Makin' Moody's Moonshine!

CanuckFan420

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Had to get the recipe for Moody's "Apple Pie Moonshine" after hearing so many people rave about it on the show.

Found out it calls for "Everclear"! I live in B.C. where you need a permit to buy grain alcohol and is only allowed for industrial and medical uses.

Washington state just South doesn't sell it either.

That's why I'll be driving 500 miles to Portland AND back on the Easter long weekend to pick-up 2 big bottles of 190-proof "Everclear" corn whisky.

Upon my return I will whip up a batch o the 'shine.

I thought I'd try it the first time during a race in honour of Moody, but I fear I might see the first 10 laps and then just pass out piss drunk and with my luck, probably miss Junior winning the race.

Godfather, look what you've started!

foyt

Oct 23, 2008
South of Terre Haute
I made up my third batch this past weekend. The previous two, we did not strain, just poured it into containers. This time I strained thru coffee filters which was very tedious, but will be worth it in the long run. Anyhow, this is the best tasting batch yet, I think I put a couple extra cinnamon sticks in it.

It will get better over time, so don't drink it all the first day!

:crazy:

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
Is it really moonshine if you're adding in the booze? Sounds more like a mixed drink or cocktail.

Does putting a lemon wedge on a Corona make it a homebrew?

Roadtrips to Oregon for Everclear - brings back college memories...

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
Probably not to some of my relatives in SW Virginia and NE Tennessee, but hey this is easier to make than the real stuff. Plus this is legal.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Does anyone know where it can be found out what states sell Everclear? I know that PA is not one of them. I looked on their website and I'm unable to find out what states it is available.

Andrew8468

Plans on freezing in the dark
Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
Does anyone know where it can be found out what states sell Everclear? I know that PA is not one of them. I looked on their website and I'm unable to find out what states it is available.

I bet Junior Johnson's Midnight Moon would work as a substitute

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Midnight Moon is 'way down' on alcohol content compared to Everclear. However, I have also been looking for Midnight Moon. It is a special order in PA and is only available by the case. I am not that much of an alcoholic, yet.

foyt

Oct 23, 2008
South of Terre Haute

Indiana sells it, but where I shop at least, it is behind the counter and you have to ask for it. I've given the recipe to the girls at the store.

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
Where I buy alcohol at in Indiana Everclear is right out on the floor, both the big and small bottles

CanuckFan420

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Where to find Everclear

If you're trying to find Everclear, the first thing you need to do is decide whether you want the 153-proof (75.5% alcohol) or the 190-proof (95% alcohol) that I'm trekking down to Oregon for.

The 75% stuff is obviously easier to find and more states carry it. The 95% motherload is way harder. I started by just searching the Internet and found a few lists of states that carried it that people had created. From there I started searching the states nearest to me (WA, OR, ID, MN). Washington stopped carrying it. Idaho, nope. Montana, yes but too far. Nevada used to have it but then stopped selling the 95% as few years ago. Oregon had it!

I went to the specific state's liquor control board website and most allow you to search their entire list of available product. I've even been in contact via email with someone at the control board who verified they carry it and the closest liquor store that has it when I enter the state from WA. However it was suggested I call ahead to ensure they have it. Again I was told that it's behind the counter or in the back.

In Canada, the only province that stocks it is Alberta (can't wait for my Aunt & Uncle to come visit!). Where I live, BC, you have to have a special permit to buy 190-proof and it may only be used industrially and for medical purpose.

Hope that helps. Pretty easy to find actually as long as you have a state nearby that allows it.

CanuckFan420

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I made up my third batch this past weekend. The previous two, we did not strain, just poured it into containers. This time I strained thru coffee filters which was very tedious, but will be worth it in the long run. Anyhow, this is the best tasting batch yet, I think I put a couple extra cinnamon sticks in it.

It will get better over time, so don't drink it all the first day!

:crazy:

Since you've had experience, how long does a batch keep before "going bad"?

Also, how f'ed up does it get you? haha

CanuckFan420

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Is it really moonshine if you're adding in the booze? Sounds more like a mixed drink or cocktail.

Does putting a lemon wedge on a Corona make it a homebrew?

Roadtrips to Oregon for Everclear - brings back college memories...

Ok so it's not OFFICIALLY moonshine, it's just a name. But then again, what's in a name?

PLUS, it's not like I've got a still sitting in the backyard so I can make my own which probably wouldn't be that good anyway.

I'd LOVE to try some guy's 'shine from his backyard in Tennessee, but I don't exactly get out there that often.

foyt

Oct 23, 2008
South of Terre Haute
Since you've had experience, how long does a batch keep before "going bad"?

Also, how f'ed up does it get you? haha

We had some made around Christmas time and finished it off about three weeks ago, so 2 - 3 months was fine, and we didn't refrigerate it, just kept in the pantry.

Second, it just depends on how much you drink! A highball glass over ice is plenty refreshing, but doesn't give me a buzz. Be careful if you're prone to headaches, because it has given me some pretty strong ones, even without getting stone drunk.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I asked at one of PA's State Store's yesterday about Everclear. It is not available in our state without a liquor license. I was told that the closest state to PA that it was available is WV. I don't know if that is the case though.

Easy Money

Oct 25, 2008
MS
www.myspace.com
We had some made around Christmas time and finished it off about three weeks ago, so 2 - 3 months was fine, and we didn't refrigerate it, just kept in the pantry.

Second, it just depends on how much you drink! A highball glass over ice is plenty refreshing, but doesn't give me a buzz. Be careful if you're prone to headaches, because it has given me some pretty strong ones, even without getting stone drunk.

IM OUT!!!!! To hell with a hangover, I'll stick with supporting McMurray's sponsor mixed with the Coca-Cola racing family's product. Get as F'ed up as you want and no hangover. Just wake up, lay still for a few minutes and your good to go!!!:buttrock:

antsie

Oct 20, 2008
Can't remember
LOL EM........your a piece of work!!!! :p

I'll agree with you (I must be crazy!!!) I'd rather buy it already made, just add ice!!!! :Smiley_wink: