Memebag Buy A New Audio Video Receiver

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I've been using audio video receivers since the 1980s. Back then, VHS introduced stereo and Dolby Pro-Logic matrixed 4 channel sound. In the 1990s I bought a high end Onkyo THX AVR. I still use that to power the pool speakers, but it was all composite, component and S-Video. No HDMI. Eventually HDMI became mandatory.

Nine years ago I bought a much cheaper Onkyo AVR with 2 HDMI inputs. That was never enough. It was a decent device, but recently it started to do weird things to video. Like turn everything purple for a couple of hours, or just not output video at all. It turns out this is a fairly common problem with Onkyo AVRs, caused by bad capacitors on the HDMI board. Many of them failed within the first couple of years.

So I got the OK from Mrs. Bag to replace it. Sony and Denon are highly recommended right now. I looked at the latest Onkyo, but I think I'll take a break from Onkyo. Since I hate Sony with a deep and undying passion, I went with the Denon AVR-S920W. It does Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, but I doubt I will ever set those up. It has 8 HDMI inputs and is supposed to sound pretty good.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Soundbar w/ sub. It's decent for tv.
B&O Beo Sound for cds, satellite, and mp3's. It's better than decent for the size of our house.

A full component system would be cool, but like I said, a daunting venture.
I've been dumping my audio money into guitar toys lately.

Reactions: memebag

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I've been using audio video receivers since the 1980s. Back then, VHS introduced stereo and Dolby Pro-Logic matrixed 4 channel sound. In the 1990s I bought a high end Onkyo THX AVR. I still use that to power the pool speakers, but it was all composite, component and S-Video. No HDMI. Eventually HDMI became mandatory.

Nine years ago I bought a much cheaper Onkyo AVR with 2 HDMI inputs. That was never enough. It was a decent device, but recently it started to do weird things to video. Like turn everything purple for a couple of hours, or just not output video at all. It turns out this is a fairly common problem with Onkyo AVRs, caused by bad capacitors on the HDMI board. Many of them failed within the first couple of years.

So I got the OK from Mrs. Bag to replace it. Sony and Denon are highly recommended right now. I looked at the latest Onkyo, but I think I'll take a break from Onkyo. Since I hate Sony with a deep and undying passion, I went with the Denon AVR-S920W. It does Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, but I doubt I will ever set those up. It has 8 HDMI inputs and is supposed to sound pretty good.

That sounds good. My receiver is pre-HDMI, but thst just means I need another remote if I change inputs, which I never do anymore. The video goes directly into the TV, and the receiver only handles the audio.