Mandatory Metallica coming back!

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
Greaaaat. Goodbye, Liquid Metal.
News Releases
SIRIUS XM Radio announced that legendary rock band Metallica will host their own music channel on SIRIUS XM. Mandatory Metallica will be broadcast on SIRIUS channel 27 and XM channel 42 and will debut on Saturday, March 14 starting at 6:00 pm ET and run through Monday, April 13 at 3:00 am ET. The launch of SIRIUS XM's Mandatory Metallica channel coincides with the band's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on April 4, 2009.

SpaceKitty

Nov 21, 2008
I'm sure this is to get attention to the fact their entire catalog will be made available via digital download for one price at the end of the month.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Mandatory Metallica? No surprise...

Putting it on liquid metal? Oh Myyyyyyyyy..... This is going to anger so many. This would be like putting E-street radio on Classic Rewind.

It might seem like the logical place to put it, but I don't agree with that. The people who are metal fans, are going to be losing their only channel. So Sirius is alienating the audience that would be most likely to be interested in a metallica channel. Bad move.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
This one-month promotion should be put on the 'rotating single artist channel'. Oh, wait, Sirius doesn't have this channel. One month of an artist on a rotating basis can't be too bad. They should restrict the 'channel takeover' promotions to a weekend. The R.E.M. weekend promotion was good, and long enough.

If they mix in some of the somewhat obscure (at least to Sirius) Euro-metal that was Metallica's influences (which they used to cover in concerts during the early days), it could be a bit more interesting. If they have to replace a channel with Metallica, wouldn't Boneyard be a better fit, since they already have Metallica as their most played artist.

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
I like them , but come on here this is bullshit . No wonder why this company is losing subscribers to Slacker.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Mandatory Metallica? No surprise...

Putting it on liquid metal? Oh Myyyyyyyyy..... This is going to anger so many. This would be like putting E-street radio on Classic Rewind.

It might seem like the logical place to put it, but I don't agree with that. The people who are metal fans, are going to be losing their only channel. So Sirius is alienating the audience that would be most likely to be interested in a metallica channel. Bad move.

Yes its so fair that a non-related genre gets their music butchered in order to have a sigle artist channel. Putting Led Zepplin on the Bridge was a stupid move. This way those who like that type of music will still get that type of music just all by the same artist.

That being said, I am fundametally opposed to any single artist channel. And if Liquid Metal was on my presets, I would remove it in protest.

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
They already have a sac for Metallica on AOL Radio so why the fuck on Sirius XM. I dont listen to liquid metal but come on put it on the internet during that period so those listeners can listen to it while it is away.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
As exciting as this channel sounds to a big Metallica fan, I'm a little wary since the way they handled the AC/DC channel left me kinda sick of them. Maybe it was the AC/DC album didn't live up to the old stuff...

I won't listen 24/7 but it will be cool to check out once in a while. They just better play everything.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Atleast their old stuff kicks ass and Death Magnetic follows suite. That new album rocks. I do hate when a channel gets used for only one band,buy hey it's Metallica.