Mac on the way

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Sirius Rich, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Sirius Rich

Sirius Rich Well-Known Member

My MB will be here Monday the 29th. It took a little longer to talk my employer to let me have a Mac instead of one of the Dells that everyone else has. The IT department ordered VMware Fusion 2.0 to be pre-installed to work with XP. Anyone use this software and if so, how is it?

2. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Well I truly hope it doesn't work and your ass is chewed out for ording this piece of crap! LOL

I kid, I kid... I tried it, but with all my state contract intranets and plus my staff has to access so many various state and federal databases, none of them support Mac.

I know folks say well get a Mac and install Windows XP, but there is just too much added expense in doing this. I might as well stick to PC's.

Honestly I hope it works out great for you. I am strongly considering getting another one for me to use personally sometimes next year.

3. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

Why buy overpriced hardware, when for the same cost you can get a laptop that is even more powerful? If you're getting it for Mac OS X, then get a powerful laptop that meets all required specs and install it on a PC (google: Mac OS X86).

4. semipenguin

semipenguin Cheeseburger Connoisseur

I thought you were self-employed?...:right:

:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Sirius Rich

I sell technology in a commodity market. The MB presents an image that I want my clients to see. I have used PC's all my life and fell in love with my daughter's MB this summer. It is worth the additional cost to have fun working.

6. MM

MM Administrator

I do this with my MacBook that I got last January. I have VMware Fusion 2.0 on mine. I run XP (from BootCamp) and Vista Ultimate. It works great.

I am excited for you to get your own. ;)

I am thinking of updating in a year or so. I would like a 2nd gen MacBook Aluminum. The graphic cards are much better than I have now.

I suggest that you max out the RAM yourself. It is very easy, especially on the newest MacBooks. It is also very easy to add a bigger hard drive. I also did both of these to mine.

Let me know if you have any questions, I might be able to help.

7. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

Yay! One more Mac head around. :)

I use VMWare Fusion quite a bit, mainly for testing IE or Firefox on Windows against some of our Application servers. It works really well, but definitely get as much RAM as you can - it will make it that much nicer when you run it.

8. Sirius Rich

They ordered (2) Crucial 2GB 204 pin SODIMM DDR3 for additional memory. The MB is a basic 2.4 / 2 gig RAM 250 gig HD all with the 3 year AppleCare plan. I am sure I will have a few questions, especially if they allow me to DL Lotus Notes for Macs instead of the Windows version.

9. fineware

fineware Member

I broke the rules about a year ago and self-purchased an MB Pro. I was supposed to get a waiver but managed to blend into the woodwork without it. When I need compatibility with the rest of the Corporate Borg, I run Windows XP via Parallels, which contains a company-licensed version of Office 2003. Otherwise, I have my own version of Mac Office 2008 running under OS X 10.5.6. As long as I do my own regular Windows updates, everything works just fine. Now I have the best of all worlds all on one powerful 15" laptop:
    - Mac OS X
    - Built-in Linux/X11 compatibility
    - Windows compatibility (when I need it)

What more could a geek want? (other than the newer box you're getting...)

10. TheScionicMan

TheScionicMan Last non-Hating Stern Fan

My wife got a MB thru her school. (A projector too) They installed Xp using Parallels. That's what I use. They all use the Mac side of things.

11. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

The lack of a second button on the apple mouse kills me.

12. TheScionicMan

TheScionicMan Last non-Hating Stern Fan

It does seem so old fashioned. Luckily it will take almost any USB mouse. I use my trackball on it and its ready within 5 seconds after connecting it. Plug the same device into Windows and there's three dialog boxes and a search for drivers and OKing the drivers, etc and the HID stuff, etc. This is the place where Mac kills Windoze, IMO. The macbook even connects it and makes it available in Parallels in seconds. If Windows thinks its sinstalling it, things get all mucked up...

13. MM

MM Administrator

It's all about the hand movements. When I tried it the first time it was weird pushing down on the front of the mouse to click.

14. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

Proprietary OS's are for gits.

15. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

[​IMG]

16. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

Compiling is for gits.

17. North_of_Calgary

North_of_Calgary New Member

What are you guys talking about? The Mighty Mouse that has been coming with Macs for years does have a second button. It looks like one seemless piece of plastic but if you go into the Mouse configuration you can configure the left and right mouse clicks to work independently.

I think the default is only one button operation, and it may look that way as the plastic is seemless but it certainly is two button and you can choose to set the mouse to operate that way. As a PC user primarily I changed my Mac Mighty Mouse to work like a PC mouse with left and right mouse buttons.

18. Sirius Rich

Two buttons is a wast of a button. The MB is here and I am in Apple heaven. The original StarPlayr2 works like a charm. THANKS MM!!!!!!!!!

19. MM

MM Administrator

Just don't update it. You still want to be able to record. ;)

Sirius Rich likes this.