Memebag build a PC

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It isn't much harder than Lego. Everything snaps together, and the internet tells you which Legos work with each other, and which Legos catch fire if you put them in backwards...

Are you posting to the DRC from it yet?
Tick Tock Tick Tock!

;)

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
It isn't much harder than Lego. Everything snaps together, and the internet tells you which Legos work with each other, and which Legos catch fire if you put them in backwards...

Very true. Only takes about an hour to put the hardware together. Everything is made to just snap right into place.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Are you posting to the DRC from it yet?
Tick Tock Tick Tock!

;)

Not yet. Last night I stripped and cleaned the case, then mounted everything but the power supply. I've still got to route the cables, and I want that to be pretty. There's a giant window on this case. I'll start that tonight, probably.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Not yet. Last night I stripped and cleaned the case, then mounted everything but the power supply. I've still got to route the cables, and I want that to be pretty. There's a giant window on this case. I'll start that tonight, probably.

Excellent. Have fun. I haven't done any of that stuff in years. It was kinda fun.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'm not liking how SATA cables look. They are thinner than IDE, but stiff and difficult to route. Right now it looks like blue fettuccine is exploding out of one end of my mobo.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Yup. I haven't built a PC from scratch since 1998 or so. Any suggestions for elegant SATA cable routing solutions?

I don't try to make them pretty, just functional. I usually bundle/zip tie all the cables to one side of the MOBO to keep them from blocking air flow. If you're interested, I can send you a single tweek that should put your processor up to 3.8 GHz. Shouldn't need cooling for that.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I don't try to make them pretty, just functional. I usually bundle/zip tie all the cables to one side of the MOBO to keep them from blocking air flow. If you're interested, I can send you a single tweek that should put your processor up to 3.8 GHz. Shouldn't need cooling for that.

Sure, send me the tweek. I'm wary, though. A 35% speed bump has to produce a bunch more heat.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
It's up!

It took a long damned time to install Win7, but now that it's on, it boots in about 10 seconds. The Windows Experience Index is good. Processor and RAM are 7.5, hard drive is 7.4 and both graphics are 6.0 (because I bought last year's model video card for cheap).

Total price: $1171. I may add one of those 60-in-1 card readers in the floppy slot.

I named it "Baphometron".

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
It's up!

It took a long damned time to install Win7, but now that it's on, it boots in about 10 seconds. The Windows Experience Index is good. Processor and RAM are 7.5, hard drive is 7.4 and both graphics are 6.0 (because I bought last year's model video card for cheap).

Total price: $1171. I may add one of those 60-in-1 card readers in the floppy slot.

I'm liking window 7.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'm getting sick of the see through borders. I'm on the verge of telling it to look like Windows 3.1, like I have with every other copy of Win7, Vista and XP.

iTunes is still a dog on this system. A faster dog, but still a dog.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I'm getting sick of the see through borders. I'm on the verge of telling it to look like Windows 3.1, like I have with every other copy of Win7, Vista and XP.

iTunes is still a dog on this system. A faster dog, but still a dog.

I never even realized there were see through borders!:idunno:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It's up!

Congrats!

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Here's proof of Bapho's prowess.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qmmOzb0HZU]YouTube - bapho_zoom-1.mkv[/ame]

This is an animation of a zoom into the Mandelbrot set. I wrote the software that produces it, and watching it light up both halves of all four cores was wicked cool. I didn't clock it, but it rendered in less than 10 minutes. My old PC would have taken hours.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
What MOBO did you go with again?? I'm thinking you can get to 3.8Ghz just by changing the multiplier, but I need to double check. I've done 3.8 with stock fans many times.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R. It comes with overclocking utilities. EasyTune6 will bump it to 3.36Ghz just by clicking the red button.

I just want to get everything stabilized before I break it. Intel just dropped the price on the 950 to $300, which was the price for the 930 when I ordered, so burning up this CPU might not be a bad idea. Don't tell Mrs. Bag I said that, though.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R. It comes with overclocking utilities. EasyTune6 will bump it to 3.36Ghz just by clicking the red button.

I just want to get everything stabilized before I break it. Intel just dropped the price on the 950 to $300, which was the price for the 930 when I ordered, so burning up this CPU might not be a bad idea. Don't tell Mrs. Bag I said that, though.

Those overclocking programs are horrible. Don't use them. And you're not going to "burn" your CPU. Computers shut down if they detect error. Let me see if just changing the multiplier will overclock you.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Those overclocking programs are horrible. Don't use them. And you're not going to "burn" your CPU. Computers shut down if they detect error. Let me see if just changing the multiplier will overclock you.

I can burn a CPU. I've done it. There are fail-safes in place to try to prevent damage, but they can't keep your from shortening the MTBF.

The EasyTune utility looks fine. It just sets the multipliers and voltages for base clock, memory and PCI-e. This BIOS can keep 8 configurations in CMOS, so there's an easy way to recover if it fails to boot.