Mac Snow Leopard 10.6

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
How many of you Mac Daddy's are looking forward to the Snow Leopard release? I've been reading up on this release and it seems while it won't be anything significant to a degree it will be. Smaller footprint, 64 bit rewrite of most all the Apple applications, along with the OS fully taking advantage of 64 bit processing. I could go on and on, but while this update won't bring tons of new functionality it seems to really streamline the OS for maximum performance and make some subtle changes to various existing programs to make them much better. This includes Time Machine that we've been talking about in another thread.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I'll probably get it on the new machine when it happens, but this beast isn't even on Leopard yet.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I'm in!

Rewritten Finder - looks the same, but performance is supposed to be way better. Guy here is running the Developers Release, and he's been impressed with the whole thing. Some neat features also coming with Expose, too, and how it presents open windows - makes it slightly easier to find the one you want if you have several/many open. (I use LOTS of terminals, so this should help out quite a bit.)

Hey DAB, don't forget to go here and sign up for notification (can't remember if it came up before) : Apple - Mac OS X - Update your new Mac with Mac OS X Snow Leopard
$9.95 instead of the $29 charge. Normally a version upgrade is $129, but as you noted, it's more of a sidegrade than an upgrade. Recent purchasers, though, always get a break if they purchase around the time official announcements are made.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I ordered mine on July 1. I can't wait for the date to get announced.

I will order the $29 version for my wife soon.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Hey DAB, don't forget to go here and sign up for notification (can't remember if it came up before) : Apple - Mac OS X - Update your new Mac with Mac OS X Snow Leopard
$9.95 instead of the $29 charge. Normally a version upgrade is $129, but as you noted, it's more of a sidegrade than an upgrade. Recent purchasers, though, always get a break if they purchase around the time official announcements are made.

Yes, MM told me about this in our other thread, so I placed that order right away. I will be excited to get it and load it up. I suppose this is more of a sidegrade than upgrade, but I'll take it for $9.95. LOL

The more I read about it the better it looks! I am glad to hear that the folks testing it are reporting good results. That is a positive sign! Some are saying they figure it will be released late September!

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Neat!

"Pre-orders for Apple's upcoming Snow Leopard operating system topped Amazon.com's bestseller list Monday, just days after the online retail giant put Mac OS X 10.6 on its site.
As of 3 p.m. ET, the $29 Snow Leopard and the $49 Snow Leopard Family Pack were ranked No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, on Amazon's software sales chart. The $49 Family Pack provides licenses for five Macs."

Apple's Snow Leopard OS snares Amazon top sales spots

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
As of 3 p.m. ET, the $29 Snow Leopard and the $49 Snow Leopard Family Pack were ranked No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, on Amazon's software sales chart. The $49 Family Pack provides licenses for five Macs."

Apple's Snow Leopard OS snares Amazon top sales spots

Wow that is pretty darn cool!

I personally love buying from Amazon! I've always had the very best service with them. I've bought probably 10 netbooks from them in the last 6 months and out of the batch had one bad one and they promptly refunded the full price. They ship fast and if a refund is necessary you'll get it within 3 to 5 business days after they receive it back. Heck they even pay return shipping!

I am fighting no crowds in a Mac Store, just like I didn't fight crowds to get my iPhone. Ship that baby to me!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Yes, MM told me about this in our other thread, so I placed that order right away. I will be excited to get it and load it up. I suppose this is more of a sidegrade than upgrade, but I'll take it for $9.95. LOL

The more I read about it the better it looks! I am glad to hear that the folks testing it are reporting good results. That is a positive sign! Some are saying they figure it will be released late September!

Good! By the time I'm ready to buy my new Macbook Pro it'll be on the systems themselves. Since I have an Apple Store within 10 miles of here, I'll drive up there that day and get it. :churn:

I may consider a desktop for home use at some point, but I need room first. :rolleyes:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I'll buy the laptop with my school funds, the mini would make a nice graduation present for myself, along with one of those honking 24 inch monitors to go along with it since I have no spares laying around.

As far as the laptop, the more I look at it, the more I'm considering the 15" for $1700 with a 250GB HD and 4GB of memory. My music collection tops about about 45GB so 160GB wouldn't give me much more than I have on this 120GB computer. And I want to put stuff on it like Microsoft Office, or Photoshop.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'll buy the laptop with my school funds, the mini would make a nice graduation present for myself, along with one of those honking 24 inch monitors to go along with it since I have no spares laying around.

As far as the laptop, the more I look at it, the more I'm considering the 15" for $1700 with a 250GB HD and 4GB of memory. My music collection tops about about 45GB so 160GB wouldn't give me much more than I have on this 120GB computer. And I want to put stuff on it like Microsoft Office, or Photoshop.

In my experience having the mini for a desktop and my MacBook Pro 13.3 for portable computing I couldn't ask for a better setup. The mini is a little workhorse, I did some DRM stripping and re-encoding of about 500 songs, some of which were huge because they were new age meditations which can be an hour long. The Mac Mini culled through them stripping and encoding much quicker than I thought it would. Now she heated up I can tell you the air coming out of it was freaking H-O-T. It never skipped a beat though. I have mine hooked up to a 22" AOC HD WLED Monitor as I am not about to spend what Apple wants for their Cinema Display.

Also just a suggestion, but buy the low end models and upgrade them yourself. You'll save yourself some money. I upgraded by my Mini and MacBook Pro. I probably saved $400 between the two upgrades and both of them have 4gb of RAM and 320GB 7200 RPM Western Digital Scorpio Drives. Then I have a 1TB FW800 for backing up with Time Machine. Since I am networked my MacBook Pro actually backs up through the network. Works GREAT! On Amazon I was able to get 2 pack 2-GB Ram Sticks for $40 and the WD Scorpio Drives for $60 for a total $100. Apple wanted $300 for those same specs per machine.

You better be careful ole boy you might just get replaced as the local Apple fan BOI around here. hehehe.. Nah, I kid... I gladly give you that honor.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
No doubt it is coming soon! Both my McBook Pro and Mac Mini orders still say September!

You guys ready for some SPEED? LOL

Also what is your take on having to hold down the "6" and "4" keys to actually boot with the 64 bit kernel on all computers except the Server?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
You better be careful ole boy you might just get replaced as the local Apple fan BOI around here. hehehe.. Nah, I kid... I gladly give you that honor.

Once you go Mac, you never go back. :D

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Also what is your take on having to hold down the "6" and "4" keys to actually boot with the 64 bit kernel on all computers except the Server?

A lot of the news reports seem to all be using the same originating post about the issue, and it lacks any references to the latest Mid 2009 Macbooks - even the screenshot most people are posting lists the last-gen Unibody, but not the Mid-2009 models with the SD slot.

Even so, at first blush, I'm ok with it since I'm guessing default 64-bit could break a few things like probably VMWare (unless they hurry up and get something out there) some devices like printers/scanners, and other specialty gear. Apple probably figures it's better to let those who know the issues handle changing the boot option, rather than risk a million calls to themselves and other vendors about "OMG! mY Doohickey is B0rked!!??!?!?"

All I know is that as soon as I can, I'm pressing 6 & 4!