Mega Millions now at half a billion dollars

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
The Mega Millions jackpot has soared to a record-breaking high.

Since weeks have passed since anyone matched all six winning numbers, the jackpot for Friday’s drawing now stands at nearly half a billion dollars.

“I would pay off all my bills, I would like a private plane and a car with a driver,†said Monica Stephenson, 46, from Harlem who bought a $2 ticket on a whim Wednesday morning.

“You know you’re not going to win but just playing you can have all these fantasies.â€

“I would show up at work and quit my job,†she added. “I like my bosses so I would be nice and give them notice.â€

On Tuesday night, 47 players across the country matched 5 out of 6 winning numbers, earning them $250,000 each before taxes.

But the $363 million jackpot went unclaimed and has rolled over to make Friday’s total prize money a staggering $476 million.

Mega Millions soars to half a billion - NY Daily News

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Insane.

I'd keep my job. Show up every day to do my work. Leave at 5:00 every day. Take no stress home with me. Drive everybody nuts.

For a while.....

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I'd take a year off, buy an RV, go on a MLB Ballpark tour, then hang in the Florida Keys for a while. After that I'd come back and pay my own way through Medical or Pharmacy School and invest what's left. I'm too young to quit working entirely.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
I'd probably quit work but I would go to work at a charity, soup kitchen, or food bank of some sort.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'd work until they fired me for insufferable smugness. Oh wait, I thnk I'm doing that now.

I'd travel. And buy new windows.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Barring my previous scenario, I'd probably take a few years off and learn a job that I'd actually want to do like be a musician, or do stand-up.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I'd work until they fired me for insufferable smugness. Oh wait, I thnk I'm doing that now.

We're slowly poisoning you. You'll gradually shrivel and weaken over a period of months.

I'll hire someone to clean your house after Koop cleans it......

Thanks. That was a really bad idea on my part.

Barring my previous scenario, I'd probably take a few years off and learn a job that I'd actually want to do like be a musician, or do stand-up.

You'd be Steve Martin.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I would pay off my debts. Buy a mini-van or SUV. Buy a house -- a mansion. And invest the rest.

Not sure if I would work or not.

Why are lottery winnings taxable in the USA? If that was a Canadian lottery, the winnings would be tax free.

And buy new windows.

Lets not turn this into a Microsoft vs. Apple thread.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I would pay off my debts. Buy a mini-van or SUV. Buy a house -- a mansion. And invest the rest.

Not sure if I would work or not.

Why are lottery winnings taxable in the USA? If that was a Canadian lottery, the winnings would be tax free.

Lets not turn this into a Microsoft vs. Apple thread.

Me? I'd do two chicks at once man. Yeah.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
My wife and I discuss this sometimes, we would:

Pay off all of the houses in our family.

Donate a chunk to our church, my lodge, and a couple of local charity's.

I would like to think we would still work, but, in reality, I don't think it would work. Just the smallest little annoyance or whatever, and you would quit, because, in the end, you don't need your job..

I imagine, I would spend a good deal of time at the local golf course...

:bigthumbup:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
No, when I really think about it, I don't think I would continue to work. Just buy some houses in various tropical ports and live like Jimmy Buffett or something. Even hitting 5 numbers (which I think is about $250,000) would solve a lot of my problems.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
It really must depend on personalities. I can't sit still for too long and hate vacations because I "can't" relax. I love my job and it would be very hard to quit. I hope/think I would in order to work in a position that helps people but I'm sure I would miss my current job and would do it at least part time.

2 hour line at a convenience store in CA due to NV residents flocking across the border. It's at $540 million now. I think there is a good chance it will hit $575 million by the drawing.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It really must depend on personalities. I can't sit still for too long and hate vacations because I "can't" relax. I love my job and it would be very hard to quit. I hope/think I would in order to work in a position that helps people but I'm sure I would miss my current job and would do it at least part time.

2 hour line at a convenience store in CA due to NV residents flocking across the border. It's at $540 million now. I think there is a good chance it will hit $575 million by the drawing.

I'd go nuts really quickly if I wasn't working. I could take a few months to adjust to the new situation. Make sure that enough is tucked away just in case. (You always hear of things going wrong for people that hit the jackpots.) But at some point I'd have to get back to work. The difference would be being able to pick the clients and projects that are truly interesting/exciting and being able to work without all the stress.

Then I'd find a couple of chicks that would double up on a dude like me, man.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Yeah, but if I did work, it'd be something I'd want to do.