluxe one on layaway at walmart...I'm the biggest nintendo fanboy among my friends, (although they are all kind of the same as me) but I was dead broke...I ended up going to wal-mart on launch night anyway, to check out what was going on..There was only one guy there ahead of me, waiting. I got there at 10:30 P.M. I used to work there on overnight shift, so I chatted it up with the other guys working that night, and he mentioned I needed a 'ticket' (just a piece of scrap paper with the number "2" written on it that said deluxe. They had 6 deluxe, and 3 basics. I put it on layaway since I had 50 bucks on me. Hopefully I'll pay it off next week, I am getting antsy..they web browser on it is supposed to be boss.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
So far it's been just a lot of downloads. 1.5 hours for the OS upgrade, and then everything I launch seems to need its own 10-15 minute upgrade. Feh.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I just compared the Netflix player to the one on my Blu-ray player. Blu-ray wins. The Wii U's Netflix app has rotten black levels, and the playback is jerky and blocky, like the CPU can't really keep up. I used "Serenity" as a test, since it's in 720p.

voliconjoe

Jan 11, 2011
I will get one for Amazon Prime and other TV features if they end up working well. I buy everything Nintendo but I have to slow down as the last 5 games I bought I never even opened. No time dammit.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I got this one for the new Mario Bros and (eventually) a new Mario Kart.

I'm transferring my Wii data to it right now. It shows a movie of these little flower guys carrying all of your files from the Wii to the Wii U in a rocket ship.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I got this one for the new Mario Bros and (eventually) a new Mario Kart.

I'm transferring my Wii data to it right now. It shows a movie of these little flower guys carrying all of your files from the Wii to the Wii U in a rocket ship.

A rocket ship? It must be fast!

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Sounds like Pikmin.

I thought the official netflix app on wii u was not supported yet. If it is, it might need to be ironed out yet. I heard youtube via the browser is fast and nice, from a few reviews I read. Not sure about the actual youtube app, though.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Sounds like Pikmin.

I thought the official netflix app on wii u was not supported yet. If it is, it might need to be ironed out yet. I heard youtube via the browser is fast and nice, from a few reviews I read. Not sure about the actual youtube app, though.

Let me fire it up and see. I have no idea why anyone wants a You Tube app. I guess to get Rick Roll'd on their console.

You Tube is still "coming soon".

The browser works well. It has an interesting feature: by default the browser is just on the game pad. You hit X to open and close curtains on the TV that reveal what's happening in the browser (and turn on the audio coming out of the console).

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I have too many screens. I read about corporations duking it out for control of the "second screen", which is the battle the Wii U GamePad is supposed to win, but I've had a 2nd screen for years. Before the iPad, I had a netbook with me on the couch at all times. With the Wii U, there's a 3rd screen, and that's just too many. I'm confusing myself with all of these controllers and screens.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
The TV remote is useless for a setup like mine. It can control a TV or a TV and a cable box, and that's it. It assumes everyone is listening through TV speakers. It provides channel control, volume control, a guide button and power buttons. Nothing else.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Here's something odd:

"Rules: Earn approximately 10% of the price paid at the Nintendo eShop for games and content. Earn approximately 10% of the Nintendo eShop MSRP on download codes purchased at retailers. Both games published by Nintendo and by other publishers are eligible for Points. Games and content purchased at the Wii Shop Channel or on Nintendo 3DS are not eligible for Points. Points are only earned on purchases over 10 cents and at 10 cent increments. Owners of the Wii U Basic Set do not qualify for Deluxe Digital Promotion "

If you buy the black one, you get 10% back on digital purchases, and just about every game is available in the online store.

The black one is the way to go. You get Nintendoland ($60), more memory and the gamepad charging cradle for $50 more.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
yup, I knew about this promotion. I agree, black is the deal. That way I can have NintendoLand and not worry about dropping 60 bucks on top of what I spent just to play something on it. And the rewards for eshop is good. I will probably get a game or two via the eshop (a full retail game) after a week or two, so that should be nice.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I know what you mean about having lots of screens. I've always had my netbook or laptop next to me when I'm using the TV, plus at any given time, I have my Phone, 3ds, etc near me too. The Wii U will be one more screen, BUT, I am hoping the browser is nice enough where I can eliminate using my phone or laptop for casual browsing while on the couch.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I wonder how many people skipped the update in order to find an exploit.

I'll definitely buy a Wii U if homebrew becomes a possibility (just as happened with the original Wii)

A tablet (gamepad) controlled media centre? Sign me up!

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
A tablet (gamepad) controlled media centre? Sign me up!

I've had tablet controllers for my media "centre" before. They sucked. A remote control with configurable buttons is the ideal solution. You shouldn't have to look at whatever you're using to watch TV.

I just reprogrammed my Logitech 880 to use the Wii U instead of the Wii.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Amazon Instant Video became available. It looks much better than Netflix. The interface is pretty interesting. Both of these apps let you swap the video between the TV and gamepad.

Amazon's video still isn't as good as it is on my Blu-ray player, though. The CPU seems to really be struggling to play high def. Better than Netflix, but not good enough for me to use.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I can't imagine why the CPU is struggling. I understand this was an issue on the Wii, but the Wii U should be powerful enoguh to handle this. Hopefully this is addressed soon in an update.