Mad Dog Report

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
After a month on satellite I can safely say that his addition to the channels has been the best terrestrial hiring since Howard. There are problems with his phones a lot of the times and the rest of the hours of his station are pretty hit and miss affairs and the sound quality ain't the best, but overall I think his show is great. I only wish I could hear it more than I do.

Just wondering about what some of the sports guys think of his show.

Fergz99

Oct 14, 2008
What time is the show on and do they have replays ? I always liked Mike and the Mad Dog, not sure about Chris on his own, but I would like to give it a listen.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I haven't listened late at night, but I believe they repeat his show through the late, late hours. As it is, though I was off this last week, I normally only get to listen to about an hour and a half of his show. I have officially gone overboard on my listening trends.

I'll tune in a bit less once baseball is over, but I love the guy...you should check him out, he's got a lot of enthusiasm for sports.

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
I listened to Mike/Mad Dog on WFAN/NY for most of their years together but now when I flip back and forth between their solo shows in the afternoon I almost always choose Mad Dog. He sounds like he's having fun, has decent guests, and his old man is pretty funny too.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
After a month on satellite I can safely say that his addition to the channels has been the best terrestrial hiring since Howard.

I completely agree. Like I said over at SBS, I'm now almost 100% confident that I'd stick with Sirius if Howard does end up leaving in a couple years. Before Russo was hired, I wasn't so sure.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I like the show as I record it on occassion. Is it me or am I just guessing that he favors baseball over football?

(If so, that is a good thing :bigthumbup:)

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Russo just had on former Astro manager Phil Garner to talk about the Rays' collapse last night as compared to that NLCS Game 5 from 2005 (the Pujols HR off of Lidge). I thought it was a really good "spot" (as Russo says)...maybe I'm a little biased being an Astro fan. But it was nice to relive that '05 World Series run. Couldn't help but laugh though when Chris kept calling Roy Oswalt, "Oswald".

Last edited:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Is it me or am I just guessing that he favors baseball over football?

Yeah, we discussed this a lot over at SBS. It's pretty obvious that baseball is Russo's favorite sport. Baseball talk has dominated the show so far, which has been great. You really can't blame him either, he started at Sirius/XM right at the end of the MLB season when all the races were coming down to the end, and now the playoffs are going on. My guess is, when the World Series is over, he'll really get into the NFL as the main point of conversation, with college football sprinkled in as well. Hopefully he'll talk some NBA and college basketball as well. I can do without hockey.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Russo just had on former Astro manager Phil Garner to talk about the Rays' collapse last night as compared to that NLCS Game 5 from 2005 (the Pujols HR off of Lidge). I thought it was a really good "spot" (as Russo says)...maybe I'm a little biased being an Astro fan. But it was nice to relive that '05 World Series run. Couldn't help but laugh though when Chris kept calling Roy Oswalt, "Oswald".

'05, it reminded me of the '02 World Series. I'm surprised Chris didn't pull that one out as well.

You'll have to forgive Chris when he mispronounces some words. He still can't say Cornuba Wax or Chamois. But the thing is, subconsciously or not, whenever someone from outside of Texas does the Texas math with Oswalt's name, you can kind of understand when there's an Oswald slip up...it's not as if he's the only person to make that mistake, I'm sure he hasn't acted alone, there must be others.
:eek:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
'05, it reminded me of the '02 World Series. I'm surprised Chris didn't pull that one out as well.

He talked to Garner about being that close to the World Series (in the Astros case, 1 out) and having to watch it slip away, and how the team ultimately rebounded in Game 6 (something the Rays will also try to do). The two situations, this year's ALCS and '05's NLCS, are very similar. Russo was just trying to get inside Maddon's head and the Tampa clubhouse through Garner's experience. Interesting interview, I thought. Garner also said he thinks Tampa will win, but he's probably a little biased having previously worked with Gerry Hunsicker (GM) and Jim Hickey (pitching coach) in Houston.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
But the thing is, subconsciously or not, whenever someone from outside of Texas does the Texas math with Oswalt's name, you can kind of understand when there's an Oswald slip up...it's not as if he's the only person to make that mistake, I'm sure he hasn't acted alone, there must be others.
:eek:

Sounds like some crazy conspiracy theory to me

edgarb

Oct 19, 2008
I had never heard of Russo before he came to Sirius (i'm from Alabama) but I listen to his show religiously for the baseball talk. I'm interested to see what he does once the MLB season is over...I hope he does some CFB...and he has so far, so that should be great...

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
There's a program on Sirius 123 right now (noon central time) called "SportsWatch", hosted by Bruce Murray and Rich Ackerman (never heard of him). I usually don't get to listen to the satellite during the day, so I'm wondering if anyone knows how long this show has been on? Is it a permanent thing?

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
There's a program on Sirius 123 right now (noon central time) called "SportsWatch", hosted by Bruce Murray and Rich Ackerman (never heard of him). I usually don't get to listen to the satellite during the day, so I'm wondering if anyone knows how long this show has been on? Is it a permanent thing?

Ackerman used to be (maybe still is?) an update guy on WFAN...on the YES Network simulcast he was the guy who'd pop in the studio every 20 minutes wearing garanimals-type shirts

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Ackerman used to be (maybe still is?) an update guy on WFAN...on the YES Network simulcast he was the guy who'd pop in the studio every 20 minutes wearing garanimals-type shirts

Okay, interesting. Yeah, I've never heard him on Sirius before.

So do you know anything about that SportsWatch program that was on prior to Mad Dog today? I wonder if that is a permanent thing? Sounded good to me, I've liked Bruce Murray for a while now going back to the now defunct Mike & Murray show. They had on Larry Bowa...it was a decent interview.

Mad Dog's voice is shattered today, I don't know how he's gonna get through 5 hours.

Oct 20, 2008
Cobblestone Grave
sports090.jpg

2662464579_8dcf578d87.jpg

Do we miss "Tank" yet? Do we miss his BFFisms with Parcells? Do we miss his 100 diet cokes in an hour? Do we miss Al from White Plains, or Jerome form the Bronx? Do we miss his "little birdy" crap?

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
sports090.jpg

2662464579_8dcf578d87.jpg

Do we miss "Tank" yet? Do we miss his BFFisms with Parcells? Do we miss his 100 diet cokes in an hour? Do we miss Al from White Plains, or Jerome form the Bronx? Do we miss his "little birdy" crap?

Only one thing for certain, he's not missing his meals.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Still loving Russo and his show. He's now 1.5 months on the job at Sirius/XM. I was a little worried about the content or lack thereof once the baseball season was over, but he's put any worries I had to rest. I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of NBA talk so far...he had Greg Anthony on Monday's show to discuss the Iverson trade and they had about a 30 minute conversation it seemed. He even had on Freddy Couples yesterday to talk a little PGA Tour. There's still a cringe factor for me when he gets into college football...clearly not his expertise. Right after he admits to not watching one snap of Texas Tech football this season, he boldly declares they have zero chance of beating Oklahoma later in the season. It's tough to swallow that this guy has a Heisman vote. Oh well. But like I said at the beginning....Russo is still bringing a top-notch sports talk show. And with it now on the Internet stream, I can listen to almost the complete 5 hours every day. Good job, Russo. :bigthumbup: