Marijuana...

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
What is your opinion of it, experience(s), etc....

I thought about this thread because of my recent experience. Let me begin by saying that I have been smoking, daily, since I was 10 or 11. I was selected, by John Hopkins University, to take the SATs at age 12 so that I could be compared to seniors (I got an 880 at age 12). I am an Eagle Scout and I was also scouted by D1 schools to play soccer. I ended up going to a school for academics rather than soccer (I still played and we were 2nd in the nation for D2 my freshman year) and I graduated with two bachelors and a minor (while growing and smoking every day. If I was sober during a waking hour it was because I didn't get a chance to roll a blunt yet).

I give you this background so that I am not thrown into the typical [wrong] stereotype of a "stoner" and to show you that a "stoner" can still be a productive member of society. Also, I, in no way, contributed to criminals (other than myself) as I grew my own stuff.

Now to the story: I spent 3 hours trying to figure out a very small part (it ended up being 13 lines) of a program I am writing for a client. 3 f-ing hours when I knew the answer was quite easy. Well, finally when I had enough I decided to take a hit off my vape (SSV). Not more than 5 minutes later I had the answer, coded it, tested it, and sent an email to the client. I have no doubt that if I hadn't smoked I would still be struggling with this problem.

Being stoned also helps me post this thread as I wouldn't be this talkative if I wasn't stoned.

Now, put down that beer and pick up a joint!

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
One of the smartest guys I knew in college would smoke 24/7. He would sit there and smoke for a half hour before class and then get perfect scores on exams covering Quantum Mechanics and Statistical Thermodynamics. He ended up getting his PhD from Cornell and I believe is working at Stanford now.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Weed isn't my thing. I'm with Howard, that shit just makes me paranoid, especially going out in public. I usually just stay away from it. Unfortunately, I (used to) have an affinity for a couple of the harder drugs...getting high on marijuana ain't nothin' compared to that. But I have nothing against weed, I think it's pretty ridiculous that it's illegal. I just get upset when some of my friends claim they are "addicted" to it. No you're not!!! Which reminds me of one of my favorite movie scenes...from Half Baked

sorry, couldn't find the actual video, but I do present the audio:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCIGp1uJmBE]YouTube - rehab[/ame]

Wayne Edwards

Oct 13, 2008
I smoke weed regularly but only at night after work. If I were to smoke in the morning or afternoon, I'd be shot for the rest of the day when it comes to being productive at work or dealing with co-workers on a professional level. Marijuana is my martini but I find it just doesn't mix with business and have no desire to do it unless I'm ready to unwind when the business of the day is done.

On a side note I find it interesting that there is somewhat of a generation gap among people who smoke marijuana. Geezers like myself never roll a blunt, just an old fashioned joint does the trick, and most people who call it "pot" as opposed to (or in addition to) "weed" were probably smoking when Bob Marley was still very much alive and making music.

As for harder drugs, I used to do coke in the 80's when the general consensus was it was fairly safe and non-addictive. I still do it about once every couple of years but thankfully it is so awful now due to the massive amounts of crap it is cut with that it's just not as appealing as it used to be, which is just as well considering all the nasty consequenses it can bring.

Last edited:

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I don't smoke like crazy, and was never into it, but every now and again lately I do smoke some. Usually just in social situations or at parties. I don't get too crazy from it, but I do enjoy it from time to time. In general, I just get a bit more sociable, and easy going, which is normal, I suppose. But I agree, I couldnt do it a lot in a day, I'd be shot if I did it before night time.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I have no experience with Marijuana... oh wait, rock concerts. :right:

I'm a clean living guy. No cigarettes or drugs. I don't even like Beer! :shock:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I have experience with this not only as a user, but as someone that helps people get off of it. I remember when I was using it I would often think how my ability to work and think was enhanced. Truly this is nonsense and it is really just a means of rationalizing and justifying using it. There were times when we'd have these conversations while using and everyone would say. Man now this is some deep shit we are talking about. But to look back on it, it was really superficial bull shit with no true meaning. It is amazing how this drug will allow people to bull shit oneself.

I could line up person after person that has gotten off of it and all them would tell you that their lives have improved in better relationships, ability to maintain employment and/or improve job performance, their risk of legal issues and of course giant leaps in short and long term goals. These things I've seen with my own eyes and in my own experiences. Oh I know some will say this is bull shit, but generally it is those that use it or approve of its use.

The thing about marijuana is that many use it for years and years and continue to function and have no ability to see the impact.

I have no need or desire for it today. I see no point in it really and the question I always ask if if someone claims to not need it then why do they use it? It doesn't help me think it doesn't help me do my job, it doesn't help me be a better father or provider. But I can remember a time that I would bull shit myself into believing that.

Last edited:

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
I think people that use all the time, and think they can function normal, is probably because the altered conscience has become "normal" to that person. I've seen it with alcoholics, that are constantly buzzed, they seem to function normal when buzzed, but not when sober.

starmate

Oct 13, 2008
Frederick, MD.
From the time I was 17 till the age of 30, I was a daily smoker. I would take a couple hits before I left my house. I would puff on my bowl on the way to work in the morning. After lunch I would get away for 5 mins. And on the way home I would puff on a bowl. Never got me anywhere. It got to the point that I started neglecting my family only because subconsciously, I was not able to smoke a bowl around them if they were with me. Now, the last time I took a hit was at the beginning of summer and realized it just isn't for me anymore. The anxiety and paranoia that comes over me is not worth it. I don't know why I get anxiety and paranoia now but I didn't when I was a daily a smoker. Strange.

With that being said, I still became a project manager as I wanted, and that was around the time I stopped. I really didn't want to risk my future or my company truck if I was to get pulled over and there's a warm bowl in the armrest. Your lucky to have a job in the construction industry these days not high , let alone risking yourself unnecessarily.

J3ff

Oct 13, 2008
Aside from the brain damage you do to yourself smoking/drinking/etc..you seem to have no grip on the real problems it causes.

Also - you may be smart, but with that amount of smoking up - I still think you're stupid.

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
My experiences with pot (and various other substances) were so long ago I can't remember, but I will speak to the OP when he says the coding problem he was working on was "solved" by toking up. As a software engineer of some 20 years, I can tell you that the problem probably would have been solved just as easily if you took a walk around the block instead of puffing on pot. Having been mentored by some of the best and having mentored a few myself, the best coding advice I ever got or gave is "If you are stuck, you are too close. Walk away and it will come to you."

Now I couldn't care less if someone want to smoke pot or anything else, but please don't fool yourself into thinking it helps you code. I've seen code written by potheads, and it ain't pretty. ;)

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
DAB, I'm sorry but you post shows your ignorance on the topic. Just because you didn't see a benefit from it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist (wow, three negatives in that sentence).

I hope you don't drink because there is far less [beneficial] use for alcohol than there is MJ.

Oh, and, if you had to help somebody get off it then they are a very week-minded individual. MJ will not give you a phisical addiction; it is pure mental. You can liken it to an addiction of biting your fingernails.

Last edited:

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Pot screws with my dreams. Not my hopes and aspirations, but those super cool movies that play in my head at night. That's why I don't do it. I'd rather have super cool dreams than be high.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
As for harder drugs, I used to do coke in the 80's when the general consensus was it was fairly safe and non-addictive. I still do it about once every couple of years but thankfully it is so awful now due to the massive amounts of crap it is cut with that it's just not as appealing as it used to be, which is just as well considering all the nasty consequenses it can bring.

Cocaine...such an overrated drug. Used to do it on occasion, usually when I couldn't find what I was really looking for.

Heather

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
www.flickr.com
I've smoked with my sister and her boyfriend a few times over the summer while we were drinking. I had so much fun those nights, I didn't have to drink as much because of it which was nice. The night we went to see fireworks in July, we came home and jumped on the soaking wet trampoline and I bounced myself right the hell off it! Didn't feel a thing, just laid on the ground laughing my ass off, lol. I don't feel the need to have it but I like how it enhances my fun! :)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
DAB, I'm sorry but you post shows your ignorance on the topic. Just because you didn't see a benefit from it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist (wow, three negatives in that sentence).

I hope you don't drink because there is far less [beneficial] use for alcohol than there is MJ.

Oh, and, if you had to help somebody get off it then they are a very week-minded individual. MJ will not give you a phisical addiction; it is pure mental. You can liken it to an addiction of biting your fingernails.

My ignorance! Right and your addiction my friend is evident!

I've been in the susbstance abuse field for 18 years, plus used it reguarly for about 10 years of my life from my adolescence up in my 20's.

Sorry I don't buy it and your selling something that no one really needs to begin with. So good luck with that. You can't make one good argument that can convince me based on what I've seen in my 18 years of practice. You really need to quit bull shitting yourself.

By the way mental additions are very strong. I mean you admit in your first post, that basically there are things you can't do without it or at least you think you can do them better with it. There is too much science based evidence proving the impairment of marijuana on the user. Granted a mental addition is easier to overcome than a physical one, but the consequences are often them same. Do you know any users that are in jail now? Do you know any users that have lost jobs or couldn't get a job because of Marijuan use? Well there are consequences from it right there. But if you want to continue to believe otherwise then power to you.

By the way I agree that alcohol is one of the worse legalized drugs around! But that doesn't mean its okay to use marijuana because you see it as a lesser evil. I use to believe all that stuff you are saying. Today I know better!

Last edited:

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
DAB, you are making way too many assumptions and all of them are wrong. I won't even entertain you with a response to that post because you paint me as being something that I am not.

Honestly, I don't believe that I could think any less of you right now. If only the ignore feature worked on mods.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I am not painting you as anything Davis, you said I was ignorant of the topic and clearly I likely have a lot more experience not only using it, but helping folks that have found their lives turned upside down by using it. Now you can choose to call those people weak minded if that makes you feel better, but I see it differently.

I have made no assumptions whatsoever, I've used my own experience, judgement and 18 years working with folks that I see everyday that either come to be because they have had their children removed from their homes by social services or legal charges and facing jail time. It is only then that they slowly begin to realize the deadend that is marijuana.

I simply responded to what you wrote and if my assumptions were wrong then you have every right to correct them. But don't tell someone they are ignornant on a topic till you really know that persons experience, so if my response came off as painting you a certain way I apologize, but you made a huge assumption yourself. I don't want to ignore you because I might disagree with you on this one subject. By the way I don't think any less of you because you use marijuana. I love working in this field because at one time I too used substances and really thought they made me better, but they didn't. Now that my friend is no assumption that is the truth.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Well, addiction is addiction. We see physical most of the time. Psychological addiction is every bit as important. DAB sees that.

On the other hand, smoking pot/weed, isn't an issue for most people. Just like socially drinking isn't.

I like the effects of marijuana.. but I don't smoke it like I did when I was younger. In my late teens-early 20's, I could smoke a whole joint. Now though, I can take 3 hits off a bowl (1/2 tsp) and it's good for me.

I ONLY do it after 7 or 8PM.. when I'm home. Like what others have said, I'd never do it early in the day. Like booze, that would screw me up. (that's me, I know others like that).

This thread reminds me... I have to roll a joint for the B-52's concert on Nov 1st. lol I really HOPE my rolling skills are up to par! :Smiley_wink:

Oren