Mad Dog Radio is imploding live on the air

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I missed the show yesterday but I guess Mad Dog ripped his whole staff to shreds LIVE on the air and said how untalented they are for most of his show.

So today, on the B-Team, the show that comes on BEFORE the Mad Dog show, all they did was rip on MAD DOG and say how boring he was and how he was too old. Also, I guess Mad Dog fired Steve Torre.

Now, Mad Dog is BACK on and he has HIS BOSS on and his boss is ripping him a new asshole telling him he has screwed up big time and all of this is his fault.

This is compelling radio!!!!!!!!!!

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
There was already a Mad Dog thread started but okay. Here's my post from that thread from earlier this morning -

Anyone been listening to the channel over the past day or so? It's been pretty interesting, to say the least.

Yesterday, Mad Dog began his show by going on a rant about his staff and how inept they are at radio, going so far as to call them all "horse shit" and that he wants to fire everyone. It was the dominant point of conversation yesterday on Russo's show, and it hasn't stopped. Gresh went off on it last night and Bruce Murray is discussing it now.

I'm not sure how much of it is real, and how much of it is just for the listener's benefit, but it has been some very good radio. Makes me forget Howard is on vacation.

Edit: I didn't realize this until now, but Russo actually fired his program director Steve Torre at the end of his show yesterday. I don't know, a lot of this seems to be put on...schtick. I could be wrong. At any rate, today's Mad Dog Unleashed should be good.

It's pretty crazy. But again, I can't help but think at least some of this is being faked.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
There was already a Mad Dog thread started but okay. Here's my post from that thread from earlier this morning -

Anyone been listening to the channel over the past day or so? It's been pretty interesting, to say the least.

Yesterday, Mad Dog began his show by going on a rant about his staff and how inept they are at radio, going so far as to call them all "horse shit" and that he wants to fire everyone. It was the dominant point of conversation yesterday on Russo's show, and it hasn't stopped. Gresh went off on it last night and Bruce Murray is discussing it now.

I'm not sure how much of it is real, and how much of it is just for the listeners' benefit, but it has been some very good radio. Makes me forget Howard is on vacation.

Edit: I didn't realize this until now, but Russo actually fired his program director Steve Torre at the end of his show yesterday. I don't know, a lot of this seems to be put on...schtick. I could be wrong. At any rate, today's Mad Dog Unleashed should be good.

It's pretty crazy. But again, I can't help but think at least some of this is being faked.

Ohh, sorry abou that. I did not check and only read the first few posts of the mad dogg thread before posting. Feel free to have them merged.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Ohh, sorry abou that. I did not check and only read the first few posts of the mad dogg thread before posting. Feel free to have them merged.

No it's cool...shit happens.

What do you think? Is this stuff legitimate? Genuine? Or do you think some of it is acting?

JDP

Oct 15, 2008
No it's cool...shit happens.

What do you think? Is this stuff legitimate? Genuine? Or do you think some of it is acting?

I listened on my way home from work yesterday and my initial thought was that it was mostly an act. They probably got stats that show that no one is listening and are trying to drum up interest. They probably decided to fire Torre and then came up with this Schtick.

I tune into the station once in a while and everytime I do they seem to be talking about the wrong thing at the wrong time. (ie, there's a breaking baseball story and the host is talking hockey). I don't know if the station is going to work.

Red Wing Fans don't care about Dodger Baseball.
Celtics Fans don't care about Tampa Bay Bucs Football.

Sports is very regional and while you can have a one sport station that talks that one sport all the time on a National level, I don't see where you can have a generic sports talk national station that generates any real and lasting interest.

Mad Dog is probably clutching at straws at this point.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
JDP, you make some good points.

Also, I think it's pretty silly that Russo is getting on his co-workers for not being very knowledgable, when he knows next-to-nothing outside of baseball and tennis. He can't talk college football to save his life (no Chris, Oklahoma State is not in the Big XII North). He has to labor through NFL discussions, especially if it's anyone but the Jets or Giants. It was painful listening to him try and break down the NBA Playoffs. Hell, there's a pretty big 3-team NBA trade about to happen today and not even a mention of it from Russo today.

If he's going to do this for 5 hours again today...well it's already getting very old.

I like Mad Dog for what he is, and I think he's great during late August and September when the baseball playoff race heats up. But...if you want REAL insight and an all-encompassing knowledge of sports, well you can easily do better than Mad Dog. Charlie Pallilo in the Houston area is the best sports radio talk show host I know of, bar none. If Chris is really serious about getting talented hosts, he'd give Charlie a call. I'd rather him not though, because I like Charlie right where he's at, here in Houston.

Last edited:

FastEddie

Jul 10, 2009
The Dog is a genius. He knows Howard is off this week, and so is Mike Francesa. It's his turn to make a move and he's stirring the pot. Well done you tennis loving maniac.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Everyone has their biases. I love Chris because he was stationed in New York and he hated the Yankees. It was a great dynamic to have Francessa licking Steinbrenner's ass while Chris tore him an a-hole.

