Mac Mini (Another New Toy)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

(If anyone read this when I first put it up, I do apologize, I had not proof read it before posting and it was full of typos)

I think most of you that frequent this area know I recently purchased a MacBook Pro. I totally fell in love with it within about day or two and the fact that I can run Windows on it, yet use OS X sort of sealed the deal.

Today my Mac Mini arrived and I am still unsure if I am going to use this at my office or home. I've been reading so much on folks taking these little things (yes I mean little) and making them media centers that connect to their large screen HD TV's. Right now I am still in play mode, but will decide eventually.

For the record I purchased the low end model 2GHz Processor, 1GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive. I ordered it from Amazon, which is one of my favorite online retailers. Along with it, I ordered 4GB of memory and a 320GB 7200 RPM WD Hard Drive. I had been watching videos on how to take the case off because apparently Apple really doesn't want end users going inside that case. YouTube of course had many How To Video's and so I watched several of those since ordering my Mac Mini. Tonight when I got home, I was able to get inside that case within 5 minutes had the RAM and Hard Drive replaced within 15 minutes and finished totally within 20 minutes. Most of those YouTube videos say it takes at least 40 minutes. HA!! hehe. Putty Knife and #0 Phillips are the only tools required.

I already had a monitor, keyboard and mouse, so connecting them to the Mac Mini was as simple as plugging them in. I fired it up, inserted the OS disc and away we went. I had everything back up and running within about an hour. I am now installing my Mac stuff and eventually will likely setup Bootcamp to run some Windows programs when needed.

One thing I will say is the boot time on this little Mac Mini and this could be related to the new update that came out today, it is quick. I could not be more pleased! I may adventure into trying this thing out as a media center initially then go from there. I'll share my experiences as I go along! Anyone else have a Mac Mini?

MM, jef, jon and some of you other scoundrels... You see what you've done?

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
You are becoming assimilated. :)

Fixed it for you!

I have taken apart my wife's old mini twice and both times it was nervewracking - the noises it makes while "craking" it open are just wrong sounding. Even though the second time I knew things would be fine, it still made me nervous to keep going.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
How much was it? :scratch:
Posted via Mobile Device

I got it for $579 from Amazon, the add on memory and bigger drive was very reasonable too. If I had ordered it customized from Apple $899.99. 4GB Ram and 320GB WD Scorpio Drive all total: $689.63 shipped. I love Amazon!

You are becoming converted. :) (Assimilated)

Yeah, you dawgs are costing me some money too! You guys know I can never do anything half ass. Once I a commit that is it, it is on!!! hehehe....

I have taken apart my wife's old mini twice and both times it was nervewracking - the noises it makes while "craking" it open are just wrong sounding. Even though the second time I knew things would be fine, it still made me nervous to keep going.

Yeah using that puddy knife on a brand new Mac Mini that has never been fired up was a bit scary, but I took the plunge. It does make a God awful sound when you are getting those tabs lose for the case to come off.

On a side note, I took that Apple Mighty Mouse back, I couldn't swallow that $79. It was nice, but after talking to several folks who told me the little scroll ball gets crappy after using it for a while because of dirt and lent build up. I instead got a look alike $20 RocketFish Apple Mouse. LOL I also returned that USB only Seagate Free Agent and Upgraded to the Firewire 800 version. It is twice as fast and was only a few bucks more as I didn't buy the one that said it was for a Mac because it was like $40 more. They are easy enough to format. Seem they love charging more for anything specific to the Mac. Watch um! hehehe!

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
It is twice as fast and was only a few bucks more as I didn't buy the one that said it was for a Mac because it was like $40 more. They are easy enough to format. Seem they love charging more for anything specific to the Mac. What um! hehehe!

I am going to upgrade my external soon. It is only FW400. So I have been using USB and it's been ok so far.

They do tend to try to get you by saying Mac ready. But, you're a smart dawg. ;)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I am going to upgrade my external soon. It is only FW400. So I have been using USB and it's been ok so far.

They do tend to try to get you by saying Mac ready. But, you're a smart dawg. ;)

Yeah the USB model I had really wasn't bad, but I figured heck since I just bought it, I might as well get the faster one. Initially when I went to BB they were out of the Firewire 800 model.

Yeah this OLE Dawg has taken notice of how the mistreat us Mac folks with pricing! LOL

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yeah I got the 1TB drive too as I figured it was worth it for long term use. I have a buddy of mine that went Mac crazy a couple of years ago. I went by his house this morning for a visit and my gosh everything he has is Mac. He has that 2TB Time Capsule with printers and all kinds of stuff hooked up to it. They are totally wireless N and he was showing me how fast it was to transfer files via the network. He said he went with Time Capsule because this allows him, his wife and kids to all use Time Machine for backing up, plus the use it as a media drive with all the music and family pictures. He said I never upgrade the hard drive on my computers because we have that Time Machine. I guess that is one way to do it. That thing is expensive though.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I got it for $579 from Amazon, the add on memory and bigger drive was very reasonable too. If I had ordered it customized from Apple $899.99. 4GB Ram and 320GB WD Scorpio Drive all total: $689.63 shipped. I love Amazon!

That's not bad. Sounds good. Have fun with it :)
Posted via Mobile Device

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
That's not bad. Sounds good. Have fun with it :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Semi! I still have a lot to learn, but it seems like each day I learn more and more. It is sort of exciting having to learn a new OS, nothing like new challenge. :)

If you want a small desktop that little Mac mini is hard to beat!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
This weekend I finally got around to setting up my Mac Mini to view some HD programming on my 52" Panasonic HD Television. It required just an adapter cable to go from DVI-D to HDMI. Once I plugged it in I had to make a few adjustments, but it actually looks pretty good. It isn't a Blu-ray player by any stretch. I even watched some programs using Hulu and Miro, both of which offer HD programming.

I am really now considering buying myself an HD LED LCD panel to replace my older monitor. I won't be buying an Apple Cinema Display as those things are $900. I have found an AOC which is around $250. 22" WLED wide screen which is HD. I've tested it out and the combination of price, reviews and my own test it seems like a no brainer.

What are you guys using for a display? Anyone using and HD display? I am very impressed with this Mac Mini. It does everything I could possibly need a small desktop to do. Running Bootcamp with Windows 7 worked like a champ, but I eventually downgraded to Windows XP Professional because there are some audio programs that even Win 7 doesn't support at this time and Windows XP Pro is the only OS that I had a full version of with a license. I have to say the Bootcamp 2.1 setup loaded all the drivers so I was up and running in no time. I do have a few Win 7 Professional upgrades coming when they are released, but I don't know if I will upgrade this Mac Min or not. XP starts fast and it actually very crisp for use with my audio programs. I also have a couple of programs I use (Omni Form) for creating forms and there is no equal for the Mac that is usable on both platforms. So, I am stuck with Windows in some areas of my work as well.

Here is a picture of that WLED HD LCD! I do not care for the red ban at the bottom, but on their web site it shows you can get these in various colors, I don't know.