Mel vs. Todd - NFL Draft 2009

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
This is from a few weeks ago, but still interesting...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyBSRYAQ2DY"]YouTube - Todd McShay vs. Mel Kiper: Debate Is Matthew Stafford Worth #1 Pick?[/ame]

What does your team need in this year's draft?

My Saints could use some help in the defensive backfield. :cool:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Who where the guys that over dubbed this video?...:shock:

I'm getting a headache...:worried:

:)

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
What does your team need in this year's draft?

My Saints could use some help in the defensive backfield. :cool:

Same goes for Houston. The front four is pretty solid with Mario Williams, Antonio Smith, Amobi Okoye, etc., but other than Demeco Ryans, the back seven was terrible last season. A healthy Dunta Robinson should help in '09, but Houston is in desperate need of OLB's, a cornerback, and safeties.

It would be nice to have Malcolm Jenkins still available at 15, but I doubt that happens. I expect the Texans to pick either Brian Cushing or Clay Matthews with their first pick. Then they might go safety in the second round. Picking up a big running back in a later round to go along with Steve Slaton would be nice too.

My other area-of-interest with the draft will be with Michael Crabtree. I just hope he doesn't go to a team that I don't like. Or to a team where he has very little chance at success...namely...the Oakland Raiders.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Defensive staff that can play the 3-4 defense, and a QB since we traded ours. I heard Mark Sanchez's name being mentioned, but they'd have to trade up to do that. Which is - knowing what a poker player Josh McDaniels is - a distinct possibility.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I love the NFL as much as anyone, but it's insane! Roger Goodell really needs to do something about these outrageous rookie contracts.

Matthew Stafford has agreed to a 6-year deal with Detroit for $72 million, with $41.7 million of that guaranteed. That's the new record for the most money ever guaranteed in an NFL contract...and Stafford hasn't even played a down yet. It surpasses Albert Haynesworth's $41 million guaranteed with Washington.

Think of the amount of pressure on this kid before he even gets to training camp. Good luck to Detroit...I hope he ends up earning that paycheck.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
That's too much money to spend on any rookie, much less a quarterback who's odds of succeeding in this league are slim. There aren't that many Peyton Manning's around. Even Tom Brady was a 6 or 7th Rounder.

I'm not against anyone making that kind of money if they've earned it. But $41 just for signing your name on a contract is a joke!

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
And we're off. The Rams take OL Jason Smith with the 2nd pick. I'm guessing this is the highest a Baylor player has ever been taken.

I read somewhere that New England is trying to trade up in hopes of drafting Michael Crabtree. I would LOVE it if that were to happen! Former Red Raiders Wes Welker and Crabtree in the same offense...with Tom Brady throwing them the ball!

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Al Davis is a fool. I know he likes speed in a receiver, which is why I expected him to go with Maclin over Crabtree. But Darrius Heyward-Bey?!?! If that's the guy you want, why not at least trade down? I don't get it...but it is Al Davis we're talking about!

I'm glad Crabtree will not be an Oakland Raider. That franchise is doomed as long as Al Davis is still alive. It'll be interesting to see how far Crabtree falls now. I'm still holding out hope that New England will trade up for him!

By the way, where does Keyshawn Johnson get off questioning Crabtree's "attitude"? Isn't this the guy who authored a book called Just Give Me The Damn Ball? Besides, to my knowledge, I don't think there are any questions surrounding Crabtree's "attitude".

HAHA! Erin Andrews just reported that, when Oakland made its pick, someone at Crabtree's table let out a sigh of relief.

Last edited:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Crabtree looks very pleased to be a 49er. I don't blame him... much better than playing for the Raiders.

I don't mind the 49ers. They don't really have anyone to throw him the ball, but like you said, much better than the Raiders.

builder_j

Dec 2, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Is it me or do the Chiefs have a pipeline to Baton Rouge?

2007: Dwayne Bowe
2008: Glenn Dorsey
2009: Tyson Jackson

All Chiefs 1st round draft picks...all out of LSU.

builder_j

Dec 2, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Al Davis is a fool. I know he likes speed in a receiver, which is why I expected him to go with Maclin over Crabtree. But Darrius Heyward-Bey?!?! If that's the guy you want, why not at least trade down? I don't get it...but it is Al Davis we're talking about!

I'm glad Crabtree will not be an Oakland Raider. That franchise is doomed as long as Al Davis is still alive. It'll be interesting to see how far Crabtree falls now. I'm still holding out hope that New England will trade up for him!

I'm glad they didn't take Maclin...I'd hate to have root against a Mizzou guy in Raider gear...

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
The 49ers need a good wide receiver. I just hope they have the coaching that will enable them to use him to his potential...:)

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Is it me or do the Chiefs have a pipeline to Baton Rouge?

2007: Dwayne Bowe
2008: Glenn Dorsey
2009: Tyson Jackson

All Chiefs 1st round draft picks...all out of LSU.
The Chiefs like those Bayou Bengals!

Saints take CB Malcolm Jenkins out of Ohio State... :bigthumbup:

builder_j

Dec 2, 2008
Kansas City, MO
With Ziggy Hood going to the Steelers, that makes two Missouri Tigers and seven Big 12 players taken in the first round. I'd say 7 was a good showing for the Big XII.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Both USC and Ohio St have 4 players taken so far...:shock:

Both schools are NFL making machines...:right:

:)

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
By the way, where does Keyshawn Johnson get off questioning Crabtree's "attitude"? Isn't this the guy who authored a book called Just Give Me The Damn Ball? Besides, to my knowledge, I don't think there are any questions surrounding Crabtree's "attitude".

Seems Mike Leach got a little upset with ESPN's portrayal of Crabtree yesterday too. Leach believes the whole thing got started by Browns coach Eric Mangini - 49ers Blog and Q&A: Mangini not welcome in Lubbock

"Michael Crabtree has been more successful as a receiver than that guy has a coach at this point," Leach said. " ... Part of the reason is he's (Crabtree) too shy to be like that."

"My definition of a diva is someone who's loud and self-absorbed. Michael Crabtree is the furthest thing from loud that I've seen."