I also listen to the Baseball Today Podcast each day. Peter Karabell is horrible. He's a Phillies fan to the point of it being ridiculous. I don't mind hearing about each team, but everything seems to revolve around Philadelphia. He thinks that he's varied in his knowledge, but upon closer inspection you can clearly see that he is not.

For a good laugh you could listen to his podcasts from April and May and see just how off he is on more than half off his takes.

The point is...it's tough to be a coast to coast guy. The market for people that are totally interested in anything other than their own market is limited. In fact it is limited as much as it is limited to the amount of people that can actually engage in that conversation.

I only have a cursory knowledge of a lot of teams, especially those in the junior circuit. I do however love to hear about baseball in general. I even enjoy Minor League talk...up to a point.

Chris is an entertainer. I love him because he's a national guy that happens to love the San Francisco Giants. A rare breed indeed. His takes on the team are very good, though I am suspect of his takes on almost every thing else...

He entertains me...at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

gilpdawg

Oct 12, 2008
New Paris, OH
I listened on my way home from work yesterday and my initial thought was that it was mostly an act. They probably got stats that show that no one is listening and are trying to drum up interest. They probably decided to fire Torre and then came up with this Schtick.

I tune into the station once in a while and everytime I do they seem to be talking about the wrong thing at the wrong time. (ie, there's a breaking baseball story and the host is talking hockey). I don't know if the station is going to work.

Red Wing Fans don't care about Dodger Baseball.
Celtics Fans don't care about Tampa Bay Bucs Football.

Sports is very regional and while you can have a one sport station that talks that one sport all the time on a National level, I don't see where you can have a generic sports talk national station that generates any real and lasting interest.

Mad Dog is probably clutching at straws at this point.
Except for ESPN Radio, you mean?

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Chris is an entertainer. I love him because he's a national guy that happens to love the San Francisco Giants. A rare breed indeed. His takes on the team are very good, though I am suspect of his takes on almost every thing else...

He entertains me...at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

I agree, he is entertaining. I laugh every time he talks about the "Coluwahdo" Rockies.

Problem is, for me, he's been coming off more like a clown lately. Especially with this latest stunt.

When I tune in to sports talk, I want to be informed, I want to hear something that makes me think. I want substance primarily, with a little bit of personality to go along with it, not in place of it. But I guess if the guy was a big-time Astros fan, I'd be singing a different tune. I can understand that.

And don't get me wrong. I listen to Mad Dog about 5 hours on average a week, during baseball season. He is very entertaining in small doses.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x97sx1NLloM]YouTube - Chris Mad Dog Russo goes nuts[/ame]

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN

He looks like Bruno :right:

bruno-b_2.jpg

Raceimages

Nov 17, 2008
Fairfield, CA
www.raceimages.net
I can't listen to him, actually I can't listen to any of these "hosts" who only know how to scream. I listen to MLB just because you can listen to an intelligent conversation and not some blowhard who just loves to hear his own voice.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I've listened to Mad Dog a little bit before but with Howard off for the last two weeks I listened a lot. I don't like him.

Oddly enough, he was complaining about the other shows on the channel but I think the show that comes on BEFORE his show, THE B TEAM is actually a really good sports show.

Mad Dog really ONLY talks about BASEBALL and he gets TOO into it. I love baseball but his analysis is crazy.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
JDP, you make some good points.

Also, I think it's pretty silly that Russo is getting on his co-workers for not being very knowledgable, when he knows next-to-nothing outside of baseball and tennis. He can't talk college football to save his life (no Chris, Oklahoma State is not in the Big XII North). He has to labor through NFL discussions, especially if it's anyone but the Jets or Giants. It was painful listening to him try and break down the NBA Playoffs. Hell, there's a pretty big 3-team NBA trade about to happen today and not even a mention of it from Russo today.

If he's going to do this for 5 hours again today...well it's already getting very old.

I like Mad Dog for what he is, and I think he's great during late August and September when the baseball playoff race heats up. But...if you want REAL insight and an all-encompassing knowledge of sports, well you can easily do better than Mad Dog. Charlie Pallilo in the Houston area is the best sports radio talk show host I know of, bar none. If Chris is really serious about getting talented hosts, he'd give Charlie a call. I'd rather him not though, because I like Charlie right where he's at, here in Houston.

Your right again AJ. I tried listening to Mad Dog,but I can't take baseball 24/7 and I love baseball. I don't want to hear about baseball after the series when college football is heating up. I guess I finally see why he was never syndicated with Mike like Dan Patrick and a few others. He is very very regional and only knows two sports inside and out. I hate to see this happen to his channel because it may hurt Sirius. If your channel is ranked that low and no one listens then something is very very wrong. I say it starts with Mad Dog himself. Sorry AJ, I know he's your boy and all.