Mark 'The Kid' Martin

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I bet you didn't know he's 50 years old? Seriously, I Googled the phrase 'the old man mark martin nascar' and got 5,680,000 results. Wow, I wonder how it feels to be Mark Martin and have so many references to you as being so old? :scratch: That's gotta suck when each on air interview you do starts with a reference to his old age. I bet he feels like reaching up and just smacking the interviewer with his cane every time that happens.

Did I mention that he's 50 years old? Oh.... nevermind!

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Interesting points, here's another Mark is 50! ;)
seriously though, you know the media, they find a story and stick with it. It's a lot easier than finding something new to report on.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I found it amusing yesterday while watching some NCAA Football and seeing the promo's for the race today. After the promo was shown, the booth announcer would comment about Mark's age. I think it's kinda silly that has to be mentioned with each breath about Mark Martin.

foyt

Oct 23, 2008
South of Terre Haute
I found it amusing yesterday while watching some NCAA Football and seeing the promo's for the race today. After the promo was shown, the booth announcer would comment about Mark's age. I think it's kinda silly that has to be mentioned with each breath about Mark Martin.

Oh yeah, and Montoya is Colombian too.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Mark's in better shape than most 40 yrd olds. I've never been bothered by age...my wife is older than me. I've ALWAYS preferred to be around persons older than myself.

Most of the media don't know enough about nascar anyway so they go with the "old man" story. But it's not just nascar that deals with it, all sports have it. You've got the Brett story with the Vikings, etc.

As long as a person can be competitive what does it matter? If you're an owner would you go with Mark or Mears?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Remember when everyone got pissed off then Mark went into semi-retirement while leading the point standings? :scratch:

Hopefully he won't do the same thing this year :)

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I don't remember everyone being upset about it but yes, I remember him leading the points and stepping out of the car. That decision to step out of the car was made and announced before the season started and not once he gained the point lead. Why his his retirement/non-retirement such a big deal with people?

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
i think its because they think they got had when they supported his salute to you tour. like i've said many times before, never once did the man say he was retiring, but scaling back.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
never once did the man say he was retiring, but scaling back.

Exactly correct. Besides that what the heck does it matter anyway? Who are the people that get upset about this? His fans? If Mark Martin was my driver and he changed his mind from running part time to coming back full time, I'd be thrilled as his fan. If I were a Mark Martin disliker and he changed his mind of running part time to coming back full time, I'd probably be pissed because he's now kicking my drivers butt. As a fan of the sport, I think it's great that he's still around and running well. I hate to see these guys outlast their talent. That's not the case with Mark Martin. Oh..... and did you know he's 50 years old?

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
The only one that should be mad is his wife. but he says he gets her permission every year to come back.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
Exactly correct. Besides that what the heck does it matter anyway? Who are the people that get upset about this? His fans? If Mark Martin was my driver and he changed his mind from running part time to coming back full time, I'd be thrilled as his fan. If I were a Mark Martin disliker and he changed his mind of running part time to coming back full time, I'd probably be pissed because he's now kicking my drivers butt. As a fan of the sport, I think it's great that he's still around and running well. I hate to see these guys outlast their talent. That's not the case with Mark Martin. Oh..... and did you know he's 50 years old?

I am not a Mark Martin fan and never have been, I actually didn't think much of the guy at all when he drove the #6 but when he stepped out of that #6 car and out of the hands of Jack Roush, I started seeing a side of Mark I really liked and I think he did too if I am being honest. I still am not a huge fan of his but I like him and am completely thrilled myself that he has come back, did I think he would come out this year with a new team and pull off what they have Never but I am so Happy that he has. Really not sure why people get in a knot over him..

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I do kind-of wish he hadn't colored his hair. Grey fit him. Now it looks odd. Like that stubble on Jimmie's face. It just doesn't work, brother.