Mac SL Update 10.6.1

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Just got this right now:

The 10.6.1 Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including fixes for:

compatibility with some Sierra Wireless 3G modems

an issue that might cause DVD playback to stop unexpectedly

some printer compatibility drivers not appearing properly in the add printer browser

an issue that might make it difficult to remove an item from the Dock

instances where automatic account setup in Mail might not work

an issue where pressing cmd-opt-t in Mail brings up the special characters menu instead of moving a message

Motion 4 becoming unresponsive

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: About the Mac OS X v10.6.1 Update.

For information on the security content of this update, please visit: Apple security updates.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Here's my screen shot:

mm-albums-drc-pics-picture255-10-6-1.png

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Sweet! Been having DSL issues at home the past few days, but it seems stable now, so I'm on it!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
MacBook Pro and Mac Mini updated with no problem!

I love how Apple don't play around with fixing even small issues. I have not really had any problems to mention. SL has been a very smooth upgrade and now with the update it will just get better and better from here.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Heh - painless for me, too. And glad I did it when I did, as I awoke to a dead DSL connection again.

As an aside, AT&T are consistently frustrating. Everyone I speak to, on the phone and in person are polite, more knowledgeable than most tech support people I call, and very helpful. However, the weight of their bureaucracy - and I imagine myriad of hybrid and bastardized systems patched together as they have re-assimilated back into the giant they are again - just don't make for anything happening very easily or smoothly. So even if the guy on the phone or that comes to my house know what's going on, they have to muddle through and muck about in a system that appears to have a zillion black holes and mazes to get anything done. :(

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
AT&T is a mess with all their various systems they have purchased over the years and melded together. I sometimes think breaking them up did more harm than good because at least if they had stayed one large company we wouldn't have the mess that we do with all these various systems being melded together. None the less I've been pretty happy with AT&T. We use a crap load of services between my business and personal use now.

I just wish they'd kick the 3G off here. They keep saying.. any day now. any day now! Come on!

I hope you get your DSL working again! That is the one thing I don't have at home with AT&T as I use Suddenlink Communications via my cable.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
MacBook Pro and Mac Mini updated with no problem!

I love how Apple don't play around with fixing even small issues. I have not really had any problems to mention. SL has been a very smooth upgrade and now with the update it will just get better and better from here.

Its funny how a Mac person can critizize a Windows Update as a sign of buggy software but praises Apple for an update 1 week after release of an OS. :whistle:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Its funny how a Mac person can critizize a Windows Update as a sign of buggy software but praises Apple for an update 1 week after release of an OS. :whistle:

Well I don't think you've seen any of the Mac users on this forum with that attitude, so you are just speaking in general and putting us all in the same box it seems.

I think Apple puts out a pretty decent number of updates at least that has been my experience since buying a couple of Mac's.

I think Windows users criticize MS about all the updates more than Mac users. There are times when you'll get an update almost daily and usually it is related to security issues, not bugs within the OS. MS fixes bugs related to the OS via service patches, unless it is an immediate critical one that impacts usability.

They both release driver updates for components and peripherals as they become available, so that isn't really different between the two.

I praise Apple because some of those things with Windows would have never been addressed until a SP was released, Apple got right on it and got it done!

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
AT&T is a mess with all their various systems they have purchased over the years and melded together. I sometimes think breaking them up did more harm than good because at least if they had stayed one large company we wouldn't have the mess that we do with all these various systems being melded together. None the less I've been pretty happy with AT&T. We use a crap load of services between my business and personal use now.

Just a quick update not worthy of a new thread -- DSL issues solved today. The one component that nobody though was an issue ended up being an issue. The stupid Motorola modem! It just happened to be coincidental that when I made the change over to the new line, the stupid thing decided to crap itself and die.

Spoke to the tech who came out to the house today - he confirmed my thoughts about AT&T. He said that Ameritech was probably better/easier/less complicated to work for because AT&T has taken the "corporate" thing to a whole new level, sometimes making things harder than they probably should be. And as has been my luck so far, he was competent. I really appreciate the guys that don't treat me like I'm a complete dummy, since I've wired my own home and know what I'm doing (mostly) when it comes to this stuff. He set a few things up for me to make life easier internally, too, without charging me for some of the wiring that he probably could have. So, while AT&T is a giant, faceless company, Hooray for at least not being too much like Comcast (yet).

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Just a quick update not worthy of a new thread -- DSL issues solved today. The one component that nobody though was an issue ended up being an issue. The stupid Motorola modem! It just happened to be coincidental that when I made the change over to the new line, the stupid thing decided to crap itself and die.

jef, I am glad you were able to get your issue resolved!

Those modems do give up the ghost as you found out. I know last year sometimes after 7 years my Cable Modem died. I woke up one morning and had no internet. I went and looked at the modem and there were not lights on at all. I unplugged it for awhile, plugged it back in still nothing. I knew it was dead! I went to local store a purchased me a new one, called support and they activated it for me. I was up and running within about 5 minutes. I always buy my modem, because on cable you can save anywhere between $10 and $15 per month. Keeping it just 7 or 8 months it more than pays for itself. You also don't have to wait on them to bring you one at their convenience.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I always buy my modem, because on cable you can save anywhere between $10 and $15 per month. Keeping it just 7 or 8 months it more than pays for itself. You also don't have to wait on them to bring you one at their convenience.

It's nice to be back on line... I forget how much I rely on the 'net these days for simple stuff.

I'm with you on buying the modem. With most DSL services I have had, you didn't get a choice and had to buy it (though they will often rebate you the hardware costs). Since this was "new" service, and I was using the old modem from my just disconnected dry-loop line, the guy just gave me a no-hassle replacement and took the old one with him. Nice!

To get things back on topic:

The update is installed and running fine. Also, I've been booted into the 64-bit kernel just for kicks the past few days - going to see how things turn out. Haven't tried Parallels or VMWare yet, but so far nothing else seems to be broken. I've been too lazy to move my VMWare images back over, and Parallels was a recent Mac bundle purchase that I haven't even set up an image for yet. I'll probably post updates about this to the other thread to keep it alive ;)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The update is installed and running fine. Also, I've been booted into the 64-bit kernel just for kicks the past few days - going to see how things turn out. Haven't tried Parallels or VMWare yet, but so far nothing else seems to be broken. I've been too lazy to move my VMWare images back over, and Parallels was a recent Mac bundle purchase that I haven't even set up an image for yet. I'll probably post updates about this to the other thread to keep it alive ;)

Sweet that is good news jef!

I look forward to your reports on your on going test on running the 64bit Kernel. I have yet to push that 6 & 4 upon boot yet.

I'll be looking for your post over in that Snow Leopard thread! :yesshake: