LYNX - Android Screens

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA
It seems that the Lynx has it's own 3 Finger Salute. Once you press the sequence of buttons you get a Android Menu. There are also a link to the Linux second extended file system utility e2fsck. Here are a few pictures. At this point, I'll hold back the sequence of keystrokes as it looks like someone could do some damage to their system. But it looks like the choice about "Apply sdcard Update.zip" could be an interesting way to hack into the system....

141970982.jpg

141970985.jpg

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
How about that? Did you find it on accident, or were you experimenting and looking for it?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA
How about that? Did you find it on accident, or were you experimenting and looking for it?

My Lynx had locked up, so I was pressing buttons to try to get it unlocked. I did not want to pull the battery. At first I was not sure what sequence I had pressed, but then I started experimenting and found a consistent way to get into the System Recovery mode.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
This is the exact screen I use to install custom roms on my Droid phone. I use apply update.zip to install a new rom, so this could be a gateway to installing custom roms that could run. If I had one right now, I would try to install a stock Froyo 2.1 Build of android and see what happens, even though it would probably be bad. Sadly, the rom community isnt paying attention to the Lynx so a chance of a good dedicated Dev to create a Rom that works with the Lynx 100%. But this is very exciting to me, at least. Anyone who has the ability to should definently test running a babrebones Android build on this via the update.zip command. :D

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
The keystrokes can't be too hard to figure out. If its anything like my phones, it'd be power+a volume key or something similar. But yes, anyone who messes with this is likely to brick their radio if they are not sure how to recover it. Or at least get a Soft Bricked device.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I would try it myself right now if I had one, even though I'd risk bricking it. I've done enough tooling around with this stuff enough where I'd feel somewhat comfortable applying updates and trying to crack this baby open. I a currently posting on the XDA forums and asking around for anyone who might know if this can accept any roms that are currently out.

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA
I would try it myself right now if I had one, even though I'd risk bricking it. I've done enough tooling around with this stuff enough where I'd feel somewhat comfortable applying updates and trying to crack this baby open. I a currently posting on the XDA forums and asking around for anyone who might know if this can accept any roms that are currently out.

I wonder if my Geek Squad BB warrenty covers Bricking.....

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I wonder if my Geek Squad BB warrenty covers Bricking.....

Geek Squad can bite my butt. My new work laptop died today and they won't service it unless I buy a service plan. I'm not letting them service me.......

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I am already drooling over the possibilities. Getting a custom recovery on the lynx, we can do a backup of the radio system files, and flash new roms and 'backup' your current recordings and stuff.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
well, I would assume that could be done, if a version of clockworkmod recovery or similar could be flashed on here, it allows backup of the different partitions, etc. That menu is identical to a typical recovery menu on an android phone, but the 'recording partition' is 'internal sd' on my phone. So, if we can flash a new recovery on it (it looks the same as the default recovery, but with backup/restore options) we could essentially backup the entire radio, and even just backup or restore the recording partition, so say you have a big block of music you can backup it up, wipe it clean, record more, and so on, and restore your old partition as you need.

of course, this is all reliant on how easy it is to flash a new recovery on to the radio but in my expierence, this is something that a good dev could hopefully do easily.

SISO

Oct 11, 2008
3 finger salute. Haha wow, completely just had a flashback to the S50 days. What a headache that little booger was.

sordadead

Mar 29, 2015
ok 1st i am new here. 2nd did me_rubin get his lynx unlocked somehow? 3rd my lynx would not finish turning on. it would get to the (((siriusXM))) screen and just hang. pulling the battery did nothing, still hung on boot. SOOO i messed around with it and got to the screen posted above. if you try to do the wipe data/factory reset it will tell you it cannot be undone and offer you 10 no and 1 yes choice. It says it will "delete all user data" next to the yes. well i could redo MY data but it must erase the OS also b/c now it only boots to the system recovery screen but it will not recover anything that i can see. i looked far b4 i found you guys and i am hoping you have an idea for me. i drive a truck and have had xm since 2006. i still have it on the truck radio and phone and pc but i like learning so solving this should be fun. i am sorry bout the slop typing but i type slow as it is. also i might be a bit slow in replies but ask anything you think might help and i will try it. as it is the lynx is bricked so we cannot make it worse. thanks for any and all help. shane

sordadead

Mar 29, 2015
omg, i just realized this thread is from march 2012. thought it was this year. well...any help tho? shane

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Hi Shane,
Glad you found us, but sorry it's because your radio crapped out. Most of the Lynx's have been pretty stable, and we haven't had too many people with bricks. Not like the S50's anyway. If you want to try to tinker with it yourself, try sending DrDroo or Me_Rubin a personal message to see if they have any tips for you. In the meantime, someone else around here may have some advice for you.

Keep us posted.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I would try going back to that recovery screen, wipe cache, data, and recording partition. run the e2fsck tool and check each and see what it says. pull the battery out and remove any sd card as well. pop the battery in after a minute. see if ut boots any further. if possible put it in a dock and let it sit for an hour or so.

Reactions: HecticArt