Memebag Buy A Bicycle

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by memebag, Aug 2, 2016.

1. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

[​IMG]

Today I brought home my 4th bike, a 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 in Barbecue Red. This replaces my 2007 Trek Pilot that has always tried to kill me. I've only had time to ride it 10 miles so far, but it's a huge step up from my old road bike. It's a little lighter (under 19 lbs vs over 24 lbs), the gears shift every time you ask them to, the chain doesn't slip when you mash the pedals and the cables are inside instead of outside. It soaks up bumps that made me wince on my old bike. It's fast and wonderful and I love it so much.

Planetary Cycles, my bike shop, is giving me a free Guru Fit tomorrow.
  2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Where are the tassels for the handlebars?
    Will they show up with the Guru Fit?

Nice bike.
    blyons200 likes this.
  3. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

Nice. I was looking at a Cannondale hybrid a few years ago, as a lighter and better bike to do bike routes, than my clunky Schwinn mountain bike. I test rode the Cannondale, and decided I shouldn't be buying a bike that's in much better shape than me. So I still ride the Schwinn. My wife and I ride together, so whatever upgrade I get would be times-two.
    greenearth, JHDK and semipenguin like this.
  4. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

My Trek road bike was 7 years old when I bought it. It was pretty ragged out before I put 6,700 miles on it. Our team leader heard the sounds it made and told me I was risking my life. The needed replacement parts would have cost more than I paid for the bike, and it wasn't really the right size for me in the first place, so I started seriously looking at replacing it.

The old bike had Shimano Tiagra shifters that were broken inside and not serviceable. The new one has 10 year newer Shimano 105 shifters (the next level up from Tiagra). I could have spent $600 more for the next level up (Ultegra) but the differences between them don't justify that money. The 105s are robust and smooth, they just weigh a little more than the Ultegra. Like, less than a good Sunday morning dump.

Both bikes are aluminum. I decided carbon fiber was too fragile for someone as clumsy as me. I can afford one nice new bike, but not one every time I bang it into something.
    semipenguin likes this.
  5. scotchandcigar

Carbon fiber is a big step up in price, and probably not worth the return - unless the money's burning a hole in your pocket. It's funny how, during my year of researching bikes, I got introduced into the crazy world you speak of; with like 9 levels in the Shimano hierarchy, Shimano vs SRAM, seat posts, downtubes, aluminum vs CF. I think some people are more into the tech than cycling.
  6. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

You can buy CF bikes in the same price range as the CAAD12. In fact, most of the big manufacturers have abandoned aluminum entirely for road bikes. CAAD is like something from an alternate universe where aluminum development kept going.

The similarly priced CF is pretty low modulus, though, so it's heavier than the hi mod stuff. I tried a couple of CF frames priced around and a little above the CAAD12 and they weren't noticeably lighter, stiffer or smoother.
  7. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

De-dorked, actual pedals:

[​IMG]

The Guru Fit machine was throwing guru fits, so I just had a static fit. First real ride today and it feels perfect.
    semipenguin and scotchandcigar like this.
  8. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I'd kill myself if I had to use those pedals your shoes clip onto
    JHDK likes this.
  9. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Cup holders. Nice.
    memebag likes this.
  10. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Yup. At the end of my first ride with those pedals I was so excited about not falling over I forgot to unclip when I got home and fell into my recycling bin. I rode with them for a year, then went to flat pedals for a couple of years, now I'm trying them again. They improve my efficiency (as long as I remember to unclip when I stop ).

Not enough, though. I have to take 3 bottles with me these days. 2 with sugar water, one with salt water.
    JHDK, HecticArt and semipenguin like this.
  11. scotchandcigar

12. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Good way to go.
  13. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

The owner of Segway segwayed off a cliff & died
  14. scotchandcigar

Yeah, that was ironic.
    semipenguin likes this.
  15. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

so he fell off his bike and scraped his cheek. what a puss.

waaaaa!!!....i thought i was going to die.

go up in one of your hot air balloons and tell it to the clouds old man.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. scotchandcigar

Now I see why you like Trump.
    semipenguin and JHDK like this.
  17. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

ok i'm moving my bike talk over here as to put an end to hijacking the fantasy fatball thread.

this is a good call. i went to the boca performance bicycle and bought a bike! and it's not the fuji crosstown 2.3 that i was originally going there to get.

when i got to the store i noticed they sold used bikes. i found one that i liked and took the plunge. it's a GT Transeo 4.0. the previous owner added a handlebar extender to have them sit higher so it's nice since i am somewhat tall. new, it goes for $400 but used it was nice and cheap at $168. i got a lock and had to add a kickstand and a luggage rack so when it all added up i paid a total of $228.

we talked a lot about the seat. when i tested it out in the parking lot i didn't like the feel of the seat but the guy at the store told me it's a good idea to give it a month to see if i get used to the seat before buying a new one. seems reasonable enough so i look forward to seeing how it goes.

i'm very happy with this purchase. now i'm worried that the coil lock i got isn't enough so i think i will get a U lock as well for extra security.

time for a long bike ride tomorrow!

GT Transeo 4.0 Sport Hybrid Bike - 2016

this isn't my bike but it's the same make and model just w/o the handlebar extender and luggage rack.

[​IMG]

thanks for talking me out of getting a walmart bike meme! :D
  18. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Nice! Don't overdo it. Give your sit bones time to toughen up.
    HecticArt likes this.
  19. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

thanks.

that's a good call. i'm out of shape and have not exercised in a long while so i intend to take it slow and easy to start out.
  20. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

You'll need to work up some good taint calluses. You could try rubbing your gooch with sandpaper before bed to help accelerate the process.